• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ACLU issues Texas Travel Advisory, may result in violation of constitutional rights

Pastry

Banned
Let's not pretend like the big cities in Texas aren't racist as hell.

San Antonio is 50% Hispanic and currently has a female black mayor. Houston is mega-diverse. Austin is Austin. It's the boonies that are a shit show for the most part.

Iksenpets

Banned
lol Pretty much: How Houston has become the most diverse place in America
houstonlol_-_Copy.png

Lots of people pay lip service to diversity but would never actually live in a diverse city.

And it's not just Houston. Dallas' racial demographics are pretty much indistinguishable from a place like NYC, and San Antonio and El Paso don't show up on these diversity lists only because they have clear Latino majorities. Of the big cities, really only Austin and Ft. Worth are still majority Anglo places, and Austin's white people are overwhelmingly liberal.

But they're all stuck in this state with its awful government and gerrymandered districts, that leaves a place like Austin with 3 GOP house reps to one Democrat. People in Ft Worth and Austin live in the same damn district so that their vote can be diluted by all the country folks in between. It's insane.

Being diverse and electing minority mayors doesn't do away with decades of ingrained racial segregation and hatred.

Being poor and black in any of those cities is still way worse than the Coastal major cities.

Line_HTX

Well so far Houston has had a 3 term gay woman as mayor..and the new one is black.

I'm not saying zero racism, but racist as hell is a stretch.

Yep, I have faith in our Mayor Turner and I know he has done things right for the city of Houston.

houstonlol_-_Copy.png

Lots of people pay lip service to diversity but would never actually live in a diverse city.

Aww shiet, rising to 6.0%, let's fucking go!

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Friend was stopped for speeding a couple days ago. (DFW, don't remember which suburb city)

They were let off with a warning after showing their DL and registration, but he said they started to ask about where his social security card which made him really uncomfortable. (he's Hispanic and a citizen)

Rayis

You would think that turning disabled would make Abbott a compassionate, caring human being, but instead it unleashed his spiteful nature and he's taking it out on people unable to defend themselves, he's a piece of shit as well as every Republican in Texas. I loathe them and I wish the worst to them.

Friend was stopped for speeding a couple days ago. (DFW, don't remember which suburb city)

They were let off with a warning after showing their DL and registration, but he said they started to ask about where his social security card which made him really uncomfortable. (he's Hispanic and a citizen)

Since when do you need a Social Security Card to drive anywhere?

Rayis

Isn't Texas known for being this way?

In a way yes, but it's gotten quite a lot worse since Rick Perry left office.

When Rick Perry entered office, Texas was far kinder towards immigrants, undocumented immigrants even were issued driver licenses. When the whole Tea Party bullcrap happened it hit the state pretty hard and made it fly off the handle, even Rick Perry in his last years as governor shifted more to the right than when he started to reflect his increasingly hateful base. Things have gotten worse in the state politically.

Then again, this describes the country as a whole, not just Texas...just that Texas being ruby red makes the shift that much worse.

NoRéN

I feel like this hasn't been getting nearly as much attention outside of Texas as it deserves. It's the Arizona papers-please law down to the letter, plus defunding any cities that won't comply and removing local officials from office if they won't comply. It's insane. Really hoping to see some court slap this down, and for someone to step up and run against our godawful governor.
It involves hispanics and illegal immigrants. They're at the bottom of the "shits to give" ladder.

My friend moved up from Texas to live here in Minnesota. He had the classic "Texas is the best" mentality, despite being somewhat progressive.

I've been giving him shit about this and he is finally conceding that Texas isn't the amazing state they think they are.

I grew up in Arkansas which is even worse. Never going back to the South. MN, CO, PNW, East and West coast only.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
houstonlol_-_Copy.png

Yeah Houston has a bit of white flight going on into Montgomery County.

The diversity drops like a rock if you head up into the Woodlands, Cypress, Conroe, or any of the outer suburbs on the northside.

I also question the extent of the diversity in the more upscale parts of the inner loop especially on the westside.

Sugarland though is extremely diverse considering the income levels there. Reminds me of Irving in that regard.

So I guess my point would be that Houston still has a decent amount of segregation based on racial lines but maybe not to the extent of a St Louis or Milwaukee.

Rayis

Until recently Texas has had a pretty good relationship with its Hispanic population. See my link above for the 90's California reference. It might make you happy
I'm not quite as confident the California situation will happen here, Texas and California have very different cultures and a lot of Hispanics here are also very conservative. I don't see Texas going blue until its minority population becomes a plurality of the voting base, which is going to be a challenge with the GOP's love for voter suppression.

Top Bottom