• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Adam Boyes Confirms: Call of Duty: Ghosts is Native 1080p on PS4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't necessarily count on that. There is an inherent ceiling in the XBO's architecture concerning resolutions and certain widespread rendering approaches. Forcing 1080p might not be possible without crossing out techniques and the visuals that come with them. A g-buffer with a depth of 12bytes already consumes ~24MB of space at 1080p.

at least, that is what CBOAT seems to be suggesting. he's pretty confident 720p and 900p are going to be pretty standard on Xbox One.

and it's not like 1080p became more common over time on the PS3 and 360.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I took this screenshot and downscaled it to 1600x900 then upscaled it again to 1080 with Lanczos algorithm. This is the result. Try to save both and alternate between them. The second is more blurry, of course, but I bet it would be almost impossible to notice in movement and after applying some filters. I would probably fail a blind test on those and I sit very close to my 32" display. Remember that all first-hand reports are from gaming shows where lighting conditions aren't really good, people just have a few minutes to soak in everything and nobody is pixel counting.

Why wouldn't devs use it? HUD and text in general would suffer the most, as well as tiny elements of graphics (which is why high res is so important in a game like BF). X1 has display planes and can overlay 1080p HUD over any resolution. Can PS4 do that? I have no idea. I also don't know anything about hardware scalers in both. Also devs are usually ambitious people. If hardware allows 1080p and it's along their design of the game then why not have the best IQ possible?
That's wildly inaccurate, I'm afraid as the source shot is too well anti-aliased. If they were doing 1600x900 with supersampling then, sure, the resulting image would be pretty good even though it's pixels still wouldn't line up with the display. Remove that high-quality AA, though, and things look a lot worse.

That's wildly inaccurate, I'm afraid as the source shot is too well anti-aliased. If they were doing 1600x900 with supersampling then, sure, the resulting image would be pretty good even though it's pixels still wouldn't line up with the display. Remove that high-quality AA, though, and things look a lot worse.

exactly. where there is aliasing in 1080p games I can see it on my TV at normal viewing distances.

720p games look much worse on my TV than 720p TV and movies, because the IQ of the 720p games are much worse to begin with.

if they were able to do 1600 x 900 with supersampling, they wouldn't be doing 1600 x 900.

geordiemp

I took this screenshot and downscaled it to 1600x900 then upscaled it again to 1080 with Lanczos algorithm. This is the result. Try to save both and alternate between them. The second is more blurry, of course, but I bet it would be almost impossible to notice in movement and after applying some filters. I would probably fail a blind test on those and I sit very close to my 32" display. Remember that all first-hand reports are from gaming shows where lighting conditions aren't really good, people just have a few minutes to soak in everything and nobody is pixel counting.

Why wouldn't devs use it? HUD and text in general would suffer the most, as well as tiny elements of graphics (which is why high res is so important in a game like BF). X1 has display planes and can overlay 1080p HUD over any resolution. Can PS4 do that? I have no idea. I also don't know anything about hardware scalers in both. Also devs are usually ambitious people. If hardware allows 1080p and it's along their design of the game then why not have the best IQ possible?

If you are OK with lower resolution that's cool.

Don't think you will persuade many around here though...

Why would PS4 need a scaler ?

Why should any next gen console IF its been properly designed to do 1080 in the first place.

I think that if a console has a scaler then the designers almost know they cant achieve what they really wanted to...

You did this totally wrong. The Xbox One won't be supersampling a 1600x900 image from 1080p. That results in far less jaggies and blue than an image in native 1600x900 upscaled to 1080p.

The difference is noticeable. The only people who don't think so are simply trying to justify their preferred console. From an objective standpoint, the image is less sharp.

Why are people okay with this? It's like people defending Halo 3's sub hd resolution... I don't get it.

Azlan

Since every comment seems to create a s**tstorm, here goes.

Go back and read what I said – not other people’s *interpretation* of what I said.

