• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Action Figure GAF |OT| Articulated figures murdered my wallet

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
I have never bought a "high-end" figure. I've purchased a handful of FIGMAs and Nederoids, and a couple nicer items from the Blizzard store that hover around $200.

That said, Lady Maria was my favorite boss from a game that surprisingly and quickly became one of my favorite of all time - Bloodborne. And, well, I just.keep.thinking.about. this damn figure.

bloodborne-lady-maria-of-the-astral-clocktower-statue-prime1-studio-902974-15.jpg

But it's $600. FFFFuuuuck. I mean, I could swing it, but that's a big investment for something I know very little about.

Is SideShow a decent manufacturer? Will they overproduce - what are the odds this thing is $100 five months after it releases? It's not supposed to come out for another year - is that normal?

Just looking for any thoughts/suggestions/insights from the experts.

LiK

I have never bought a "high-end" figure. I've purchased a handful of FIGMAs and Nederoids, and a couple nicer items from the Blizzard store that hover around $200.

That said, Lady Maria was my favorite boss from a game that surprisingly and quickly became one of my favorite of all time - Bloodborne. And, well, I just.keep.thinking.about. this damn figure.

But it's $600. FFFFuuuuck. I mean, I could swing it, but that's a big investment for something I know very little about.

Is SideShow a decent manufacturer? Will they overproduce - what are the odds this thing is $100 five months after it releases? It's not supposed to come out for another year - is that normal?

It's made by Prime1, not SS. SS just selling it. I dunno of their quality.

NEO0MJ

I did some reading on Prime 1 and they seem good. Some statues might have QC/fragility issues but if you contact them fast enough they'll help.
Personally I'd suggest you wait until the actual statue is out before buying. I doubt they'd sell out right away, at least the normal versions. You can still find Artorias, after all.

LiK

I did some reading on Prime 1 and they seem good. Some statues might have QC/fragility issues but if you contact them fast enough they'll help.
Personally I'd suggest you wait until the actual statue is out before buying. I doubt they'd sell out right away, at least the normal versions. You can still find Artorias, after all.

Artorias is F4F tho and I think they made more. Lady Maria seems to have a smaller edition size.

Anywhere have the Metroid Prime 3 Samus Aran figma up for preorder yet?

Up on AmiAmi already.

Artanisix

Prime 1 is very high quality. They distribute through Sideshow. They're pretty good on QC and their prototypes are very similar in quality to their production pieces. Odds that it is $100 after five months is ridiculously low. Still having to wait another year is on the long side, but not completely unusual especially for quarter scale figures.

EDIT: I'm also not sure where you're going to pick it up from as it is sold out already on Sideshow. Do you have a different website in mind? I've purchased from a few and can give you a heads up if they're legitimate or not.

I'm a big fan of the Prime 1 Berserk 1/4 scale statue but its a bit too rich for my blood:

grendelrt

Prime 1 is very high quality. They distribute through Sideshow. They're pretty good on QC and their prototypes are very similar in quality to their production pieces. Odds that it is $100 after five months is ridiculously low. Still having to wait another year is on the long side, but not completely unusual especially for quarter scale figures.

EDIT: I'm also not sure where you're going to pick it up from as it is sold out already on Sideshow. Do you have a different website in mind? I've purchased from a few and can give you a heads up if they're legitimate or not.

I'm a big fan of the Prime 1 Berserk 1/4 scale statue but its a bit too rich for my blood:
Their statues do look amazing, the new Guyver statues are hnnnnnnggghhhhh.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
At over 10 inches and with that giant head Groot is probably at least as big as their typical figure in terms of volume.
I don't believe $140-150 for a second. They charged $200 for Yoda, FFS.

Got

Banned
At over 10 inches and with that giant head Groot is probably at least as big as their typical figure in terms of volume.

I'd pay $250 so anything below that is cool.

- J - D -

And Groot comes with 3 head sculpts (or face plates)! How often does Hot Toys do that? Won't be cheap.

Yarbskoo

The Jakks 6-Inch Metroid is great. I love the flexible dome, and the articulated mandibles allow it to cling to objects, which greatly increases the display options.
QEyXK3t.png
lT9NhuE.png

kaNjVbe.png
TlkVv9m.png

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
For anyone who didn't back the ML 2.0 KS, the Mythic Legions 2.0 general preorders are now open! You have a full week to preorder anything and everything (closes 4/28 at noon PST).

