• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Action Figure GAF |OT| Articulated figures murdered my wallet

Preordered the two new Mass Effect Andromeda figures today. Decided to get in early this time considering how quickly all the figures from the previous games disappeared. I'm seeing different dates for release though so no idea when I'll be getting them. Not a massive fan of the faces though so I think I may keep the helmets on!

img-0381-1487465978935_1280w.jpg

Yarbskoo

Preordered the two new Mass Effect Andromeda figures today. Decided to get in early this time considering how quickly all the figures from the previous games disappeared. I'm seeing different dates for release though so no idea when I'll be getting them. Not a massive fan of the faces though so I think I may keep the helmets on!

Heh, she's still got that dopey smile.

LiK

Ohhh, they come with alt heads. Cool, thought it was just with helm.

RedFox85

I've just ordered the NECA 1/4 1990 Raphael (Available right now in stock for 107$ on toysrus.com) as well as a few other things on Ebay (SH Figuarts DBZ Stuff) pray for my wallet fam.

NEO0MJ

So did Bandai even go to WonFes? I've seen barely any news covered for them.

Yeah, it's pretty surprising. I think we only saw Mazinkaiser and Getter 1 from them?

Plenty of Power Ranger stuff incoming. The upcoming movie, MMPR nostalgia, and their Legacy lines seem to be firing on all cylinders.

Too bad no new Megazord announcement. I was hoping to see either Zeo or Shogun.

- J - D -

Looks pretty good. Who makes these? Play Arts? I know they made the previous ME figures.

Edit: nvm just checked. McFarlane makes these. I guess they're known for Halo figures.

Looks pretty good. Who makes these? Play Arts? I know they made the previous ME figures.

Edit: nvm just checked. McFarlane makes these. I guess they're known for Halo figures.
Oh how the mighty have fallen...

Just a little history, McFarlane Toys (as in Todd McFarlane, creator of Spawn) has been around since the mid-90s. They started off producing figures based on Spawn characters, and grew to prominence because no one else was doing what they were doing with toys. This was a time when toys were still viewed as just being for kids, but McFarlane was making toys with the collectors in mind. Their sculpts and paintjobs were on another level, no one else even came close to what McFarlane was doing. Articulation was also not the strong suit of a lot of toys at the time, with the exception of what Beast Wars was doing with balljoints (and probably some other lines I can't recall right now), so McFarlane opted to make their figures miniature statues instead, with few points of articulation in the form of cut joints. McFarlane Toys amassed a huge number of licenses from classic movies (Terminator, Aliens, a lot horror movies), video games (Metal Gear Solid), anime (Akira), and lot of sports, and creating completely original lines (Dragons, Tortured Souls, some other weird shit).

For a time, McFarlane was on top of the world. But things change, Spawn was waning in popularity, NECA was becoming stiff competition, Toybiz and their Marvel Legends showed us that great sculpts and paint jobs in collector friendly packaging didn't have to come at the expense of articulation. McFarlane's immense library of licenses dried up, Spawn toys basically ceased to exist, and they turned to making articulated Halo figures in a "6 inch scale" (closer to something like DC Icons, so smaller than Legends, in reality closer to 5" IIRC) around 2008. Since then they've been doing Walking Dead and Assassin's Creed figures in a similar scale, with articulation, and probably some other stuff that I'm forgetting. Still making sports toys.

Ever since then they've sort been a shadow of their former self, unable to keep up with the shifting marketplace and the wants and demands of the modern action figure collector. Recently, they've almost entirely abandoned their former scale, and have started making larger 7" inch figures in their "Color Tops" line. Similar to their older stuff, they have a larger emphasis on better sculpts, with little to no usable articulation (they have these awful cut joints that are good for nothing). Each Color Tops figure has a plain black base instead of the varying diorama bases that they used to include with their older stuff. I don't really know what demographic the Color Tops line is for. 7" scale NECA collectors are accustomed to great sculpts and articulation now, fans of their 6" scale have been left out to dry, the collectors of the old style of McFarlane figures have moved on. They've lost the Halo license to Mattel before even completing Blue Team and Fireteam Osiris from Halo 5, so die hard collectors for that line are faced with starting over. It's a bit sad really.

All written from memory, sorry if I got a few details wrong, probably left out a bunch of stuff but this post is long enough as it is.

Garlador

Just a little history, McFarlane Toys (as in Todd McFarlane, creator of Spawn) has been around since the mid-90s. They started off producing figures based on Spawn characters, and grew to prominence because no one else was doing what they were doing with toys. This was a time when toys were still viewed as just being for kids, but McFarlane was making toys with the collectors in mind. Their sculpts and paintjobs were on another level, no one else even came close to what McFarlane was doing. Articulation was also not the strong suit of a lot of toys at the time, with the exception of what Beast Wars was doing with balljoints (and probably some other lines I can't recall right now), so McFarlane opted to make their figures miniature statues instead, with few points of articulation in the form of cut joints. McFarlane Toys amassed a huge number of licenses from classic movies (Terminator, Aliens, a lot horror movies), video games (Metal Gear Solid), anime (Akira), and lot of sports, and creating completely original lines (Dragons, Tortured Souls, some other weird shit).