I was getting a lot of tweets asking about the issue of resolution. I’ve seen the game, then I saw the PS4 footage, and I simply suggested that people wait for footage on both platforms to debate.

I’ve said this exact same thing on this forum several times. But nobody reads the posts, people then just start to assume things or read into things, or then call into question my honesty. Let’s put this to bed.

Here’s a fact that will blow your mind.

The guy that runs 3rd party relations for Xbox is one of my best friends. And we have to play this information game all the time. He has the utmost respect for the confidentiality of partner details. So I did call him and ask him, and he told me very directly “You don’t need to know”

End of conversation. End of speculation.

Nobody at MS will comment on this. Most people don’t know. This is Activision’s product, and it’s completely up to them on how/when they want to show this product, why they choose to roll-out their game in a certain way, and what platforms they choose to show on.

There is no point in lying about anything. If I did know, I would have just said “I can’t say”. You all would have gotten the same answer.

So please, let’s be careful on the “lying” and “obfuscation” memes around here. Read what I post. I ignore 99% of the insults here because they are clearly a result of people not actually reading.

That said, keep up the .gifs. Those I love.

That is the last Albert said on the situation as far as I know. I tend to believe him, but honestly that just points to the rumor being completely true anyways. I wouldn't be surprised if this is completely up to Activision as to how and when they want this information revealed. Just posting for some of the people talking about Panello lying in case they hadn't seen it.

vpance

Well, he has been warned that, unlike Reddit, if he lies here he'll get banned. This forum is very strict with its moderation. That's one of my favorite things about it, as it (generally) allows for better conversations without massive amounts of uninformed FUD shitting up the thread.

He said he asked his MS friend what the res was, and he told him, "you don't need to know". That is a good friend. Seriously, it makes Albert's job a lot easier if he remains uninformed.

Corto

tumblr_luxewnyfW11r3gup8o1_400.gif

I seriously doubt that. He takes his hints pretty seriously, and that post is unbelievably dry if it's a joke.

more badly worded. the question over them being different in the context of this thread and the storm it would cause made me think he was having a bit of fun.

apologies if wrong.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I have a question: If you have a 720p game, how does it upscale the textures to 1080p? How do they create 1080p assets from a 720p game? I've often wondered this when the topic of upscaling is brought up. If it looks better, how the the hell does it achieve it!?

StuBurns

Banned
I have a question: If you have a 720p game, how does it upscale the textures to 1080p? How do they create 1080p assets from a 720p game? I've often wondered this when the topic of upscaling is brought up. If it looks better, how the the hell does it achieve it!?
It doesn't. There's not '720p' textures as such. The greater the IQ, the greater the texture detail you can resolve, so you want less compressed textures, but there's nothing as formal as specific texture quality for resolutions.

it doesn't work that way at all. the textures can be any resolution. those textures are wrapped around the geometry in game. if the textures are very detailed, you may not be able to see all the detail at 720p. conversely, if the textures aren't that detailed, they make look fine at 720p and look smeared and overly stretched out at 1080p.

generally, you'll find examples of both these things in most games, as different sized textures get used all over the game environment.

1080p is just the resolution the game is rendered at. it's just a harsher light shining on the assets. many games hold up really well under that harsher light without any special efforts.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
About BF4... DICE doesn't fuck around with hardware. They are serious about tech. They wouldn't hamstring a game and....

About EA... They are backtracking quite a bit lately on their relationship with Microsoft and keep mentioning that they are platform agnostic. They aren't stupid, they see the projections and they like money.

Again, I don't have the slightest clue what BF4 is like on the xbox one. But I am confident about the two statements above. The whole "forced parity" thing has been paranoia from the start.

Is the bolded entirely your own opinion or have you actually heard there's a change in wind direction?

stryke

Lol poor guy.. He was the one 'having fun' and all gaf thought he was serious lol. I don't think he knows anything..

The moment one person gets away with it by "having fun", its sets a bad precedent for others to pretend to have info and then use the excuse to avoid bannings.

Believe it or not, the mods here have standards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom