• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

After Dallas Shootings, Police Arrest People for Social Media Threats Against Cops

Status
Not open for further replies.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Kurt Vanzuuk - "To me the shooter in Dallas is a hero — everyone of us should do the same,” reads one such post on Vanzuuk’s Facebook page, which has since been taken down."

Postings on Vanzuuk’s Facebook page, as stated in court records, included: "(Expletive) talking on facebook, on a Sunday when you see the ... pig standing at the construction site getting his overtime circle around and kill him.” and “An eye for an eye, anything less isn’t gonna do anything, it’s been going on since day 1.” followed by "#getagunkillacop."

Yeah im going to say thats a threat.

GhostBed

Fuck these coward ass cops. They only give a shit when people threaten them, but apparently you can threaten and harass anyone else on the internet and get away with it. Complete bullshit.

I'm going to go on a limb here and say that people are getting arrested because an actual shooting took place where police officers where killed. Had there been anyone raped or killed during the gamergate fiasco, I guess the response would've been different.

Whether you believe this should be the way things work is entirely up to you, but I do firmly believe harrasment and murder threats should be handled differently, but both are supposed to be handled by somebody.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
Fuck these coward ass cops. They only give a shit when people threaten them, but apparently you can threaten and harass anyone else on the internet and get away with it. Complete bullshit.

"Fuck these cops that're doing their job because something else that might have different circumstances"

Maybe you should be thinking this might show them how real the threats are since they experienced it themselves and now these cops will take it more seriously.

Quotes in the OP don't look like actual threats.

I understand the police chief rightly feels highly disturbed by these types of comments, but if a member of the police can't act rationally in the face of disturbance they deserve to be discharged.

Calling for police to be killed isn't a threat?

Kurt Vanzuuk - "To me the shooter in Dallas is a hero — everyone of us should do the same,” reads one such post on Vanzuuk’s Facebook page, which has since been taken down."

Postings on Vanzuuk’s Facebook page, as stated in court records, included: "(Expletive) talking on facebook, on a Sunday when you see the ... pig standing at the construction site getting his overtime circle around and kill him.” and “An eye for an eye, anything less isn’t gonna do anything, it’s been going on since day 1.” followed by "#getagunkillacop."

Yeah im going to say thats a threat.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
"Fuck these cops that're doing their job because something else that might have different circumstances"

Maybe you should be thinking this might show them how real the threats are since they experienced it themselves and now these cops will take it more seriously.

Once city governments realize its an untapped revenue stream i expect lots more interaction between local police and online posters.

GhostBed

But will they? It is a positive that they're taking the issue more seriously, but I'm unconvinced that they will act on any threat that's not directly made to police.

Ray Wonder

Once city governments realize its an untapped revenue stream i expect lots more interaction between local police and online posters.

We probably will at some point.

But will they? It is a positive that they're taking the issue more seriously, but I'm unconvinced that they will act on any threat that's not directly made to police.

That's fine, but doesn't warrant the response "Fuck these coward ass cops" lol

People get arrested for making online threats to people beside cops already. Maybe not as much, but it's not non-existent.

Froli

Those who posted this type of threats with the recent incidents are fucking idiots. You deserve to be arrested

People say stupid shit online all the time. It hardly warrants an arrest unless they act it out :/

As we've seen in the countless number of times where mass shooters have posted threats online and then carried out attacks against those they've threatened. /s

Makonero

People say stupid shit online all the time. It hardly warrants an arrest unless they act it out :/

Yes, death threats and online abuse should be ignored.

No wonder we have such issues with online harassment with attitudes like these.

Ray Wonder

Cops are too dumb to think of complex tasks or logic.

Can only de-escalate when white and blond.

Can only solve internet threats when it's against their own.

They really should move past hiring the high school football star and actually hire people who are smart. Preventing people from joining because they are too smart is holding them back.

Most Cops Just Above Normal The average score nationally for police officers is 21 to 22, the equivalent of an IQ of 104, or just a little above average.

"Stupid above average IQ cops."

lol, that logic, good god, but considering how real racism is in their ranks, how real abuses of power is, and yet so many still refuse to criticize their own, or to advocate for reform, I'm gonna say that no, this won't lead to anything that doesn't pertain to themselves. It's no wonder so many departments are so terrible at handling rape victims, they just don't think the issue is for real!

Ray Wonder

lol, that logic, good god, but considering how real racism is in their ranks, how real abuses of power is, and yet so many still refuse to criticize their own, or to advocate for reform, I'm gonna say that no, this won't lead to anything that doesn't pertain to themselves. It's no wonder so many departments are so terrible at handling rape victims, they just don't think the issue is for real!

Why the condescending tone? You're bringing up a lot of good issues, cool, maybe that will prevent it. Maybe not. I'm not saying definitely. I'm more saying this article didn't warrant the response "These coward ass cops"

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
It would have to be under terroristic threat I think. Normal assault wouldn't cover most of these because of the lack of imminent threat.

Sec. 22.07. TERRORISTIC THREAT. (a) A person commits an offense if he threatens to commit any offense involving violence to any person or property with intent to:
(1) cause a reaction of any type to his threat by an official or volunteer agency organized to deal with emergencies;
(2) place any person in fear of imminent serious bodily injury;
(3) prevent or interrupt the occupation or use of a building, room, place of assembly, place to which the public has access, place of employment or occupation, aircraft, automobile, or other form of conveyance, or other public place;
(4) cause impairment or interruption of public communications, public transportation, public water, gas, or power supply or other public service;
(5) place the public or a substantial group of the public in fear of serious bodily injury; or
(6) influence the conduct or activities of a branch or agency of the federal government, the state, or a political subdivision of the state.

