• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Activision: $500m spent on Destiny “shows the confidence we have” in the IP

Toemon

Banned
For reference, Microsoft spent $500 million on marketing alone for the original Kinect.

Not really comparable since that was on advertising, shipping, localization and game support. This was literally for one game if the OP is to be believed.

sjay1994

Fuckery.

Those that pre-ordered the PS3 Digital Guardian Edition can't access some or all of the DLC, or even the game itself. Can't upgrade to PS4 either. If you try to access any piece of Destiny content on PSN it prompts you to purchase it...again.

Having the same problem on PS4.

I can play the game, but can't acess the digital guardian stuff

Kyo645

Banned
Fuckery.

Those that pre-ordered the PS3 Digital Guardian Edition can't access some or all of the DLC, or even the game itself. Can't upgrade to PS4 either. If you try to access any piece of Destiny content on PSN it prompts you to purchase it...again.

They changed the wording on their website yesterday to reflect that the upgrade will come tomorrow

The PlayStation®4 digital upgrade will be available to you as close to launch as possible. We anticipate the PlayStation®4 version will be ready for you by Wednesday 9/10 at 6pm PDT, but please check back here for updates. Unfortunately, the PlayStation®4 upgrade will NOT be available for pre-order or pre-load.

Not being able to access the dlc sucks though :( hope they fix it

MilesTeg

Banned
So they really spent $500m on one game? Is this Activision trying to snatch back records from Rockstar?

It's Activision trying to build up an IP to the scale of Call of Duty. They want another cash cow and right now it looks like they've got it. Of course, they don't own the IP or Bungie, but that doesn't really matter.

legend166

I knew the "$500 million is for the whole decade" line made no sense. Let's say they put out 3 games in a decade - that's $166 million per game. We already know Activision have no problem throwing out $200+ million in marketing for COD games, and this is their next COD, so I wouldn't expect anything less. So let's say $300 for marketing + a $200 million development, and you've got yourself $500 million.

Now, obviously you'd expect a lot of that initial development cost won't be needed for the sequels.

$775M just for the Zeppelin song.

It costs about 600k-800k for most big-name music licensing in commercials, combining 6 months of tv play in the big 6 markets in addition to online use.

Outliers are the Rolling Stones, etc. It's pretty rare for anyone to get over a million.

Majukun

how the hell did they spent so much?did they start setting piles of money on fire to keep the office warm?

KageMaru

Yeah, I just noticed that. That's insane.

And it does seem that most of gaf (including myself) thought $500m was the franchise deal not just this one game.

Well they aren't going to start the next game from scratch, so this money can also be seen as an investment towards the future of the franchise.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I wonder how much they spent on the Paul McCartney song. The whole endeavour just seem so stupid. If they spent their time ensuring the game was good it would likely have had far better legs.

Jarmel

Banned
Would be ridiculous if that's just for the one game, especially considering that both activision and bungie have previously gone on record to say that $500 million was an investment in the franchise for the next 10 years, with Destiny 1's budget closer to $180 million.

Nobody has flat out said what Destiny's development costs were as far as I'm aware. The closest we have is the pre-delay contract from the Activision lawsuit that had just the development costs for Destiny pegged at $150 million and that's before the delay.

Top Bottom