• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Adventures of Mana for PS Vita out now on EU PSN

Joey Ravn

Banned
This game.

This is Mystic Quest, and I fucking loved that on the Game Boy. Never played Sword of Mana, heard it was inferior. But this remake is ace. Some things crawl back and I fucking know what to do at the palm trees right away now. Almost there.

Brilliant release and at a very fair price. Get it.

No, this is Final Fantasy Adventure. Mystic Quest is a SNES game.

SkylineRKR

The SNES game was a piece of shit and unrelated. In Europe that game is called Mystic Quest Legend btw.

GB Mystic Quest is FFA and Seiken Densetsu 1.

etking

Banned
This is my favorite Gameboy game along with Links Awakening. But in the GBA port they brought over the slow and boring combat system from Secret of Mana (Seiken Densetsu 2 SNES).

So does the Vita combat play more like Seiken Densetsu / Mystic Quest / FF Adventure on the original Gameboy or more like the slow GBA port with long animations and reload times.

By the way I consider buying a Vita for this game and Romancing Saga 2.

Shinriji

This is my favorite Gameboy game along with Links Awakening. But in the GBA port they brought over the slow and boring combat system from Secret of Mana (Seiken Densetsu 2 SNES).

So does the Vita combat play more like Seiken Densetsu / Mystic Quest / FF Adventure on the original Gameboy or more like the slow GBA port with long animations and reload times.

By the way I consider buying a Vita for this game and Romancing Saga 2.

Gameboy version.

Game's pretty cool so far, but I'm having some performance hiccups here and there, especially when transitioning to new areas. Might just be me though. Graphics are a bit bland, but it's not an ugly game by any means.

Love that you can switch between old-school and new music.

Game's pretty cool so far, but I'm having some performance hiccups here and there, especially when transitioning to new areas. Might just be me though. Graphics are a bit bland, but it's not an ugly game by any means.

Love that you can switch between old-school and new music.
Nah I have that too, it sometimes hiccups when loading a new model into memory, like an enemy that you see for the first time. I think it's very minor issue though.

Darkness sweeps the troubled land, as Mana's power fades...
People await a publisher who will re-release the game...
Final Fantasy Adventure, Mystic Quest, Sword of Mana...
The game has many names, for it has been celebrated in myths
and legends throughout time, but all of these speak to just one RPG:
Seiken Densetsu...

I mentioned this in the other thread, but did they change the NPC shop password? It's supposed to be "knight for a day", but that doesn't work for me. Apparently it unlocks a costume or something.

Nah I have that too, it sometimes hiccups when loading a new model into memory, like an enemy that you see for the first time. I think it's very minor issue though.

True, it's a nitpick for sure.

CazTGG

It's really surprising that this game has been remade yet again (pretty sure this is the third time thus far), yet the original Final Fantasy Adventure has yet to hit the Virtual Console (an act which would require less effort than remaking it any of the three times it's been remade) in spite of its importance to the GameBoy Color and handheld JRPGs.

Joqu

I'm very pleasantly surprised by how good the arranged music is in this. Did they take it from some older cd release or something? Compared to the rest of the presentation (which I'm not complaining about, it's just clearly low budget) it's SO DAMN GOOD. Game's worth its price for that alone as far as I'm concerned, yum.

RedBoot

It's really surprising that this game has been remade yet again (pretty sure this is the third time thus far), yet the original Final Fantasy Adventure has yet to hit the Virtual Console (an act which would require less effort than remaking it any of the three times it's been remade) in spite of its importance to the GameBoy Color and handheld JRPGs.

Square's not that big on supporting the VC outside of Japan, sadly (though it's not even available for the 3DS VC in Japan either). It's a shame, I was hoping I'd be able to replay Final Fantasy Legend 2/SaGa 2 on the 3DS some day. Maybe if the NX retains the existing VC, we'll have a chance of seeing it.

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
I mentioned this in the other thread, but did they change the NPC shop password? It's supposed to be "knight for a day", but that doesn't work for me. Apparently it unlocks a costume or something.

True, it's a nitpick for sure.

I works. It needs to be in all lower case though and the Vita will automatically capitalize the K in Knight. Make sure you change it to a lower case k. Unlocks a white Paladin outfit that you can switch to at any time from the menu.

Hobbun

Is the touch screen display distracting? Or preferably, can you shut it off and use (physical) buttons for it instead?

I heard it is set up to use touch screen for menus, but fighting uses actual buttons. Although I would prefer no touch screen display and buttons for everything.

Any way to do that?

Is the touch screen display distracting? Or preferably, can you shut it off and use (physical) buttons for it instead?

I heard it is set up to use touch screen for menus, but fighting uses actual buttons. Although I would prefer no touch screen display and buttons for everything.

Any way to do that?
The "the Touch Screen Display" is only the two circles on the lower right which doubles as an indicator what you have equipped on X and O. It's bigger than it needs to be but its no different from a Zelda displaying what you have equipped on what button.

The whole game can be played 100% with buttons and touch never gets in the way.

Hobbun

The "the Touch Screen Display" is only the two circles on the lower right which doubles as an indicator what you have equipped on X and O. It's bigger than it needs to be but its no different from a Zelda displaying what you have equipped on what button.

The whole game can be played 100% with buttons and touch never gets in the way.

