• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Action Figure GAF |OT| Articulated figures murdered my wallet

Bii

AFOLs are nuts, man. Add the Star Wars collectors to that group and it is seriously probably the craziest group of collectors you'll see.

Well after the assholes that collect Hot Wheels. Never met a nice person who does that but whatever.

Damn, haha. This was nearly true for me up until I met one a number of months back when I was camping for an NES Classic. He was waiting for the Hot Wheels stock and we had some time before Target opened, so we shared what we liked to collect. He gave me a run down of the Hot Wheels scene and it basically boiled down to the die-hard collectors who are pissed at how the scalpers have ruined their hobby. The guy was cool and you can tell he'd be in the game for a while and have to keep up with all the young guys scalping everything.

NEO0MJ

You can't go wrong with any of them, I'd pick the chromed one myself. is that the Sentinel one or the new GX-75 Soul of Chogokin?

Like Apharmd said, Sentinel. While I was at first excited for the SOC version (especially since it's half the price) the final design doesn't work for me.

Sentinel. I would go for normal. Never cared much for chrome.

My only problem with the normal version is that the silver is too dark, and I don't like the silver on the side of the legs.

HT Dancer Harley up at BBTS. There's NRD even tho the product listing doesn't say it.

I'm sure Messi pre-ordered from Sideshow the millisecond it went up.

I went over just to look at the pictures, got distracted and ended up ordering the new Red Sonja PF. Those freckles fucking did me in.

Damn, haha. This was nearly true for me up until I met one a number of months back when I was camping for an NES Classic. He was waiting for the Hot Wheels stock and we had some time before Target opened, so we shared what we liked to collect. He gave me a run down of the Hot Wheels scene and it basically boiled down to the die-hard collectors who are pissed at how the scalpers have ruined their hobby. The guy was cool and you can tell he'd be in the game for a while and have to keep up with all the young guys scalping everything.

Wait, there are hot wheels scalpers? I had no idea lol. Does hot wheels release some cars in really low runs or something? Very fascinating!

Bii

Wait, there are hot wheels scalpers? I had no idea lol. Does hot wheels release some cars in really low runs or something? Very fascinating!

They have chases that are called Treasure Hunts and Super Treasure Hunts. They are randomly added to other series that are released and the scalpers would go through the boxes/stock and grab them all. You can purchase them for a few bucks from retail stores and resell them for $20-$50 each. A lot of scalpers usually get to the boxes before they're even out on the peg as they have developed a friendship with the toys manager at Target/Wal-Mart/etc. or they are the ones stocking the pegs, and grab it that way. A profit of a few hundred bucks from one store is easily attainable for scalpers.

I've never met a Hot Wheels collector that wasn't being a scalper. I know each hobby has their share of shitty people, but Hot Wheels always seems to be the worst to me. Such a weird thing.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
They have chases that are called Treasure Hunts and Super Treasure Hunts. They are randomly added to other series that are released and the scalpers would go through the boxes/stock and grab them all. You can purchase them for a few bucks from retail stores and resell them for $20-$50 each. A lot of scalpers usually get to the boxes before they're even out on the peg as they have developed a friendship with the toys manager at Target/Wal-Mart/etc. or they are the ones stocking the pegs, and grab it that way. A profit of a few hundred bucks from one store is easily attainable for scalpers.
I remember when I worked at Target while in high school in 99/2000, the Hot Wheels collectors were the woooorst. Every Sunday morning there'd be like 4-5 guys waiting outside before we opened and they'd run to the toy aisle and find the cars they wanted. We were instructed to never go to the back and bring out new stock or search for stock when they'd ask us. Those guys even knew the box ID number which the car would be in and ask us to go to the back room and look for it. What sucked even more is that back then we used those LRT guns to check stock and the display was pretty big, so they'd look over your shoulder to see if the device said we had more in the back and get all pissed if you told them we weren't supposed to go bring out new stock when the stuff on the shelves was still packed.

Had to bend the knee and take one foot off the base to get him to fit but he is damn cool. Fantastic detail and quality build. From the knees down is metal.

Here he is being a Rebel spy.

uxCuUKH.jpg

Muchacho

Ryu is still supposed to be Japanese, right?

Yeah I don't remember him ever looking very japanese since SF1. We know he from Japan but aint nobody know who his daddy is.

Not a big fan. Few have really impressed me. There was the Super SFIV one that had Shinkiro vibes. Also, I just came across this on ebay that is based on the SSFII intro

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Street-Fi...d=322696026159&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

I kinda like it.