From Texas State penal code.

Matty77

Once again proving the boys in blue are a gang. And those who are saying now it will change with all threats there have been a couple of Gamergate cases dropped since the DOJ and Judge threatened case because when it's not related to law enforcement all of a sudden they don't know how.

It's one more place the legal system does not support the people who employ them.

Why the condescending tone? You're bringing up a lot of good issues, cool, maybe that will prevent it. Maybe not. I'm not saying definitely. I'm more saying this article didn't warrant the response "These coward ass cops"

I think what you said is ridiculous and if those are the standards we're holding them to("it's perceived as not a real threat until they experience it, therefore fine to ignore until then?"), then we're truly fucked.

Ray Wonder

I think what you said is ridiculous and if those are the standards we're holding them to("it's perceived as not a real threat until they experience it, therefore fine to ignore until then?"), then we're truly fucked.

A lot of people don't take online threats seriously. That reminds me of this tweet:

qJFr0qe.jpg

There's debate to be had whether online threats are worth pursuing in most cases. I believe online threats should be punishable, but not everyone does.

Lmao my quote is from that exact article.

One tweet that led to an arrest said that Micah Johnson, the man who shot police officers in Dallas last week, was a hero.

While wrong, its not a threat and would actually be against first amendment rights (and we all know how much america loves their first two amendments) What about the people who praise Zimmerman and call him a hero?

Meanwhile telling a women on twitter you'll rape her and kill her? Good day sir, keep going on with your life.

TS-08

I think they have to prove intent to carry out the threat before charging you.

This is probably untrue in most scenarios. Posting on Facebook that you're on your way to someone's house to kill them is almost certainly unprotected speech, even if you aren't and have no intent to do so.

Christopher

Yes, death threats and online abuse should be ignored.

No wonder we have such issues with online harassment with attitudes like these.

I don't understand why we have any death threats in general are tolerated - such a disgusting atmosphere online is. Freedom of speech does not tolerate threats to life...no one should receive these kind of threats.

Ray Wonder

Guys..stop talking shit about cops! They people's gone get ya!

Are okay with people saying they will shoot cops and or blow up police stations?

Hmm..I like you too? This is your first post? ��

Obviously..and I want all white family members exterminated.

Ok, Just getting confirmation, since you downplayed death threats to "talking shit on cops"

The validity of the threats has to be reasonably questioned but you can't make public threats to intimidate people. Also, some of those tweets are fucking awful. Come on people.

Kthulhu

A lot of people don't take online threats seriously. That reminds me of this tweet:

qJFr0qe.jpg

There's debate to be had whether online threats are worth pursuing in most cases. I believe online threats should be punishable, but not everyone does.

I'm glad I don't know who that guy is so I can't be disappointed in him.

Kinyou

Where the fuck was this type of response when GamerGate happened in 2014?
It doesn't sound like people made these posts with anonymous accounts. The death threats I've seen from Gamergate are usually from throwaway dummy ones.

qJFr0qe.jpg

if you pursue any of them, then you best be pursuing of all them, unless you want someone to think there's a double standard at work here. Ahem. And Tyler, the Creator? Nice one.

Ray Wonder

if you pursue any of them, then you best be pursuing of all them, unless you want someone to think there's a double standard at work here. Ahem. And Tyler, the Creator? Nice one.

No it's more the retweets/favorites but deflect from my point if you want. Also, my actual point just reminded me of that tweet, not that it's an actual important example.

They should. I agree. I never said that they shouldn't, or that it's right that they don't. I said that everyone is coming in here deflecting away from the issue, right now.

Ray. I'm not doing this with you..again. No one downplayed. I know you think you live in my head and know my intent. You don't.

Gonna move right along now.

I can only go by what you write, since that's all I have. My reading comprehension must be failing me.

JP_

Banned
It would have to be under terroristic threat I think. Normal assault wouldn't cover most of these because of the lack of imminent threat.

From Texas State penal code.

Thread title is somewhat misleading -- doesn't look like any of the examples are from Dallas PD.

Is this the first time people have been arrested for making threats online?

Threats happen all the time, and there's no interest, for the most part, to pursue them with the fire of a thousands suns like the one's in the OP. You can find plenty of online threats that get ignored, or see victims of such threats say they've gotten no relief or justice. Or how about that guy that got arrested for burning a flag, instead of others getting arrested for threatening his life.

So, are some threats more important than others, and only certain one's should be pursued? It's wildly inconsistent.

andthebeatgoeson

"Stupid above average IQ cops."

Sounds like we need high IQ people to solve a problem. But, cops actually stop it.

Unless you feel like above average people are good for the job. Because results say otherwise.

Like, how do we solve the problem of the blue wall of silence? Get me an average IQ person, or just one or two points above? I need a smart person. This isn't a 'everyone is smart except you' post. This is a 'smart people get things done' post.

With a sprinkling of, 'don't stop smart people from joining post.' The evidence is that cops have a problem. Above average is being okay with it if it creates more positive than negative. High IQ would be troubleshooting (excuse that one, that's not a pun) and solving a problem.

Stop using hero worship to justify terrible outcomes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom