• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Adam Ruins Everything - Why People Think Video Games Are Just for Boys

Mael

I wonder if they are still rolling it out regionally or something?

My Target still has pink sections, but that's a result of the actual products. You can't make a Barbie section that's not pink, for example.

My Target is organized by toy type. This still creates "doll sections" and "action figure" sections, but they are all presented strictly by their brand and not who they are made for. If you're a girl who wants a Ninja Turtle, you go to the Ninja Turtle section under action figures. If you're a boy who wants a Disney Princess doll, you go to the Disney section under dolls.

The toys are simply presented "as they are," without pushing or reinforcing any sort of gender targeting in the aisle headings or in-aisle graphics.

Lego is Lego. There are no boy Legos or girl Legos. You know what I mean?

Better tell Lego
Lego_Friends_LovelyHotel_Package.jpg

Better tell Lego

Well, yeah. Target unfortunately can't control the actual product packaging or branding. I appreciate what they have managed to do that's within their control.

Guess you're not paying attention to LEGO, because they definitely have been doing boy LEGO and girl LEGO for years.

Again, I'm talking about improvement of in-store organization. Gendered toys still exist and are marketed as such.

Toxi

Banned
That joke aside, the sad thing is Nintendo hasn't really gotten much better since the 80s & 90s. They make a platformer that is directed at girls? The main character is a hyper-emotional woman whose powers of crying etc. get her through the game. They focus more on the character & story of one of their most iconic female characters? That character becomes an over-emotional mess, once again. And their image of "girls' games" even in 2015 is Style Savvy. Instead of just making games with compelling female characters that girls might want to play as as a way to maybe widen their appeal, Nintendo's answer is a dress-up game.
I think modern Nintendo is actually mostly improved. The Wii's marketing was gender neutral, and they're making an effort to have more playable female characters for their games (Dixie Kong returning, Rosalina and Peach being playable in Mario 3D World). One of their newest mascots, the Inkling, is predominantly shown in the female variety.

Yes, Other M was horrible, but I think that was less due to an attempt to market it to boys and more due to Yoshio Sakamoto not knowing how to write for shit.

SomTervo

So it's all Nintendo's fault?

*runs*

Seriously, I'm not sure I can accept the claim that the entire direction of gaming for 30 years is as a result of Nintendo deciding to stock consoles in the boys section of toy stores.

IIRC all their advertising and box designs became boy-focused too. The change was the result of market research which paved the way for coming decades of homogenisation.

Mael

Well, yeah. Target unfortunately can't control the actual product packaging or branding. I appreciate what they have managed to do that's within their control.

Again, I'm talking about improvement of in-store organization. Gendered toys still exist and are marketed as such.

Ok makes sense.

I think modern Nintendo is actually mostly improved. The Wii's marketing was gender neutral, and they're making an effort to have more playable female characters for their games (Dixie Kong returning, Rosalina and Peach being playable in Mario 3D World). One of their newest mascots, the Inkling, is predominantly shown in the female variety.

Even their gendered stuffs is markedly better.
Heck if they would make Style Savvy gender neutral, money wouldn't fly faster from my wallet.
And look up the Iwata asks for these games, they clearly are more open making stuffs for women than the trash Ubi tries to peddle.
Sure it's a dress up game or whatever for girls but by god it's high quality dress up for girls.

Yes, Other M was horrible, but I think that was less due to an attempt to market it to boys and more due to Yoshio Sakamoto not knowing how to write for shit.
I think it's more Sakamoto not knowing how to write but the writing clearly showed an ugly side that paint him as the worst kind of sexist.
Other M's writing was THAT bad (and that's not even close to being a major problem in the game, considering how shite the rest is).

That OoT ad is still really something else.
It was the UK advert and yes it did get complaints back then (then came the stock shortages thanks to NCL not shipping enough to NOE). If the build up to tri force heroes I was expecting a tongue in cheek "wilst thou get th girl, or dress like one" But instead they more sensibly made a joke about how even more people are going to be calling Link Zelda now.

