• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Age of Conan (PC MMO) - Launch Thread

Soroc

Oh Shit! Looks like the servers will go live just when I get home tonight! :lol :lol

I have a feeling no one will be playing today :(

I will keep myself amused by reading the official forum meltdowns :D

Bento

Can't wait for the servers to get up! :D Giving Age of Conan a new chance after all the good things I've heard about the changes they've made since launch.
Any Gaffers making a Khitai character or is everyone going to continue with their old characters? Never got very far with my old one so feels like there's no point in not trying out the new race.

Soroc

I don't see anywhere on the official forums its been delayed past 4pm EST. Where did you see that info?

Bento said:
Can't wait for the servers to get up! :D Giving Age of Conan a new chance after all the good things I've heard about the changes they've made since launch.
Any Gaffers making a Khitai character or is everyone going to continue with their old characters? Never got very far with my old one so feels like there's no point in not trying out the new race.

I'm going to reroll a Khitai Bear Shaman on Cimmeria (RP-PVP server) so that I can join the GAF guild :D

EDIT: Thanks Derfeef, hopefully its not the same for the US!

Some quick updates when ppl can actually log in, looks like Might of Crom pack not all items are avail right now:

Some items not available through /claim

Due to some issues with them, the following items will not be available through '/claim' at the moment:

* Ring of Dreaming Demons
* Ring of Chthonic Nightmares
* Bodymarking: Immortal Guardian
* Bodymarking: Taint of Vengeance
* Bodymarking: The Color of Heaven
* Bodymarking: The Guiding Spirit
* Bodymarking: The Tainted Underworld
* Bodymarking: The World Beneath

http://forums.ageofconan.com/showthread.php?t=218045

nataku

So my retail disk came from Amazon, and it... won't install? I just get that error message in windows 7 asking me if I want to reinstall or if the program installed correctly. The one that sometimes pops up after you install a program... only RotG didn't install at all. There doesn't seem to be a separate expansion disk.

nataku said:
So my retail disk came from Amazon, and it... won't install? I just get that error message in windows 7 asking me if I want to reinstall or if the program installed correctly. The one that sometimes pops up after you install a program... only RotG didn't install at all. There doesn't seem to be a separate expansion disk.

The original game and the expansion are on the same disc. If you use the disc and already have the original game then it will install the expansion for you.

Is your account on Win 7 an Administrator or Standard User? It will only install if you have Administrator access.

So now I'm kinda psyched. I multiplayer launch things, and this promises to be a pretty cool one. I'm even more excited to have something to do with my demo again, since all I do is bust him out for raids. I know I want that wolf, but do I want to ride it or do I want it in combat. I think you can only choose one!

nataku

HarryDemeanor said:
The original game and the expansion are on the same disc. If you use the disc and already have the original game then it will install the expansion for you.

Is your account on Win 7 an Administrator or Standard User? It will only install if you have Administrator access.

Yeah, my account it set as an admin.

Oh well I guess... I don't have time now to deal with this. I'll just check the official forums when I get off work to see if anyone else has the same issue.

Zen

Banned
Bento said:

I'm probably going to make a new character for the Khitai content. Some class I haven't been yet. You should come to the Cimmeria server and join us since Hyborious GAFers is up now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNAK1JlXLFg&fmt=18

Soroc

Braz the Mad said:
So now I'm kinda psyched. I multiplayer launch things, and this promises to be a pretty cool one. I'm even more excited to have something to do with my demo again, since all I do is bust him out for raids. I know I want that wolf, but do I want to ride it or do I want it in combat. I think you can only choose one!

You can only have 1 of each. I'm going to get the Tiger Mount and have a Wolf combat pet :D

Soroc

Wow looking like 8PM EST hopefully.

I hope they get this running tonight otherwise ppl that are resubbing are going to have flashbacks to launch day and grab their pitchforks and head for funcom :lol

Terproerg

So im gonna give this game a month chance again. How do i message ppl to join the gaf guild? Also what class do you guys suggest i try out?

Last time i played was the 1st month of launch so..

you'll notice a huuuuuuuge difference from launch for sure. In terms of class to play, I recommend anything that would be fun for you. For me that is basically everything except POM, and maybe DT.

Balya

Terproerg said:
So im gonna give this game a month chance again. How do i message ppl to join the gaf guild? Also what class do you guys suggest i try out?

Last time i played was the 1st month of launch so..

Send a tell to me, Rigiaric, Nauio, Veplerion... I think Rig has it set that anyone in the guild so far can invite. You can probably just search for "Hyborious GAFers" and hit apply, and if someone is on they can let you in.

As for classes, on a PvP server people seem to have the easiest time with Bear Shaman, Ranger or Assassin. I'm rolling a Khitai Sin for my first expansion character.

