• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ACLU issues Texas Travel Advisory, may result in violation of constitutional rights

https://www.aclu.org/news/aclu-issues-texas-travel-advisory

The American Civil Liberties Union issued a “travel alert” today informing anyone planning to travel to Texas in the near future to anticipate the possible violation of their constitutional rights when stopped by law enforcement.

The alert comes amid the passing of a Texas law known as SB4. The law gives a green light to police officers in the state to investigate a person’s immigration status during a routine traffic stop, leading to widespread racial profiling, baseless scrutiny, and illegal arrests of citizens and non-citizens alike presumed to be “foreign” based on how they look or sound. The travel alert applies to all travelers to Texas, including U.S. travelers from other states and U.S. citizens. In addition, this alert applies to all encounters with federal, state, county law enforcement including local police and sheriffs.

“We plan to fight this racist and wrongheaded law in the courts and in the streets. Until we defeat it, everyone traveling in or to Texas needs to be aware of what’s in store for them,” said Terri Burke, executive director of the ACLU of Texas. “The Lone Star State will become a ‘show me your papers’ state, where every interaction with law enforcement can become a citizenship interrogation and potentially an illegal arrest.”

Between 2008 and 2012, ICE requested local law enforcement to hold 834 U.S. citizens, some of whom subsequently spent days in jail as a result. Under SB4, the state of Texas is placing the rights of its residents, including U.S. citizens, in extreme jeopardy.

“It is simply a matter of time before illegal arrests occur. Local law enforcement will have to decide between violating a person’s rights and being severely fined, thrown in jail, or even being removed from office for choosing not to do so,” said Burke.

SB4 will go into effect on September 1, 2017. However, the ACLU is concerned that some law enforcement officers may begin to treat residents and travelers unfairly now. If you believe your rights have been violated because of SB4, please contact the ACLU of Texas at 1-888-507-2970.

ACLU “Know Your Rights” materials relevant to SB4 are available here:
www.aclu.org/kyr-police-immigration
www.aclu.org/kyr-police-immigration-spanish

I'm traveling to Texas this summer, so I'm worried. Stay safe when in Texas.

Iksenpets

Banned
I feel like this hasn't been getting nearly as much attention outside of Texas as it deserves. It's the Arizona papers-please law down to the letter, plus defunding any cities that won't comply and removing local officials from office if they won't comply. It's insane. Really hoping to see some court slap this down, and for someone to step up and run against our godawful governor.

I feel like this hasn't been getting nearly as much attention outside of Texas as it deserves. It's the Arizona papers-please law down to the letter, plus defunding any cities that won't comply and removing local officials from office if they won't comply. It's insane. Really hoping to see some court slap this down, and for someone to step up and run against our godawful governor.

It's not just our Governor but our legislature that pushed this trash through as well. But reality is that in the state of Texas many still approve of what Trump is doing and no one thinks he's incompetent. ugh..

jmdajr

Don't forget your Birth Certificate if you're brown.

Big Cities in Texas are rolling their eyes at this nonsense, but rural cops can't wait to sent back Mezicans!

Apharmd

I am so fucking tired of piece of shit Abbott and our dumb ass legislature fucking with my state. Fuck me man, I'm so done with republican voters not giving a fuck and everyone else suffering the consequences.

Ihyll

Parts of the Arizona law were struck down in court so I don't see why it can't be done to this law..the only difference is that Arizona is in a different district than Texas when it comes to federal courts

Apharmd

Said this before and I'll say it again. If Trump asks Texas leadership to hit themselves in the nuts their response will be "how many times?".

Was about to say except for the major cities. Its the backwards ass areas that are the big issues

Of course, but unfortunately there will still be some evil cops doing work in those cities. And they're the police so it's hard to pressure them.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
i find it amazing, i heard on the radio yesterday, the state of texas started a lawsuit with the federal government to find SB4 constitional, like a pre-emptive strike cause they know the ACLU is going to sue against it.

Said this before and I'll say it again. If Trump asks Texas leadership to hit themselves in the nuts their response will be "how many times?".

Except when it comes to that border wall. Most people in Texas don't approve.

i find it amazing, i heard on the radio yesterday, the state of texas started a lawsuit with the federal government to find SB4 constitional, like a pre-emptive strike cause they know the ACLU is going to sue against it.

It's why I started a monthly donation to the ACLU.

We have the most racially diverse city in the United States (Houston) and we have millions of minorities in general, so good luck.

Yeah the big metros, especially Houston. Texas is a big state though and I certainly wouldn't drive through there now. Staying in Cali will be fine.

Slacker

That's my state all right. We like to take the worst ideas from other states and say, "Hey, why don't we try that too?!" Last I heard we're working on an NC-style bathroom bill too, because hey, that worked out great for NC. I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't start importing financial experts from Kansas to help with our tax code.

Iksenpets

Banned
Of course, but unfortunately there will still be some evil cops doing work in those cities. And they're the police so it's hard to pressure them.

It gives me some hope that every major police chief in the state came out against this, but all of those chiefs are still running departments that have lots of shitbags in them who are probably thrilled to have this law.

It's not just our Governor but our legislature that pushed this trash through as well. But reality is that in the state of Texas many still approve of what Trump is doing and no one thinks he's incompetent. ugh..

Oh for sure, the whole system is rotten, but Abbott's a giant target whom so far it seems like everyone is too scared to take on. He pushed for this, and he's still trying to push through a bathroom bill, and I really want to see him taken to account for it next year.

We have the most racially diverse city in the United States (Houston) and we have millions of minorities in general, so good luck.

You should continue the welcoming environment Texas minorities enjoy by making it legal to stop people based on how brown they are

MechDX

Ann Richards was just too good for us.

Ann was awesome!

43d206ab06e54af259b50c667173b377.jpg

Iksenpets

Banned
But will they use it now that they can?

It's not even a matter of whether they can. They're now mandated to do it by law. Failure to enforce it can now get them removed from office and fined. Up to a year in prison for elected officials who won't turn their departments into local branches of ICE.

jmdajr

Oh you're not wrong, Abbott hasn't said shit about it. Dan Patrick however, talked up a storm about the wall. Fuck him too by the way. Racist shithead.

So ya'll know that they are trying to get rid of straight ticket voting. Why?
Because Dan Patrick's son lost a judicial seat when Clinton won the county with the help of straight ticket voting.

I don't think straight ticket should even exist, but NOW it's a problem.

It's all bullshit. All of it.

Apharmd

So ya'll know that they are trying to get rid of straight ticket voting. Why?
Because Dan Patrick's son lost a judicial seat when Clinton won the county with the help of straight ticket voting.

I don't think straight ticket should even exist, but NOW it's a problem.

It's all bullshit. All of it.

Hahahahahaha.

Goddamn.

Iksenpets

Banned
It's a subjective law though. Does it have quotas? If so lol

It would be treated like criminal charges, with the GOP-controlled Justice Department bringing charges against any official they believed to be purposefully violating the law. Maybe it'll prove too difficult to ever actually convict anyone of that, but that's what their goal is.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Well I'm brown and if I ever had to visit Texas or any red state I'd be sticking to the big cities regardless and avoiding anywhere else like the plague. This just reinforces that =/.

Top Bottom