Not heard of that series before but that was really interesting.

I do wonder where we would be today if Nintendo had gone pink instead of blue. I'm not joking about that either, I really do wonder how different things would be if Nintendo had decided that games were for girls and the other companies followed suit.
It wouldn't be what we know now as robots and guns are not things traditionally marketed towards girls.

Rather curiously the Nintendo Knitting Machine peripheral was prototyped for the US in 1987.

I don't know if this was a case of seeing I Am a Teacher: Super Mario Sweater and thinking what if we could do more or an actual attempt to expand the marketshare in interesting ways.

Instead we did see interesting movements in the 90s with electronic board games v(I know these existed for males too) and even the Casio loopy in Japan. Speaking of which Retronauts Volume III Episode 21: Girl Games in an interesting look at things and makes the assertion that electronics toys were more aggressively pursued wrt girls because boys electronic videogames.

Id make a wager that women employed by Nintendo, directed and created Style Savvy. Seems a bit ridiculous to hold that one against them unless im missing something.
If we isolate NOA here as it was America that boy's marketing happened in, then Style Savvy 3 (is that right?) currently has no US release date. While I did not expect it in 2015 (Europe gets Style and Paper Jam, America gets Yokai and Pokemon) seeing it completely absent from the US direct is a very sad sight.

Mael

are people not allowed to disagree with the video? are you not seeing the arguments going around this very thread?

What is there to disagree?
It's pretty much fact that NES marketing is the reason games are more boys centered than they were before.
If you have a documentary about WWI explaining the reason for the war, you can dislike the documentary that doesn't mean France war with Germany have nothing to do with Alsace-Lorraine.

If we isolate NOA here as it was America that boy's marketing happened in, then Style Savvy 3 (is that right?) currently has no US release date. While I did not expect it in 2015 (Europe gets Style and Paper Jam, America gets Yokai and Pokemon) seeing it completely absent from the US direct is a very sad sight.

NoA really IS worst Nintendo.

I'm at work right now so I can't watch, but I'm surprised at the amount of people saying Adam Ruins Everything is good. The ads I've seen for the guy... He looks like the worst. Are you guys sure?

What is there to disagree?
It's pretty much fact that NES marketing is the reason games are more boys centered than they were before.
If you have a documentary about WWI explaining the reason for the war, you can dislike the documentary that doesn't mean France war with Germany have nothing to do with Alsace-Lorraine.

NoA really IS worst Nintendo.
People are not debating that part, but the conclusions drawn at the end, especially after the "so what? games are games" part

I'm at work right now so I can't watch, but I'm surprised at the amount of people saying Adam Ruins Everything is good. The ads I've seen for the guy... He looks like the worst. Are you guys sure?
he is supposed to look like an annoying know it all hipster, the name of the show is after all "Adam Ruins Everything" after all

Interesting indeed.

On the flip side, we had some guests over this past weekend and one of the women took a look at my office/gaming room and scoffed claiming it to be "such a guys room". I wish I knew more women that didn't look down on the hobby. :

She was Italian, though - I wonder what the ad campaigns were like in Italy? Hmmm...

That is interesting, when I studied abroad the Italian women at the University all made fun of another American from Seattle for bringing his PS4 with him, and seemed to look down on games in general.

Just to clarify: Are you guys really asserting that Farmville grandma and poker game grandpa are "gamers"? I hardly think the label fits.

There is absolutely a difference between these games and core games, the same difference that exists between Archie Comics and die-hard Marvel/DC/Dark Horse fans.

I play games. But I'm not a gamer either. Just because someone plays games doesn't make them a gamer. A gamer is a part of a larger culture. I don't participate in larger gamer culture. I just play and discuss games.

Lots of people play games. That doesn't mean we are all or identify as hardcore gamers or even gamers, period.

So there's a major fallacy in your argument at the outset.