For a time, McFarlane was on top of the world. But things change, Spawn was waning in popularity, NECA was becoming stiff competition, Toybiz and their Marvel Legends showed us that great sculpts and paint jobs in collector friendly packaging didn't have to come at the expense of articulation. McFarlane's immense library of licenses dried up, Spawn toys basically ceased to exist, and they turned to making articulated Halo figures in a "6 inch scale" (closer to something like DC Icons, so smaller than Legends, in reality closer to 5" IIRC) around 2008. Since then they've been doing Walking Dead and Assassin's Creed figures in a similar scale, with articulation, and probably some other stuff that I'm forgetting. Still making sports toys.

Ever since then they've sort been a shadow of their former self, unable to keep up with the shifting marketplace and the wants and demands of the modern action figure collector. Recently, they've almost entirely abandoned their former scale, and have started making larger 7" inch figures in their "Color Tops" line. Similar to their older stuff, they have a larger emphasis on better sculpts, with little to no usable articulation (they have these awful cut joints that are good for nothing). Each Color Tops figure has a plain black base instead of the varying diorama bases that they used to include with their older stuff. I don't really know what demographic the Color Tops line is for. 7" scale NECA collectors are accustomed to great sculpts and articulation now, fans of their 6" scale have been left out to dry, the collectors of the old style of McFarlane figures have moved on. They've lost the Halo license to Mattel before even completing Blue Team and Fireteam Osiris from Halo 5, so die hard collectors for that line are faced with starting over. It's a bit sad really.

All written from memory, sorry if I got a few details wrong, probably left out a bunch of stuff but this post is long enough as it is.
Just for some nostalgia, here's some of the McFarlane Toys I had and cherished.

They really were, at one point, lightyears beyond the competition.

LiK

I owned so many McFarlane figures (including a few above). They used to have the best sculpts I'd ever seen. Now they're mediocre.

I can only imagine Dark Souls figures by them during their prime.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
McFarlane made better X-Files figures almost 20 years ago than the crap that's in stores now.
Also, what happened to Halo is sad. Mattel is RobertCop-tier.
The plastic is the cheapest I've ever seen and the detail is softer than Trump's dick.

- J - D -

Thanks for the history lesson. I have very little knowledge of any collector-focused toy company (being that I only started buying collectibles for myself literally a month ago) and only made the Halo connection from an article I found on these Mass Effect figures, which is a somewhat comparable sci-fi game property.

So we can expect these ME:A figures to have limited articulation then?

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Thanks for the history lesson. I have very little knowledge of any collector-focused toy company and only made the Halo connection from an article I found these Mass Effect figures, which is a somewhat comparable sci-fi game property.

So we can expect these ME:A figures to have limited articulation then?

The Color Tops line is glorified statues, like Kotobukiya but cheaper.

- J - D -

The Color Tops line is glorified statues, like Kotobukiya but cheaper.

Oh...

Well that makes me much less interested in them. If I want a statue, I'll shell out the money for a quality statue. Breaking up a sculpt with joints that barely move is not something I'm interested in at all.

Garlador

I gotta say, that McFarlane Akira figure/statue/diorama Garlador posted above looks kinda awesome. I think I need it.

The whole Akira line-up from McFarlane toys was something else.

They had a whole line-up of anime figures at a time when no one else was making them or releasing them here.

I mean, American made and released Armitage and Soultaker figures. Good grief. They weren't afraid to venture out there.

- J - D -

The whole Akira line-up from McFarlane toys was something else.

They had a whole line-up of anime figures at a time when no one else was making them or releasing them here.

I mean, American made and released Armitage and Soultaker figures. Good grief. They weren't afraid to venture out there.

Wow! I especially dig that Ghost in the Shell one. Very dynamic.

I guess I missed McFarlane's heyday. :/

From a google image search it does seem they still make interesting stuff though. Like a giant Walking Dead prison diorama that you piece together. Very impressive detail.

I have that Tenchi figure. I used to the Soultaker one, too, but it got lost. I also have their Revolver Ocelot figure from Metal Gear Solid 2. I used to have Olga and Fortune, too. Don't recall if I owned any other McFarlane figures. There were some I was interested in (like the other Metal Gear ones), but I never got them.

TAJ

I have that Tenchi figure. I used to the Soultaker one, too, but it got lost. I also have their Revolver Ocelot figure from Metal Gear Solid 2. I used to have Olga and Fortune, too. Don't recall if I owned any other McFarlane figures. There were some I was interested in (like the other Metal Gear ones), but I never got them.

The Metal Gear line had a pretty nice Metal Gear Ray BAF, too.

TAJ

i like the kaneda figure, but like bandai's project bm bike better.

Uh, you know that the McFarlane bike is half the scale of that one and came in a blister pack for about ten bucks, right?

Artanisix

Just for some nostalgia, here's some of the McFarlane Toys I had and cherished.

They really were, at one point, lightyears beyond the competition.

i still got a mandarin spawn chillin on my shelf. it's dope asf.

is anyone into scifi or mecha statues/figures? i'm looking for some good ones (preferably larger scale, like 1/4 scale) to deck my wall with.

BBTS is like a crack den for me. Every time I go there and look at the front page, I see something I want. Just one more hit, and I swear it will be my last

great post, btw :)

I've recently started collecting McFarlane's Titanfall 2 line at least, and yeah, for the price, the scupts are pretty good

Top Bottom