• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Agni's Philosophy runs at 60FPS on a GTX 680, uses 1.8GB VRAM. Can next-gen run it?

Seance

Banned
1080p30 maxed. Depends on how well they can optimize the code for consoles really, but it sounds like they have got it running very efficiently on PC hardware. :)

Should get reasonably close with compromises.

Lower res, or complete lack of MSAA. But this is all just speculation. We know very little about what either powerhouses are actually packing to say either way. I don't expect either to have anything close to the effective capability of the GTX 680. But it's not like they'd need it to get close.

Closed system designs.
I have to wonder how much of a benefit the closed system designs are going to be in the next generation.

After all, at this point, with 4.5GHz quad-core CPUs and the absurd power inherent in a GTX 680, the OS occupies a very, very tiny proportion of a high-end PC's total power.

Of course there are more optimizations you can do when you're programming directly for the specific hardware, but it seems to me like the returns from that just don't outweigh the massive differences in power between a console and a high-end PC.

Hell, even at this console generation's launch, PC games were already being played at above-HD resolutions...

Would we keep in mind that there would probably be greater optimization for consoles, and would be able to get more out of each. So it looks promising.

And FF games don't have AI so we don't have to worry about that :p
You'd be getting more out of each with an approximation at 30fps methinks.

edit: based on rumor and innuendo.

I have to wonder how much of a benefit the closed system designs are going to be in the next generation.

After all, at this point, with 4.5GHz quad-core CPUs and the absurd power inherent in a GTX 680, the OS occupies a very, very tiny proportion of a high-end PC's total power.

Of course there are more optimizations you can do when you're programming directly for the specific hardware, but it seems to me like the returns from that just don't outweigh the massive differences in power between a console and a high-end PC.

Hell, even at this console generation's launch, PC games were already being played at above-HD resolutions...
Doesn't Far Cry 3 run at like 40FPS on a GTX 680? Contrast that to this demo or the UE4 demo and it's clear that we still have a very long way to go.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
It depends if next-gen will have the equivalent in 2gb vram, preferably running on GDDR5.
Also, the ram in the system factors-in on the amount of FPS overall. What was the CPU of the build running the demo?
The more ram you add, the smoother it'll get. It's not like devs won't have kits to optimize performance for every respective system, however.

All in all, you'd be lucky if you got the equivalent of a 640 in the system, let alone a $400+ tax card in the 680. :(

Also, if specs come into play, and are legit, the PS4 will be using AMD CPU+GPU, hopefully it will go trinity, lol.

Setsuna

I really doubt that this will look like next gen, in fact I'd wager it won't look like this except for some Heavy Rain type experiences (if that)

Pre-scripted sequences is not a game, and a 680 is well above the tech next gen can afford.

That's all a game is.

Doesn't Far Cry 3 run at like 40FPS on a GTX 680? Contrast that to this demo or the UE4 demo and it's clear that we still have a very long way to go.
Well, Far Cry 3 is pretty plainly suffering from optimization issues.

More to the point, I don't know if programming directly for the architecture would have made much difference, because it really seems like they didn't quite know where to make the savings...

It depends if next-gen will have the equivalent in 2gb vram, preferably running on GDDR5.
Also, the ram in the system factors-in on the amount of FPS overall. What was the CPU of the build running the demo?
The more ram you add, the smoother it'll get. It's not like devs won't have kits to optimize performance for every respective system, however.
No, that's not how RAM works. The more RAM you add, the less disk swapping you have to do. Once you hit the point where you do no more disk swapping, adding more RAM does absolutely nothing for your performance (and may even make it worse due to fragmentation).

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
Well, Far Cry 3 is pretty plainly suffering from optimization issues.

More to the point, I don't know if programming directly for the architecture would have made much difference, because it really seems like they didn't quite know where to make the savings...

No, that's not how RAM works. The more RAM you add, the less disk swapping you have to do. Once you hit the point where you do no more disk swapping, adding more RAM does absolutely nothing for your performance (and may even make it worse due to fragmentation).

No, the more ram you add, the less strain you put on the CPU, the more fps you get, even if the increase is 2fps. Like I said, it depends on the CPU, if your CPU can handle more ram, and use it efficiently, you can add more ram, AND IT WON'T BE USELESS.

I doubt these future consoles will have plenty of ram to dabble with, which is why they are tinkering with them atm.

Anything scripted in a super-confined environment where you don't have to worry about a character moving beyond their incredibly limited confines can run incredibly. If you're making a matineed cut-scene with no game behind or in front of it, and one big old load at the start, that could - theoretically - be run on today's consoles.