I play games. But I'm not a gamer either. Just because someone plays games doesn't make them a gamer. A gamer is a part of a larger culture. I don't participate in larger gamer culture. I just play and discuss games.

Lots of people play games. That doesn't mean we are all or identify as hardcore gamers or even gamers, period.

So there's a major fallacy in your argument at the outset.

... I actually don't understand what you are saying. You play and discuss games but aren't a part of larger gamer culture?

kavanf1

IIRC all their advertising and box designs became boy-focused too. The change was the result of market research which paved the way for coming decades of homogenisation.
The argument the video makes is far too reductive and simplistic to be valid though. I'm genuinely surprised people are willing to accept that the video game industry has evolved like it has "because marketing". Is marketing a factor? Sure, probably quite a big one. Companies go where the money is. But to ignore the enormous social, political and economic factors at play at the same time is doing the industry of the era a disservice.

The evolution of any industry is complex, and gaming as an industry still has a lot of growing up to do. If we in 2015 want to facilitate changes for the better, we would be wise not to condense 30+ years of history into a "because marketing" meme.

I like thinking about it in terms of evolution. Evolution happens in fits and starts. It hits dead ends, and now and then takes a leap forward when a particularly beneficial trait becomes prevalent. It's a slow process, and what's built up historically does not suddenly become redundant just because a positive evolutionary change has occurred. The point being, we all (most of us) want gaming to change, to become more inclusive, more varied, for there to be something for everyone - but that need not be at the expense of that which has come before. There is still plenty of room in such a brave new world for more dudebro shooters or sports games, and just because we want there to be other games beyond that scope, does not mean the "ancestral" games don't still have their place. I like killing stuff fatally to death in games. I also want my kids to enjoy Minecraft and whatever else comes along in future.

I think a lot of wasted effort is placed into the perception that gaming, or gamers, are a finite resource that need to be fought over. The reality is that there is a market for anyone nowadays, and if there isn't there's probably an indie somewhere working to create it. We live in the most exciting time in gaming's short history, with more variety now than there has ever been. I love looking back seeing how far things have progressed in my lifetime, and I refuse to accept we are worse off in any way today than we were back then. Even with all the marketing bullshit we have to endure. :)

... I actually don't understand what you are saying. You play and discuss games but aren't a part of larger gamer culture?

I mostly only stick to one type of thread here on neogaf and it's fighting game threads or jrpg threads. I mostly interact with people there, and play those games. But I don't identify as a gamer, and I don't really follow gaming news. I also play a selective and highly limited palette of games. I don't see what's so confusing about it.

It's like someone who's not a huge TV watcher, but they LOVE to watch Game of Thrones and discussing it.

I mostly only stick to one type of thread here on neogaf and it's fighting game threads or jrpg threads. I mostly interact with people there, and play those games. But I don't identify as a gamer, and I don't really follow gaming news. I also play a selective and highly limited palette of games. I don't see what's so confusing about it.

It's like someone who's not a huge TV watcher, but they LOVE to watch Game of Thrones and discussing it.

Eh it's all nebulous anyways, but in my opinion playing games on consoles and being on neogaf easily qualifies you as a gamer. The one TV show analogy fits better if you only played DOTA or something.

Unless you don't like the title. By the way, nice username.

Anyways thought the video was really effective.

The shorts didn't do his character justice. In the longer format of the show, he's allowed to develop his annoying hipster persona more.

Think Bill Nye meets Pee-Wee Herman.

Eh it's all nebulous anyways, but in my opinion playing games on consoles and being on neogaf easily qualifies you as a gamer. The one TV show analogy fits better if you only played DOTA or something.

Unless you don't like the title. By the way, nice username.

Anyways thought the video was really effective.

I disagree. I see a "gamer" as a part of a culture. You can still like movies but not be a cinephile. You can like sports without being a diehard. You can like music without being an audiophile. If we were to apply the description gameophile, I'd probably be a former one. To me, it's a culture that also has specific sets of values. Maybe I'm wrong. But there was a recent there called "do you identify as a gamer?" and there were a lot of us who said we like playing games but we don't identify as gamers.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1131416

Maybe it's knee jerk response to things like gamergate and the general stereotypes that comes with game fans. Or maybe it's legitimate. I don't know. It's how I feel.

