• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Adobe to kill Flash in 2020

Guess Who

Banned
Adobe is going to stop releasing and updating Flash in 2020.

This does not mean that every website is going to stop using it. There will be ones that will just happily carry on using it without updates and only change when something catastrophic happens that forces their hand.

They're going to stop distributing it, which means users won't be able to (officially) download it anymore. Most browsers are already actively blocking it to some extent even if you do have it installed. Mobile abandoned Flash years ago. Any public-facing site that requires Flash will absolutely be taking an audience hit for continuing to require it, if they aren't already.

giga

Adobe is going to stop releasing and updating Flash in 2020.

This does not mean that every website is going to stop using it. There will be ones that will just happily carry on using it without updates and only change when something catastrophic happens that forces their hand.
If they don't stop, then users won't be able to see their content. The major browser vendors concurrently announced they'll stop supporting Flash at the same time. And since it won't be distributed, you won't be able to install it.

Google: https://www.blog.google/products/chrome/saying-goodbye-flash-chrome/

Chrome will continue phasing out Flash over the next few years, first by asking for your permission to run Flash in more situations, and eventually disabling it by default. We will remove Flash completely from Chrome toward the end of 2020.

Microsoft: https://blogs.windows.com/msedgedev/2017/07/25/flash-on-windows-timeline/#quTQWlFCTzCQjWv4.97

By the end of 2020, we will remove the ability to run Adobe Flash in Microsoft Edge and Internet Explorer across all supported versions of Microsoft Windows. Users will no longer have any ability to enable or run Flash.

Mathezar

I'm not against Flash per se, it has provided for some great and creative web content back in the day and has obviously inspired to pave the way for alternative technologies we use today, but agree there's no necessity for it anymore.
After every OS (re)install I do I only install Flash if I absolutely need it, which is less and less. On my current install I haven't had to use Flash yet...

Keym

grodd%2Bsqueeze.jpg
I thought Grodd was supposed to be smart.

Javaman

I know a few companies that run critical software on FLASH mixed with Java.
Oh boy, time to present them a few business opportunities

By the way, thanks Steve Jobs.
I can't wait for the day I can finally uninstall Flash for good on my Firefox. It's still needed to even access too much shit.

Business opportunity for them is spending more money to replace something they think works just fine? Good luck to you.

ty_hot

I remember the time Android was supposedly superior because it still had Flash. I honestly think that a year from that day all major stuff internet related moved away from flash. Nowadays I cant think of a single website that uses it.

btw, I got a CHromebook today and I was really surprised that I got a notification saying that "flash will be updated on the next boot". I was like "what? flash? why???"

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
way too many sites still use flash...this is gonna be a mess lol

It's supposedly been dead for a decade but I don't know how people live without it. Must be a hard life owning an Apple device.

yrba1

In retrospect, glad Flash will be scrapped. Had a lot of issues with my computer freezing in the past when I attempted to run a Flash program.

jfkgoblue

It's supposedly been dead for a decade but I don't know how people live without it. Must be a hard life owning an Apple device.
Haven't had an issue in 5+ years. It was annoying for the first couple of years on iPhone, but I haven't missed it in forever.

MarkusRJR

The only site I use that still relies on flash is Crunchyroll. Although they offer an HTML5 player it's completely broken. Hopefully they get their shit together soon.

Good riddance though.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
This follows the death of Director/Shockwave earlier this year.
I made a couple of games in Director around 1995 using the same CGI sprites optimized for custom palettes approach as the Donkey Kong Country series.
End of an era. RIP

wwf better get to updating their trash network then. thing is flash through and through. maybe they can make search useful while they're at it

jstripes

Banned
The W3C encryption module standard that was recently approved should really help with getting more HTML5 video players up and running.

I know the EFF was completely against it, but encryption was already in use, via Flash, regardless.

Top Bottom