Ok, by saying "played 100% with buttons", you can use the menu with buttons, as well? I would prefer to turn off the touch screen HUD, but as long as I can use physical buttons for everything (including menu), that will still work.

Thanks.

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
I don't find it distracting. There's a small mini map that you can tap to open a world map, and there's the equipment buttons. The equipment buttons are a bit big but they also serve to show you what weapon and item/magic you have equipped so they're useful. There's also a companion talk button which is small and in the top right corner. It can be used to instantly get heals from Fuji or whatever other NPCs do.

Really, it's just the equipment buttons being on the big side that's distracting at all.

Ok, thanks.

Already more than half-way through? How long would you say the game is?

Maybe 10 hours if you take your time for a first playthrough. A bit more if you grind or get stuck. 5 hours if you already know what to do.

Ok, by saying "played 100% with buttons", you can use the menu with buttons, as well? I would prefer to turn off the touch screen HUD, but as long as I can use physical buttons for everything (including menu), that will still work.

Thanks.
Yes, I'm more than halfway through and I have never touched the screen. I HATE touch controls. Once again, the touch screen hud doubles as your equipment indicator, you can't turn it off.

Opening the menu is Square and then you move around with the dpad and buttons. Assigning items to the quick-slots is more complicated than it needs to be but it's fine.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
I'm very pleasantly surprised by how good the arranged music is in this. Did they take it from some older cd release or something? Compared to the rest of the presentation (which I'm not complaining about, it's just clearly low budget) it's SO DAMN GOOD. Game's worth its price for that alone as far as I'm concerned, yum.

There is an excellent arranged album that came out ages ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6OB5vIYCS8

I had so much fun with this yesterday, the nostalgia hit me like a brick.
The game runs smooth on both PSTV and Vita, the rearranged soundtrack is glorious.
This really makes up for the let-down that was Sword of Mana.
Hell, I even surprised myself still knowing where to use the mattock to open up hidden passages.

Hobbun

Yes, I'm more than halfway through and I have never touched the screen. I HATE touch controls. Once again, the touch screen hud doubles as your equipment indicator, you can't turn it off.

Opening the menu is Square and then you move around with the dpad and buttons. Assigning items to the quick-slots is more complicated than it needs to be but it's fine.

Ok, thanks.

Ok, thanks.

I have played the original at least 15 times over the years, don't take my time as an indicator for anything.

It's not a huge game or anything though, but I'd say at least 10 hours

I asked for Link's Awakening for Christmas one year and got this instead. Never found out why, but I didn't complain because I loved the game, even though I took me ages to figure out how to do anything. This remake is aces. Item management is my only gripe. Still haven't gotten used to the ring menu. Other than that, thank you, Squeenix for putting this on a device with actual buttons.

Pejo

Gold Member
Other than the item management on that radial menu bullshit, this is a fantastic and fun port. The only other minor complaint I have is the really glitchy-looking way that enemies go underground (the 3 tentacled plant things and the mud guys for instance). I like most of the arranged music as well.

Man I am nostalgia-ing hard.

redcrayon

I asked for Link's Awakening for Christmas one year and got this instead. Never found out why, but I didn't complain because I loved the game, even though I took me ages to figure out how to do anything. This remake is aces. Item management is my only gripe. Still haven't gotten used to the ring menu. Other than that, thank you, Squeenix for putting this on a device with actual buttons.
I remember buying it because the square-room-based dungeon design looked a bit like LA on the back of the box, maybe that was why you ended up with it?

This is a small thing, but I love the artwork for weapons and armors. They look really cool. At least the weapon you use is reflected in game, I wish they showed your armor pieces as well. There's not a lot of them anyway.

Also, if you like your save file showing your actual game time, do not suspend the game and put it away, the game clock keeps running for some reason.

CazTGG

As far as Final Fantasy Adventure remakes go...it's better than Swords of Mana. Adventures of Mana is simplistic on many fronts, with a generic fairy tale, bland aesthetics and average combat that's elevated by a superb soundtrack. There's a lot of petty issues from the original that are either not addressed or even worsened like the awful menu system and the need to constantly equip different items to progress rather than have them use a key or hand over a pair of fangs before said progress is allowed, not to mention enemies respawning while you move across the screen for some incredibly cheap hits throughout the entire game, if not, hitting you from off-screen. Full review'll come soon enough, needless to say it's not a great way to celebrate the series 25th anniversary nor will it go down as one of the better remakes the Vita offers.

Could this game appeal to someone like me who has actually never played the original back in the day? If you subtract the nostalgia factor, is the game by itself awesome enough to get into nowadays?

edit: CazTGG has answered some of it already... hmmm

Aru

I finished it on my Shield TV a few months ago. Definitely a good game, but it's basically a Game Boy game in 3D and better soundtrack. Not my favorite Mana game but I enjoyed it. Please buy it so we can have Seiken 2 and 3 remakes!

CazTGG

So I believe I discovered a glitch: If you quicksave the game and reload your save file in certain parts, doors that requires a switch to be open will be open. I can see how they were able to get the game out in such a rushed manner because clearly no one tested this game whatsoever.

The game has been out in Japan for quite a while, just FYI

I fail to see how this makes this any bit acceptable. Testing and fixing bugs is a part of the localization process.

Top Bottom