And yes the video was highly informative. I want to see the full episode.

Tigress

I just don't see the problem. I'll keep buying and playing games that appeal to me, there are plenty that don't, I just ignore them. It seems for the most part women do the same, ignoring dude bro shooter #473722 and playing puzzle games on their phone, or the wide array of non dude bro shooter games on consoles.

how about this? I don't want to play just puzzle games or only have puzzle games marketed towards me and have me relegated to just puzzle games. Maybe I'd like a shooter that also takes in mind that I'm part of the market and doesn't ignore me as part of their market. Maybe I'd like a GTA game that acknowledges that I also like playing it and it's not just guys playing it. Maybe I'd like to see a game where I'm not some guy saving a damsel in distress but some female kicking some butt? And not just seen as the item to win in the end.

Maybe I like those games but I'd like to be acknowledged as part of the market and take that into account. For example, a simple thing since GTA now has more than one protagonist, is it that bad to have one of those be a female?

Just to clarify: Are you guys really asserting that Farmville grandma and poker game grandpa are "gamers"? I hardly think the label fits.
Absolutely.
There is absolutely a difference between these games and core games, the same difference that exists between Archie Comics and die-hard Marvel/DC/Dark Horse fans.
They're still reading comics, just like those people are still playing games

Dare

Banned
This video taught me that corporate America and Japan prevented my generation from having a copious amount of hot gamer babes.

Disxo

are people not allowed to disagree with the video? are you not seeing the arguments going around this very thread?
There is nothing to disagree, games even today have a target demographic in mind wether its boys or girls, That is the sad part and nobody in the comments section is writing good arguments to contradict the video.

Games are games?...yes they are but...how are they mostly sold?

Man, that like/dislike ratio. What is with the gaming community that we turn into frothing troglodytes whenever the issue of gender is brought up in any capacity?

LPride

Banned
But there was a recent there called "do you identify as a gamer?" and there were a lot of us who said we like playing games but we don't identify as gamers.

The major backlash against gamer self-identification was just a response to GamerGate. Since GamerGate supporters claimed the title everyone else was quick to disown it.

Man, that like/dislike ratio. What is with the gaming community that we turn into frothing troglodytes whenever the issue of gender is brought up in any capacity?

It's an incredibly dedicated group of sad man children who lurk around the internet looking for things to scream at. Any kind of video or blog post or anything that even remotely tackles this subject gets instantly overrun by these Neanderthals.

Mael

People are not debating that part, but the conclusions drawn at the end, especially after the "so what? games are games" partl

What is there to disagree again?
Some publishers see the market and try to position themselves in a more inclusive manner but otherwise it's basically true that consoles try their best to cater to the stereotypical white cisgendered boy who is into games at the expense of every other demographic.
I'm including Nintendo here, amiibos are pretty much the perfect example of trying to narrow the target and milk them for all their worth.
The "great" think about gamers is that they're the only target you can treat like shit and still get absurdly good returns with no issue.
Although it tend to change, thankfully.

It's an incredibly dedicated group of sad man children who lurk around the internet looking for things to scream at. Any kind of video or blog post or anything that even remotely tackles this subject gets instantly overrun by these Neanderthals.
Dude! What the hell did Neanderthals ever do to you to compare them to these guileless scums.

Your analogy fails your argument because archie comics is fucking rad these days.

NathanS

One of the more amusing things watching it is remembering we have two very firm advicts of the idea that the NES was sold to the whole family, largely because Malstrom says so and there's that one picture ad that did that, ignoring that most of the commercials looked more like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6pW2IYOivA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eX4MdXF3OWI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-K4MbNFN7ws

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uI3rO3PbYOo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZxrvxJrg4A

Look at all the woman and families in those ads. Oh wait...