I saw a few variations of that one on BBTS.
The face on the classic one looks a bit off though.

Classic Ryu 1/6
http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/40948

Evil Ryu 1/6
http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/40950

Classic Ryu 1/4
http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/40946

These Pop Culture Shock Toys ones also look great.

PCS-SFV-Ryu-Statue-002.jpg
classic-ryu-statue-by-pop-culture-shock-25.jpg
pop-culture-shock-toys-5.jpg

Messi

I've never met a Hot Wheels collector that wasn't being a scalper. I know each hobby has their share of shitty people, but Hot Wheels always seems to be the worst to me. Such a weird thing.

No scalpers in the Harley market. We are all friendly rational people who help each other in the love of collecting.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Shots aren't really effective when Haloid is already dead inside

Also yeah, Hot Wheels scalpers are a crazed bunch. I like to get some every so often but don't bother hunting for the super duper rare ones unless they're Nintendo related or special vehicles.

Mate, I come here to finally post a finished shelf pic and this is the type of hate I see? SHAMEFUL.
SCALPERS ARE TRASH AND THEY SMELL
I only collect Corvettes, tho. 700+ and counting~

Here's my figure collection so far: (All the other shelves are Gunpla, so I don't think I should post them here. lol)
The Voltron will be customized soon, but school is killing me. >.>

How do I make Haloid or Messi money?

If you're Messi, you just take out loans. If you're me, you pull 70 hour weeks for a salaried check that's really good but doesn't cover the overtime I'd get if I wasn't.

Mate, I come here to finally post a finished shelf pic and this is the type of hate I see? SHAMEFUL.
SCALPERS ARE TRASH AND THEY SMELL
I only collect Corvettes, tho. 700+ and counting~

Here's my figure collection so far: (All the other shelves are Gunpla, so I don't think I should post them here. lol)

The Voltron will be customized soon, but school is killing me. >.>

I don't mean to offend anyone here except Messi. Hot Wheels collectors were the bane of my existence when I was collecting Star Wars 3.75" at retail back in the day. Only time I've ever stolen something out of someone's cart was when this guy went into TRU and just pushed pegs of the Legacy Collection EU wave into his cart while I'm trying to grab a set. He went down the Hot Wheels aisle and I stole the last figure I needed from his cart and hauled ass. Fuck scalpers, who also like Hot Wheels.

Only time I've ever stolen something out of someone's cart was when this guy went into TRU and just pushed pegs of the Legacy Collection EU wave into his cart while I'm trying to grab a set. He went down the Hot Wheels aisle and I stole the last figure I needed from his cart and hauled ass. Fuck scalpers, who also like Hot Wheels.
hahaha

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
You can make Diggeh money by wheelin' and dealin' Hot Wheels all day everyday! It's all in my new book, "To The Scalpermobile!".

FFFFUUUUUU I had some fraudulent charges on one of my credit cards over the past few days. I bet it was Haloid.

*sigh* Card company is taking care of it, but I have to wait for the new card. Already put out a Fraud Alert and everything.

I don't know if it's because he is new or just has that much presence but I smile every time I see K2SO. Even had to put him front and middle. Just a damn good figure.

tcXj4b4.jpg

ITSMILNER

GAF, I'm looking to pick up some S H Figuarts figures to display in my room, I'm looking on eBay and can see they have some China KO versions (I assume these are knockoffs?)

What are the quality of these China versions? Are they good enough versions or are they not worth picking up? The actual figuarts are a bit too pricey for my liking

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
GAF, I'm looking to pick up some S H Figuarts figures to display in my room, I'm looking on eBay and can see they have some China KO versions (I assume these are knockoffs?)

What are the quality of these China versions? Are they good enough versions or are they not worth picking up? The actual figuarts are a bit too pricey for my liking

You get what you pay for. dun do

I like the DC Multiverse figures, but I kinda wish they weren't squeezing a Batman into every wave. But that one did look good from the pics I've seen. I don't think I've seen that Rookie wave yet anywhere, though.

I think only the Wonder Woman movie wave didn't have a Batman. Though I think that the Clayface wave that's coming out soon won't have one, either, unless they haven't revealed it yet. But it does have other Batman characters. Which I'm okay with. Just getting a bit tired of buying some many Batman's...and no one in my area seems to want them, so it's all that I can find.

HT Punisher shipping from Sideshow next month. Have him ordered on BBTS. Looking forward to that one, love me some quality Punisher figures.

Top Bottom