No, the more ram you add, the less strain you put on the CPU, the more fps you get, even if the increase is 2fps. Like I said, it depends on the CPU, if your CPU can handle more ram, and use it efficiently, you can add more ram.
[citation needed]

If you can actually explain to me, in words, how RAM removes 'strain' from the CPU, that would be very nice.

SMT

[citation needed]

If you can actually explain to me, in words, how RAM removes 'strain' from the CPU, that would be very nice.

This is basic computer knowledge, what is this a joke? I don't know what school of technology your train of thought derives from, but I'm laughing.

DonMigs85

This is basic computer knowledge, what is this a joke?

No he's right.
At a certain point adding more RAM does nothing to enhance performance.
In most cases now going over 8GB doesn't improve things at all. Maybe it's because most games are still programmed with 32-bit limitations in mind.

SMT

No he's right.
At a certain point adding more RAM does nothing to enhance performance.
In most cases now going over 8GB doesn't improve things at all. Maybe it's because most games are still programmed with 32-bit limitations in mind.

Yes, but I never said we would be going over 8GB, did I?
I also stated it depended on the build, and that the consoles would have limited amount of ram.
And I want to say that are some CPU intensive games as well, so more ram like 8 GB Max, could be to their benefit.

This is basic computer knowledge, what is this a joke? I don't know what school of technology your train of thought derives from, but I'm laughing.
Sigh.

Okay, so random access memory is active memory (as in needs electricity to function) where you temporarily store files that you need extremely quick access to. When RAM is too low in capacity, your PC has to resort to swapping files in and out of memory or just using a hard drive cache, which is obviously extremely slow (if you're playing a game, the frame rate tanks). Once you increase your RAM capacity, you eventually reach a point where you can just keep throwing files into your RAM so that you don't have to do any disk swapping.

Anything beyond that point just gives you more breathing room.

Capacity has absolutely nothing to do with 'reducing strain on the CPU'.

Absolutely nothing.

ALL of the FPS dip from having a low RAM count is from disk swapping.

ALL of it.

Zaventem

2 - 3 years in next gen after people get over the how awesome it look faze we'll see trash games for the trash it is.

DonMigs85

I'm just drooling at the thought of how a next-gen Red Dead game will look.
RDR still looks great to this day barring some performance and image quality concerns.

SMT

Sigh.

Okay, so random access memory is active memory (as in needs electricity to function) where you temporarily store files that you need extremely quick access to. When RAM is too low in capacity, your PC has to resort to swapping files in and out of memory or just using a hard drive cache, which is obviously extremely slow (if you're playing a game, the frame rate tanks). Once you increase your RAM capacity, you eventually reach a point where you can just keep throwing files into your RAM so that you don't have to do any disk swapping.

Anything beyond that point just gives you more breathing room.

Capacity has absolutely nothing to do with 'reducing strain on the CPU'.

Absolutely nothing.

ALL of the FPS dip from having a low RAM count is from disk swapping.

ALL of it.

SMH. I'm tearing-up right now Zyrusticae, you're phenomenal.

You are really looking bad right now. You've done absolutely nothing to retort, other than put yourself up on a pedestal for no reason at all.

If you're going to continue to just troll around and not offer any explanation whatsoever, I'm done here.

it's definitely the best thing i've seen. i thought Samaritan was amazing but this blows it out the water. unreal engine 4 demo was super underwhelming imo.

Perkel

Banned
Add optimalization and next gen here we come !

I thought that they created it on some Crossfire/sli setups like samaritan demo but this is above samaritan in my opinion in visual fidelity.

I'm just drooling at the thought of how a next-gen Red Dead game will look.
RDR still looks great to this day barring some performance and image quality concerns.
Yes.

An emphatic yes.
You guys think Wii U could run this?
If you take out almost everything that makes it special.
You are really looking bad right now. You've done absolutely nothing to retort, other than put yourself up on a pedestal for no reason at all.

If you're going to continue to just troll around and not offer any explanation whatsoever, I'm done here.
Don't leave angry.

DonMigs85

Actually the slow performance you might experience on a PC with limited RAM is mostly due to disk file swapping, not the CPU being strained. Having more RAM just means the processor has a bigger "drawer" to immediately pluck data from. Otherwise it'll just be stalled while waiting for the slow disk accesses.

SMT

You stated in an absolutist way a dip in frame rate was ENTIRELY due to disk swapping, obviously that is not the case as I cannot run a game at its full potential if my system my system is under-powered, did you not?

Actually the slow performance you might experience on a PC with limited RAM is mostly due to disk file swapping, not the CPU being strained. Having more RAM just means the processor has a bigger "drawer" to immediately pluck data from. Otherwise it'll just be stalled while waiting for the slow disk accesses.

Well, well, we see where you stand with your more level-headed approach.

Why not actually engage in discussion with him instead of making lazy shit posts.

Your wish has been granted.

Top Bottom