Still i do wound if the demographic shift wasn't already underway, especially since it did hit the arcades. Love to see some real in depth resurch on who games were marketed too throughout gaming's history. Sex, age, what the experience was sold on (challenge, immersion and so on) find that stuff fascinating.

Mael

One of the more amusing things watching it is remembering we have two very firm advicts of the idea that the NES was sold to the whole family, largely because Malstrom says so and there's that one picture ad that did that, ignoring that most of the commercials looked more like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6pW2IYOivA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eX4MdXF3OWI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-K4MbNFN7ws

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uI3rO3PbYOo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZxrvxJrg4A

Look at all the woman and families in those ads. Oh wait...

Still i do wound if the demographic shift wasn't already underway, especially since it did hit the arcades. Love to see some real in depth resurch on who games were marketed too throughout gaming's history. Sex, age, what the experience was sold on (challenge, immersion and so on) find that stuff fascinating.
Rule #1 of Malstrom :
Never take anything he says like absolute gospel.
He's kinda like a pundit, he rambles and got some point where the underlying question is certainly worth a discussion.
I seem to remember him going on about how sports were more expensive than video games despite forgetting that not every sports out there need 500 bucks equipments or something.
He's certainly correct in how gamers these days tend to forget about the past though.

Mael

Oh I don't but I can think of two that definitely take him as such on a few things including the "NES was aimed at the same market the Wii was." Backed up by this single ad

http://www.vintagecomputing.com/wp-content/images/retroscan/nesfamily_large.jpg

and nothing else.

Well to be fair, compared to everything Nintendo did after until the release of the DS, that's not far from accurate.
I mean that SNES/N64/GC marketing was aimed at existing market rather than NES that was trying to create the market.
I think that's what Malstrom is trying to say rather than NES was aimed at everyone, girls and grandpa included :lol

JP

you're wrong to assume they just flipped a coin to decide who to market to. they likely when where they thought they could make the most money
I'm not assuming that Nintendo just flipped a coin to decide who to market to. If I assumed such a thing you would be able to tell because my post would contain the words "Nintendo just flipped a coin to decide who to market to".

I'll leave you too find the irony in your post.

ByWatterson

WTF are you talking about?
Been there, done that already.
From Nintendo themselves, more than half their customers during the Wii/DS era were women.
It's all and fun with trolling but seriously the idea to expand gaming beyond the shitty misogynist dudebro locked in his basement is neither new or some unknown frontier we have to dream about.

But not in the AAA space. I'm talking about redefining AAA to include these new ways of playing.

Wii and DS are hardly going to hold an audience - as evidenced by the cratering of the Wii late in its life and the paltry performance of WiiU throughout.

Mael

But not in the AAA space. I'm talking about redefining AAA to include these new ways of playing.
In the AAA space, Nintendo did that single handedly if they didn't decide to drop everything past 2010 maybe the market wouldn't have left either.
There's nothing not AAA about a product like Wiifit for example.
Unless you mean AAA to mean something else than budget, in which case define your terms before using them.
Wii and DS are hardly going to hold an audience - as evidenced by the cratering of the Wii late in its life and the paltry performance of WiiU throughout.
Wii and DS hold their audience fairly well,
Wii cratered when they decided to stop providing software and WiiU cratered even more because they clearly weren't targeting anything but the strange demographic of hardcore gamers who do not have an HD twin and wasn't anticipating a ps4 or something.
Don't leave your audience to dry in the sun if you don't want them to leave is the lesson of post 2010 for Nintendo.

What a crap video, trying to boil down a complicated social dynamic to some event 30 years ago. There's tons of factors that play into the marginalization of women in video games, and they all need to be examined and dealt with. It's not just a matter of the ripple effects of 80's marketing. It just isn't.

The crash is a big factor in the degree of risk aversion the industry from that point and continuing today, and one of the ways that manifested was the marketing shift toward a reliably manipulated "hardcore gamer" demographic.