The only KS exclusive this time around was an exclusive repaint version of the Sword Horsemen, but the regular version comes packed in with Thistlethorn.

wqSRUbO.png

Ask me if you have any questions
because Haloid's temp ban will be over soon what a goof

Yarbskoo

I'm glad that they re-released that Metroid. It was starting to get a bit pricey. I might pick one up soon. I only have the 2.5-inch one.

I saw an even smaller one at the checkout impulse counter at Walmart, but at that size the one that comes with the Zero Suit scale figure is a lot nicer, so I didn't bother with it.

Man, if they release a Phazon Suit figma, I don't think I could restrain myself.

KDash pls squishy 6" Metroid is heaven
The one I have is squishy, too! I love it!

I'm gonna wear the other one as a hat after I get it. Just you watch!
I saw an even smaller one at the checkout impulse counter at Walmart, but at that size the one that comes with the Zero Suit scale figure is a lot nicer, so I didn't bother with it.

Man, if they release a Phazon Suit figma, I don't think I could restrain myself.
Was the Walmart one in an open box? If so, it's the same one I have, but with a hard plastic dome instead of the squishy one. I prefer squishy myself.

I'd love to see a Phazon Suit Samus Figma, even though Figma's are way out of my price range. It'd look awesome.

Bii

I'd pay $250 so anything below that is cool.

And Groot comes with 3 head sculpts (or face plates)! How often does Hot Toys do that? Won't be cheap.

He's $190.

https://www.sideshowtoy.com/collectibles/marvel-groot-hot-toys-903025/

Yarbskoo

Was the Walmart one in an open box? If so, it's the same one I have, but with a hard plastic dome instead of the squishy one. I prefer squishy myself.

Yeah, that was it. I do prefer a squishy dome to a hard one, but I still really like the Good Smile variation.
PQIjxmV.png

Of course if you can't afford a figma, you definitely won't be getting the 1/8th scale Zero Suit Samus, which is fine since the 6-inch Metroid is easily the best one anyway.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I hope that Baby Groot sells out fast so I don't buy it. I don't need that Hot Toys evil in my life.

Bloodember

it only takes one to start the addiction bro

Lol, for some maybe, I only collect certain characters, that's it. Plus I have a price limit I keep too, most of the time. There are rare instances I go above it. I also don't buy a character I like if I don't like the design. For example Supergirl, she is my favorite. The new sideshow premium format has the worst face I've ever seen, that pissed me off, I waited forever for the figure and when they showed it, it was ugly.

I do buy some figures because I like the design or its cute, like baby groot. But that's very rare.

NEO0MJ

Is there any reason why they have what appears to be a spotlight/speaker on their shoulder, David?

That was the exclusive version that sold out, which came with a diecast goblet. The normal collector's edition (don't know why they call it that, though) is still available.

Got

Banned
Normally. what I have seen anyway, till they sell out or released.

I just preordered me a baby groot, first hot toys I've bought. I doubt I'll buy many others, I have limited space.

opted not to risk it so ordered it. $15 off too so the price was a little better. had issues putting in my credit card so had to use another but oh well.

Yarbskoo

So along with the Metroid, I also got the Makoto Yuki figma in the mail today.
QDyWdYn.png

He comes with enough parts to display either as an ordinary Gekkoukan High School student, or as the leader of the S.E.E.S.
IXpjq9d.png
m9Utzve.png

He comes with three faces. There's not much difference between them, which I think is actually appropriate for the character. I do appreciate that they printed both eyes on the face, even if only one is visible thanks to the hair piece.
d9DchqH.png

I'm not a huge fan of the chest joint, which seems to come apart a bit too easily and looks a bit weird from certain angles. I also kinda wish there was a way to make him stick his hands in his pockets, but that's probably not feasible for this kind of figure. Still, it's a cool looking figure for a cool looking character, and I especially appreciate the detail and chrome paint on the Evoker.

I hope we get some more Persona 3 figma, but I kinda doubt it. I'd pre-order a Mitsuru immediately.

^ These figures can be designed to put their hands in their pockets, a good example of that is the Jojo SAS figure, it comes with a special hands set (smaller with no fingers) and it looks OK, that's how I pose my Jojo figure.

Yarbskoo

^ These figures can be designed to put their hands in their pockets, a good example of that is the Jojo SAS figure, it comes with a special hands set (smaller with no fingers) and it looks OK, that's how I pose my Jojo figure.

Yeah, something like that would have been nice since it was a pretty common pose in the game. Maybe they couldn't get it to work with his jacket.

Also, did I already mention how detailed the Evoker is? God damn.
7zZLQfh.png

Top Bottom