• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hottest June ever on record

Summer has barely begun, but temperature records are already being broken. Data released today show that the European-average temperature for June 2019 was higher than for any other June on record. Average temperatures were more than 2°C above normal and it has become the hottest June ever recorded.
Although not as persistent as that of summer 2018, this short heat wave, caused by a mass of hot air coming from the Sahara Desert, was intense. The five days of unusually high temperatures followed days with record-breaking temperatures further east in Europe. This led to the month as a whole being around 1°C above the previous record for June, set in 1999, and about 1°C higher than expected from the trend in recent decades.

Although it is difficult to directly attribute this heat wave to climate change, such extreme weather events are expected to become more common as the planet continues to warm under increasing greenhouse gas concentrations.
Looking at the temperature data from a longer-term perspective reveals the month to be even more unusual. Merging the latest C3S data with datasets that extend further back in time shows that the June 2019 European-average temperature was more than 3°C higher than the average for 1850-1900.

Link.

58b0d39d29000020000c3103.png

highrider

Banned
I’m in the DC area, it was a stretch today before the storm hit. I was getting a bumper ready for paint and was rinsing it in the sun.. there was steam coming off the bumper. It was like that magnified sun lol.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Can't even tell the difference anymore. Hell is always hot so a few more degrees aren't noticeable around here.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
i'm in florida bitch how do you think i feel

my ac is out and i ran 6 miles today

i fucked up homey, shit is twisted right now

Can't imagine living without central ac here. I'd die.

RIP Phatom Dick.

LOLCats

Banned
not saying climate change isnt a real thing... but modern temperature records have only been kept for the last 150 years or so.

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
I was just reading about how in the south there are now super wasp nests. Apparently a wasp nest will peak at 4 to 5 thousand wasps, but seeing that the winters are getting warmer they are now able to survive them. Apparently in Alabama they have found nests the size of cars....

It's probably time we listen to scientists. Chernobyl was a good example of what happens when you let politicians dictate our scientific understandings.

Last edited:
High of 86 today and it started raining about an hour before work ended but it's still partly cloudy with high humidity. In the Midwest, it doesn't really feel like summer but more like a combination of the two warmer seasons due to the heat and rain. As soon as I get home from work, I'll turn the AC on and I usually leave it running overnight. It also helps me sleep better.

Yup can confirm. Here in southeastern Brazil it's been so freaking hot... it's supposed to freeze in the next few days tho.

Shit feels fucking GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD

I got out the gym today and I was basking in the sun like a fucken majestic lizard

the taste of water is the sweetest and the craving for life is the strongest during these times

HNMNNGNMGGHMMMMMMMMMMAEEEEEEEEAUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGHHHHHHHHHHSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSNAP INTO A SLIM JIM

Wouldn't mind some local warming here in Finland. July has been the coldest in recent memory. It's supposed to be the hottest time of the year here, but we barely reached 15 C in the past week. At least now it's getting back to 20+ but looks like June was actually warmer this year.

TacosNSalsa

There is a heatwave about to hit here in the north east and after that blackout the other night in Manhattan i'm taking the bus anywhere I have to go . I picked a fine time to tell my mom's landscaper I'll start doing the lawn..ugh..

Paltheos

I was just reading about how in the south there are now super wasp nests. Apparently a wasp nest will peak at 4 to 5 thousand wasps, but seeing that the winters are getting warmer they are now able to survive them. Apparently in Alabama they have found nests the size of cars....

It's probably time we listen to scientists. Chernobyl was a good example of what happens when you let politicians dictate our scientific understandings.

Oh god, I forgot about the super bees. Already made their way over from the Texas area, eh?

Even more nefarious is that they edge out honey bees too without providing anything back (well, aside from pain and fear).

Last edited:
Top Bottom