How much detail do you expect a 5 or so minute video to go into

Mael

The crash is a big factor in the degree of risk aversion the industry from that point and continuing today, and one of the ways that manifested was the marketing shift toward a reliably manipulated "hardcore gamer" demographic.

How much detail do you expect a 5 or so minute video to go into

On top of that for all the talk about how this only affected the US,
What Nintendo did pretty much affected the whole market, especially with the relations of 3rd parties to platform holder.
The Royalty scheme and other proprietary models.
Sega would have done way differently if they entered the space without Nintendo.

What Nintendo did pretty much affected the whole market, especially with the relations of 3rd parties to platform holder.
Sega would have done way differently if they entered the space without Nintendo.

Would they?

Mael

Would they?

I don't think they would have done the whole cart certification to spur confidence in their platform to begin with.
As for entering the market, after it was dead in the US I don't think they would have bothered if they didn't have a proof of concept showing that the market was big enough to bring that huge return.
Sega's main market with the Master System was outside of the US where Nintendo was unable to properly have a presence (because seriously before Iwata took the helm of the NCL Nintendo in PAL land was trash of the highest order).

NathanS

I think that's what Malstrom is trying to say rather than NES was aimed at everyone, girls and grandpa included :lol

That same ‘Expanded Audience’ was playing NES sports games like Golf or Tennis. Wii Sports really replicates those classic old NES games.

There seems to be stronger and stronger evidence that what we call ‘Old School’ games are really the new ‘Expanded Audience’ games

https://seanmalstrom.wordpress.com/2010/06/15/email-zelda-schutzstaffel/

And that's without getting into what some other people's even more hard line interpretations of him have cropped up here.

NathanS

On the other hand Sega is evidence that the change in demographics at the arcade was already underway independent of Nintendo. Most of their arcade output in 85 has a male protagonist and shooting going on. Well girls can like those things culture at large would have already been telling them that shooting and racing and such are boy things discouraging them from getting into a game world that focused on those.

Don't leave your audience to dry in the sun if you don't want them to leave is the lesson of post 2010 for Nintendo.

Nintendo didn't seem to pull back from that market until they noticed that it was eroding much faster than normal for a console. In part it seemed to come from Kinect briefly becoming the new "it" product for that audience. Which also showed them a major problem with appealing to that audience. And it's that you can't really rely on a casual audience. It's exactly why the hardcore market will always be the one that most companies will target because they're reliable. Every company, no matter the industry you're talking about, wants and values reliability over anything else. It doesn't mean that they won't try to reach out to bring in new people, but they need to establish themselves with who traditionally buys games before trying to expand. This has typically been Sony's strategy. They'll make sure that their console is locked in with the core market and then they'll try to experiment. It's what brought in Eyetoy and Singstar which helped them expand the PS2's market.

Mael

https://seanmalstrom.wordpress.com/2010/06/15/email-zelda-schutzstaffel/

And that's without getting into what some other people's even more hard line interpretations of him have cropped up here.

I think here he's thinking that the biggest demographic for Wii are lapsed gamers that Wii indeed caught (as well as others).
Some of these lapsed gamers were probably NES gamers originally and fell out of love of Nintendo/consoles for some reasons.
Considering that a huge part of the Wii market was in Europe, I doubt there was that many people that moved from the US the EU to make up for all the people who had a NES and got a Wii.
I mean Wii basically sold more than all their other consoles combined in the EU, it's not even funny.
For the US, you could make the argument because after all NES had a huge penetration (somehting like 30% of households or something).
That could translate in the great reception Wii got.
I don't think that's correct or anything close but this is an argument that's not lalaland territory like Pachter's.