Defcon7

Famine of AoC Forums said:
08:17 PM-EST: The downtime for the US servers will be extended by 6 hours. It seems we have hit a bit of bad luck with the deployment of the expansion to the servers. The expansion is good to go, but the movement of the full expansion to our server locations around the world is causing issues. We are currently working on solutions to speed up this process and we will do our best to get you into Rise of the Godslayer as soon as possible! The current expected uptime is 06:00 GMT / 2AM EST.

See you tomorrow guys :(

Balya

The current expected uptime is now 2AM EST.

I logged into WoW instead and people are having an argument in General over whether or not it's ok to be a furry. I miss AoC Global already. :lol

EDIT: Beaten, oh well.

Soroc

Word on the forums they think US will be up around 10 or 11pm EST but that could just be wishful thinking :D I'm happy that my patch will be done in 40 mins, didn't expect it to be so quick :lol

nataku

Very annoying that it won't just install Godslayer from the DVD. I have to completely reinstall all of AOC.

Oh well. From the patcher it is I guess. About an hour left.

Defcon7

Alright, online for the a while tonight for whoever is looking to get an invite!

I'm on my other toon Lasairfhiona, still on the Cimmeria server.

Zen

Banned
Also, people, If you don't see a GAFer online just PM one of us with your character name and we'll add you.

derFeef

Oh my, Eurogamer.

Eurogamer has decided to withdraw its review of Age of Conan: Rise of the Godslayer.

We believe the review provided an accurate and reasonable account of the game in its present state, but on further investigation we are still not completely satisfied that it meets the standards expected of MMO reviews.

Another review has been commissioned and will be published in due course.

Oli Welsh
Eurogamer.net Reviews Editor

It really was a laughable review - some quotes:

Behold the magical, mystical land of... China! They should have rolled with it and made Age of Conan: Conan vs. Communism.
the fact that Rise of the Godslayer doesn't include a level cap increase absolutely absurd.
the place often feels less fantastical than you might expect from the Conan universe and more like a wild, uneducated stab at Chinese history with monsters doodled in the margins.
Age of Conan already had redundant abilities and a wealth of tactical options, so with the addition of dozens more perks and powers, character advancement can begin to feel a little sordid.

(quotes from forum when review was still up)

Man

Eurogamer consider themselves more in-depth with Chinese lore than Funcom's Chinese department which helped create Rise of the Godslayer.

Soroc

Eurogamer is a fucking joke. How can they write up a review of an expansion that wasn't even live and this is an MMO. Geez drop your review in like 2 weeks with adequate knowledge of the expansion.

MedIC86

Just resubbed and all, played the first month after the launch.
Can anyone give me some tips on what classes are fun,

- Im going for PvE mostly (so no real pvp skills needed)
- Melee or Ranged/Caster does not matter
- Dont like easy facerolling classes, but most not be to "underpowered" as well.
- Generally fun to play (yeah vague i know :lol )

Thanks in advance,

Balya

Sounds like you might like Barb, HoX, Demo or Conq maybe. Or Guard if you like tanking. The only thing that seriously gets called underpowered in Global is DT - and sometimes PoM, but they're needed for PvE.

Soroc

MedIC86 said:
Thanks for the info Balya, i think ill try the heral of xotli then. Cheers!

I find the HoX the most fun class in the game! We are very squishy but damn are we powerful, plus you get to turn into a demon :D

I'm a healer class fan in mmo's so I went with Tempest of Set for my first character. Little did I know that the dps for that class would be so high. Now I'm an AoE whore because of having so much fun with the AoE spells. Secondary healing can be fun too since it's such an active healing system. You really have to run all over the damn place making sure your positioning is right for healing. It's a really fun class and soloing is doable but dangerous early on. I think I might try the Bear Shaman for the Gafers though.

grendelrt

If you are on Tyranny and want to join a guild let me know. I am an officer in a good guild, we are a non ganking/greifing guild though. So if you want to be an ass, dont pm me :lol

grendelrt

I havent played but a couple hours so far, but i really like what i have seen so far. The factions seem very cool, the new areas are awesome looking. There are definitely issues with load times though, I am on raptors and have some insane loads, but in vanilla AOC areas my loads are fine.

nataku

I'm really enjoying the expansion so far. The 20-40 zone feels a lot more open and free roaming than other zones I've been in, and it's packed with content. And just like everything else in AOC, the new area has amazing atmosphere and music.

Duoing quests is almost required on Cimmeria though. There are so many people around the new area having just one extra person to run around with puts off a lot of would be attackers.

The one thing I don't like, and this is more of a problem with AOC in general, is that a lot of quests don't share progress with those in your group. There is this one quests I just got done doing with someone where you need to cleanse four ritual sites and defend it from waves of attacking mobs, but only the person who started the cleansing got credit. The quest probably takes 25-30 minutes to finish, and since only one person gets credit, you have to do it multiple times for each person in the group. And it's not something that can be done solo, at least at my level. Really annoying that Funcom hasn't done anything about that yet.

Top Bottom