• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Attorney 1-2-3 : gameplay footage from Naruhodo Radio #1, new screens

i wonder how the ds and ios verson look back to back... ;)

Here's one example:

eSkbC4A.gif
6h4xl6T.gif

Chunky

Here's one example:

eSkbC4A.gif
6h4xl6T.gif

Hrmmmm...
I certainly see where some people are coming from; the iOS version seems to have slightly washed out shading and it looks like it's missing a few frames.
But it's not like they've butchered the sprites or anything and I could do another playthrough with these no problem.

Holykael1

Banned
That's not a good example against iOS because people blink almost instantly and the ds version is more unnatural in comparison.
But once again, the sprites themselves are great, if they fucked up the animation, that's another story.

urfe

Was def going to buy this, but now it's wait and see.

Can still get the DS games new for around 1800 yen, so that option is always open.

casmith07

My first Ace Attorney is the 3DS version (Dual Destinies).

I LOVE THIS SERIES NOW. I need to get some more. As an attorney I love it even more because of how absurd it is compared to an American court room. (games are based on the Japanese inquisitional system).

Nishastra

Banned
There was more wrong with the iOS sprites than just not blinking. So many frames of animation were missing. A lot of animations became completely nonsensical.

Go load up Reunion and Turnabout in the iOS version and watch Turner Grey with his never-slipping glasses that he periodically touches for a single frame.

L~A

My first Ace Attorney is the 3DS version (Dual Destinies).

I LOVE THIS SERIES NOW. I need to get some more. As an attorney I love it even more because of how absurd it is compared to an American court room. (games are based on the Japanese inquisitional system).

You're in for a treat, then ;)

I really hope they bring this one westward, because original games are kinda hard to find for cheap nowadays.

Holykael1

Banned
You're in for a treat, then ;)

I really hope they bring this one westward, because original games are kinda hard to find for cheap nowadays.

Lies. You can get the entire 5 games released in the west for 130 canadian dollars through video games plus brand new - https://www.videogamesplus.ca/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=ace attorney&x=0&y=0

That's the equivalent of 83 euros, less than 20 euros a pop and equivalent to 115 dollars. It's totally worth it imo. That's how I got my copies.

Lusankya

There was more wrong with the iOS sprites than just not blinking. So many frames of animation were missing. A lot of animations became completely nonsensical.

Go load up Reunion and Turnabout in the iOS version and watch Turner Grey with his never-slipping glasses that he periodically touches for a single frame.

If they fixed the blinking then maybe they fixed that stuff as well?

Grief.exe

Lies. You can get the entire 5 games released in the west for 130 canadian dollars through video games plus brand new - https://www.videogamesplus.ca/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=ace attorney&x=0&y=0

That's the equivalent of 83 euros, less than 20 euros a pop and equivalent to 115 dollars. It's totally worth it imo. That's how I got my copies.

You have to admit, that is very expensive for games that are that old.

Maybe it is just because I am mainly a PC gamer.

Holykael1

Banned

Hmm, I am a PC gamer aswell but I have a different mindset towards physical products for some reason. For a brand new boxed product those prices seem very cheap to me. I would never pay more than 10 euros for anything digital though.

zigg

I may end up getting this (assuming stateside localization) just because my daughter refuses to relinquish JFA for my (currently on-hold) replay. 😄 Not thrilled about the reduction in animation quality though. Don't see why that couldn't be fixed up…

From that shot, it seems that the environments benefit the most from the new art, but those character sprites really suffer.

Easily - it looks like they went back to the original art assets for those. They're gorgeous on iOS, but the sprites ruin everything.

The drastically lower resolution of the 3DS screen probably mitigates some of the iOS ugliness, but I would have liked a proper re-draw of the art. Probably too much effort to invest in what is clearly a product out to make a quick buck.

(I preordered this sight unseen a few months ago, sort of wish I hadn't since I can't cancel the order. At least I'll get some nice physical extras out of it.)

missing frames everywhere ugh but that my only problem with it. the characters look sharper but the missing frames hinder it. still kind of want tho

I wished capcom went the extra mile and ported it using the AA5 engine.

Capcom...extra mile...hooo ho ho ho ho, my sides.

I'll buy this if it comes here but I gotta say it's kinda ugly and if it's just straight rips of the IOS games there are gonna be audio issues too

Grief.exe

missing frames everywhere ugh but that my only problem with it. the characters look sharper but the missing frames hinder it. still kind of want tho

The iOS versions had the GBA music for 2 and 3 I believe, hopefully that is not the case for the 3DS version but it should be in the back of your mind.

tsab

The Wiiware ports are 1000points a pop (except the dlc case)

I am holding myself from buying them in hope that the trilogy releases here

Holykael1

Banned
The animations definitely look choppier or maybe Im remembering them wrong?

Nvm they actually look ok.. Idk Im confused. Some look fine others seem to be choppier..
Nevertheless I don't see myself getting this. Already own the ds versions and it's not that much of an upgrade.

L~A

New gameplay footage : YouTube

Only difference I noticed in animation is the eyes blinking a tad "faster" in the new version. Then aigan, I didn't watch the whole thing. Anyway, looks fine enough for me, but I can understand it doesn't please everybody.

Muzy72

Banned
Looks nice to me!

Also, whole fucking thing is in English already?? Seriously Capcom, what's taking so long to even get an announcement??

Santar

They should have a orchestrated version of the soundtrack selectable for this.
They have so many sources to draw from. Layton vs Phoenix Wright, Dual Destinies, Gyakuten Saiban meets Orhcestra. Would have been awesome.

Do we know if this uses the DS music or the GBA music? The iOS versions used the GBA music in JFA and T&T, which was a far bigger problem than the sprites.

EDIT: Never mind; saw an answer above. That's great news. I'll be getting this then, as the sprites don't bother me too much.

L~A

You know, I'm astonished Capcom hasn't even made announcement regarding a western release. I don't expect a retail release at all, but each game being sold separately on the eShop.

Come on, Capcom... game are already translated!

Grief.exe

Based on all the videos we saw so far they use the updated audio from the NDS version.

Just the answer I needed. Now just need a eShop release.

You know, I'm astonished Capcom hasn't even made announcement regarding a western release. I don't expect a retail release at all, but each game being sold separately on the eShop.

Come on, Capcom... game are already translated!

I think it will happen. Would be leaving money on the table as the bulk of the work has already been completed.

rekameohs

Banned
Still don't like the "stoned Judge" look that good old Udgey seems to have going on. It was like that on iOS too. Maybe that's the intended look, but he looked so much better, especially since he's so quirky, on DS.

Top Bottom