On the other hand Sega is evidence that the change in demographics at the arcade was already underway independent of Nintendo. Most of their arcade output in 85 has a male protagonist and shooting going on. Well girls can like those things culture at large would have already been telling them that shooting and racing and such are boy things discouraging them from getting into a game world that focused on those.
I wasn't speaking of the demographic target, I think anyone with a decent marketing team would have made that call.
Sega with its ins in the Arcade scene probably saw what worked and what didn't.
Heck before Sony came to the market with the psx, a big draw for console games were arcade games at home so the Arcade influence probably reinforced the marketing drive to the boys target demographic.
Nintendo didn't seem to pull back from that market until they noticed that it was eroding much faster than normal for a console. In part it seemed to come from Kinect briefly becoming the new "it" product for that audience. Which also showed them a major problem with appealing to that audience. And it's that you can't really rely on a casual audience. It's exactly why the hardcore market will always be the one that most companies will target because they're reliable. Every company, no matter the industry you're talking about, wants and values reliability over anything else. It doesn't mean that they won't try to reach out to bring in new people, but they need to establish themselves with who traditionally buys games before trying to expand. This has typically been Sony's strategy. They'll make sure that their console is locked in with the core market and then they'll try to experiment. It's what brought in Eyetoy and Singstar which helped them expand the PS2's market.
Nintendo dropped the Wii like a rock after holiday 2010, they saw nothing happen as far as their audience leaving because after 2010 they had nothing to offer but vague promises of Zelda that only interested their former Core audience.
If what you said happened we would have had multiple high quality release in 2011 that would have bombed.
they don't exist.
Only I got to play after 2010 was Xenoblade and Zelda with some Rythm heaven that should have been their big title of spring 2011.
Kinect and Move did nothing to erode Nintendo's Wii market, Nintendo did that all by themselves.
That's actually something Malstrom correctly talked about, Nintendo had nothing for their audience (former Core or former Expanded) after DKCR was released for a loooooooooooong time.
From what we've seen Nintendo have no idea what made Wii or even their hit software WiiSports, Resorts and Fit such big hits.

boxter432

I swear I have watched that OOT trailer/commercial a million times and never seen it with the get the/play like a girl line.
maybe its in my berenstein bears childhood.

SomTervo

The argument the video makes is far too reductive and simplistic to be valid though. I'm genuinely surprised people are willing to accept that the video game industry has evolved like it has "because marketing". Is marketing a factor? Sure, probably quite a big one. Companies go where the money is. But to ignore the enormous social, political and economic factors at play at the same time is doing the industry of the era a disservice.

The evolution of any industry is complex, and gaming as an industry still has a lot of growing up to do. If we in 2015 want to facilitate changes for the better, we would be wise not to condense 30+ years of history into a "because marketing" meme.

I like thinking about it in terms of evolution. Evolution happens in fits and starts. It hits dead ends, and now and then takes a leap forward when a particularly beneficial trait becomes prevalent. It's a slow process, and what's built up historically does not suddenly become redundant just because a positive evolutionary change has occurred. The point being, we all (most of us) want gaming to change, to become more inclusive, more varied, for there to be something for everyone - but that need not be at the expense of that which has come before. There is still plenty of room in such a brave new world for more dudebro shooters or sports games, and just because we want there to be other games beyond that scope, does not mean the "ancestral" games don't still have their place. I like killing stuff fatally to death in games. I also want my kids to enjoy Minecraft and whatever else comes along in future.

I think a lot of wasted effort is placed into the perception that gaming, or gamers, are a finite resource that need to be fought over. The reality is that there is a market for anyone nowadays, and if there isn't there's probably an indie somewhere working to create it. We live in the most exciting time in gaming's short history, with more variety now than there has ever been. I love looking back seeing how far things have progressed in my lifetime, and I refuse to accept we are worse off in any way today than we were back then. Even with all the marketing bullshit we have to endure. :)

Full disclosure - I haven't actually watched the video, but I've read this, and this is the thing which I was referring to. It quite astutely details the marketing moves Nintendo made (which are plain to see) to swing the focus towards boys.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
I read the title as "Adam ruins everything - why people think video games are just for Boyes" and was so confused for a moment.

Top Bottom