• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

According to NY Times writer Video Gamers are "niche fetishists" and Wii saved us all

jarrod said:
Well, given the recent delisting announcement... "what we already have on XBLA" is in jeopardy too! :lol

I agree XBLA has an amazing lineup built up, but it also had a year long head start over PSN and 2.5 years over WiiWare. Frankly, outside of GeoWars and Lumines, it's first year pretty much sucked too.

Mutant Storm, Hexic, Marble Blast, UNO, Cloning Clyde, Street Fighter 2, Texas Hold'em, Doom, and the Midway arcade games also came out the first year.

Besides, this wasn't meant as an XBLA >>> WiiWare/VC/PSN thing. It was meant as an XBLA am awesome thing.

jarrod

Banned
dammitmattt said:
Mutant Storm, Hexic, Marble Blast, UNO, Cloning Clyde, Street Fighter 2, Texas Hold'em, Doom, and the Midway arcade games also came out the first year.
Like I said, it sucked outside Lumines and GeoWars. :lol

I did forget DOOM though...

dammitmattt said:
Besides, this wasn't meant as an XBLA >>> WiiWare/VC/PSN thing. It was meant as an XBLA am awesome thing.
Oh sure... I just meant that it was something of a slow burn until XBLA became worth it, while those services have gotten their competitive edge much quicker. Granted that's probably to be expected with first out the gate, but I still think Microsoft fumbled with XBLA upfront (and seem to be doing so again now).

jarrod

Banned
Pureauthor said:
Did you just diss Street Fighter 2?

YOU TAKE THAT BACK. YOU TAKE THAT BACK RIGHT NOW.
No, I dissed Sensory Sweep's miserable hackjob "port" of Street Fighter II' for XBLA. I'm also dissing 360's embarrassingly shitty dpad. :lol

Seriously, Capcom should give all of us who fell for the promise of online SF2' in 2006 a fat discount on the HD Remix...

FightyF

Banned
jarrod said:
Well, given the recent delisting announcement... "what we already have on XBLA" is in jeopardy too! :lol

I agree XBLA has an amazing lineup built up, but it also had a year long head start over PSN and 2.5 years over WiiWare. Frankly, outside of GeoWars and Lumines, it's first year pretty much sucked too.

I think you're forgetting a game called
t827va.gif

And Marble Blast and Cloning Clyde and UNO and SF2 and MK3 and actually Lumines got in the before the 1 year anniversary of the console.

Actually looking back, it wasn't bad for a first year.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Campster said:
Even assuming the audience games wasn't about to start shrinking in the west, the rate at which development costs are increasing is quickly outpacing our growth. Gamers demand ever more complex looking games, which drives the costs of creation up, which makes publishers more risk averse, so you only get games publishers know will sell (read: games based on established gameplay and setting formulas targeted at the "gamer" demographic), as a result very little that is new or experimental is released, and as a result the number of people interested remains relatively static. It's very similar to the horrible mess that the comics industry got itself into - appealing to a specific demographic that keeps shrinking as you keep targeting them more and more strongly.

Great point by the way. Its one that probably a lot of people don't consider but it makes sense, especially when you compare it to the comics industry. Spider-Man and Batman may have a large mainstream appeal, but they are targeted at the traditional comic enthusiast, not unlike Halo or GTA or even Mario.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Stumpokapow said:
I meant number 1 and number 3. In Japan, it's DQ >>> FF >> KH. In the US, it's KH > FF >>> DQ (KH all three FF games, I don't have full numbers for KH2). We don't have Europe numbers. I see DQ as having the biggest room for growth, and FF in a general franchise decline even notwithstanding the PS3 install base.

So? It is still far and away the biggest seller WW. Potential growth is just that, potential. It has to be realized to mean anything. Also note that FF is the most diverse franchise as well. Its number one.

Fularu

Banned
wazoo said:
Your list has some turds going by ratings, but to support your argument there are 26 full fledged (no VC) games in IGN Editor Choices

and this list does not include even Lost Winds and Bloom Blox, some GAF favorites

Yup, SC legends is a turd (but I paid it 5$ so who cares?), I can't think of any other turd though, CSIII is fine as far as shooter goes and the rest is prety stellar (whether you like the genre or not is up for debate).

The thing is, it's extremely idiotic to say that the Wii system has no games worth buying or only has a handfull of those.

Even if you "only" buy one game a month (and that is much more than what your average gamer buys on a monthly basis), you will never run out of good games to buy for the next 5-6 years (provided games keep coming for the system).

It's the same for the 360/PSP/PS3 too btw, even though my 360 is mostly an XBLA box.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
The Experiment said:
You guys seem to act as if the PS3 and 360 are much more traditional consoles.

On the contrary, they are pretty much repackaged PCs. There are three types of major games coming out now for the PS3 and 360: FPS games, PC style RPGs, and unsurprisingly, genre crossovers that combine western RPG and FPS elements. Hardly the bastion of traditional gameplay found on previous consoles, unless the only machine you want to count is the PC. While traditional games are coming out here and there, PC gaming has dominated the console scene.

Since there is this lack of originality, the only thing people give a shit about is resolution, achievement points, and cool wallpaper art to put on the menu screen. Nerds now have moved away from gameplay discussion entirely and now have bitch fights over resolution, unlockables, and other pointless bullshit:

"Does pop up justify increasing the resolution?"
"Oh my God, I can't believe there are only 8 achievements to get in this game."
"Look! I saw that at certain moments of the game, it drops down to 55 fps!"
"OMG! There are N64-like textures on this leaf!!!"

Shut the fuck up. You guys can't claim that you are the traditional gamers when all you do is spend time scrutinizing minor graphical issues. It would be like criticizing Sonic because the background is repetitive. "Sega must be a bunch of lazy fucks. I think I even saw a moment of slowdown." You never saw this shit in the early 90s (unless it was really bad) but now if there is a slight hiccup, the sand in the vaginas of some of the "traditional gamers" is enough to resand the entire Sahara.

I'm hardly a fan of middle aged housewives dominating the Wii scene but PS3 and 360 owners are hardly qualified as gamers these days.

This is the best post to come out of this clusterfuck of a thread... when did "hardcore gamer" stop meaning a person who appreciates solid gameplay and attuned controls, and start meaning a person who blows thousands of dollars on AV equipment just to scrutinize graphics and resolution and pointless BS.

djtiesto said:
This is the best post to come out of this clusterfuck of a thread... when did "hardcore gamer" stop meaning a person who appreciates solid gameplay and attuned controls, and start meaning a person who blows thousands of dollars on AV equipment just to scrutinize graphics and resolution and pointless BS.

Except his post has been torn apart by many people and proven to be completely full of inaccuracies. I'd find a better horse to ride if I was you.

Top Bottom