• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AI Improvements I Expect This(or Next?) Gen

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
I've been keeping my expectations low graphically for a long time, and as someone who enjoys playing even older games, I think current graphics will suffice for 5-10 years.

However, my expectations regarding artificial intelligence are much higher. I believe we're heading into an era where single-player games will reign supreme again. Online FPS games, tactical games like Civilization, and sports games could become much more enjoyable.

What AI advancements are you expecting, and when do you think we'll start seeing these innovations? It seems like developers aren't as hasty about this as modders.

Puscifer

I don't really expect much as of now, the thing about this is that consoles are a generation behind on this stuff always and even high end PCs who are beta testing these features for everyone else won't see anything good even for several years after the fact.

Gpt Matrix and that demo Nvidia showed are amazing stuff... But which developers are going to do it? I can see them using it to write endless lines of dialog though, for sure.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
Modders made this, and it's surprising I haven't seen a big-budget studio using this as a central gimmick in a new game. It makes the NPCs seem more real, and it's "easy" to do:

Hrk69

I'm sure we are going to see a lot of AI stuff (good and bad), my only hope is that RPG's without voice acting are a thing of the past

amigastar

I would love an actual AI in my flight sim like DCS or Falcon BMS. It would be great to chat with your wingman and giving him orders.

WitchHunter

Banned
Nothing, and also hoping for nothing in this regard. We only have a handful of games with good story. Maybe get expert writers on your team? Most of the games have too long and useless dialogs. Most of the level design builds on outdated concepts. Everyone copies the big games, zero innovation, zero risk taking, gaming literally became the land of suits who hire dilettantes and golddiggers. Creative talent acquisition is nonexistent. How would AI change anything?

Last edited:

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
Nothing, and also hoping for nothing in this regard. We only have a handful of games with good story. Maybe get expert writers on your team? Most of the games have too long and useless dialogs. Most of the level design builds on outdated concepts. Everyone copies the big games, zero innovation, zero risk taking, gaming literally became the land of suits who hire dilettantes and golddiggers. Creative talent acquisition is nonexistent. How would AI change anything?
I hadn't just considered AI in terms of dialogue, we haven't seen advancements in AI in terms of gameplay for a long time. Even facing an AI opponent capable of tactics up to 80 IQ would be a significant innovation.

I don't really expect much as of now, the thing about this is that consoles are a generation behind on this stuff always and even high end PCs who are beta testing these features for everyone else won't see anything good even for several years after the fact.

Gpt Matrix and that demo Nvidia showed are amazing stuff... But which developers are going to do it? I can see them using it to write endless lines of dialog though, for sure.
You need about 300 GB of VRAM to run these LLMs on your local machine. As a result, the first games to use AI for dialog will use the cloud and might very well be on console first.

Edit: they will be here in less than a year I'd guess.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
The AI should know what I was attempting and if I didn't get the timing right it should slow all the game down until it happens as I imagined it would.

When I can think of myself styling on the enemies, the AI should take those images and make it happen on the screen.

It should also tell me when I'm ruining my build in an RPG with non-synergising skills.

Puscifer

You need about 300 GB of VRAM to run these LLMs on your local machine. As a result, the first games to use AI for dialog will use the cloud and might very well be on console first.

Edit: they will be here in less than a year I'd guess.
Eh, already been done and there's a GTA 5 mod that does the same though. For what I'm talking about is when the first real AAA game just has it part of it, not basically some interactive movie tied to an Internet connection. I can see some company taking advantage of the craze for sure and do what you're saying

The biggest one for me: Minor NPCs (the ones with one line of dialogue) being expanded into them having a life and motivations that you could ask questions about. It should not add nor hinder from the main plot. It should simply be a beneficial bonus to help a world feel more alive. How would it help(examples):

• Actually letting someone be a detective and solve a case themselves by asking questions to random NPCs about what they witnessed, the environment and also about other NPCs. Much better than them repeating one line back at you over and over.
  • Being able to ask the NPCs of the town how they feel about it's leadership, thus helping influence your choicemaking when talking to that leader.
  • The above leading to organic mini-side quests (maybe with only cash rewards so that the completionists don't go crazy)
  • Convincing random NPCs to help in a big battle.
  • Better haggling systems with merchants and traders. What we currently have is rigid because the system is determined by what the developers deem as fair.
  • Talking down a random enemy out of fighting you.

There's more but I'll stop there. There are so many possibilities and with this we could still keep the strong writing of the main plot but use AI improvements as an enhancer to worldbuilding, gameplay, and lore. It shouldn't matter if the NPC isn't relevant to the main quests or side quest plots, the option to speak to them is still a huge benefit to a world.

mrqs

If they can't run it locally on console/pc, then I don't see how this might work. Maybe a new kind of minecraft-like indie game that charges you a suscription or partners with openai or something, but aside from that, big AAA(A) games can't possibly make this burn servers around the world. It'd be super expensive.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I'd love a game with awesome smart AI (whether it's enemies or NPC teammates), but gaming is something the typical gamer wants to kick ass and win Ramboing throughout the game. So smart AI (whether it's gameplay or real time AI dialogue) is an afterthought.

No doubt if games in the future has AI as smart as pro level MP gamers, every gamer would be pissed they cant past the first 10 minutes of a game which involves killing 5 enemy soldiers.

Last edited:
Eh, already been done and there's a GTA 5 mod that does the same though. For what I'm talking about is when the first real AAA game just has it part of it, not basically some interactive movie tied to an Internet connection. I can see some company taking advantage of the craze for sure and do what you're saying

I’m well aware of these mods. What I’m referring to is a product that depends on AI for interactive dialog.

Last edited:

kiphalfton

Problrm is is games are now (more than ever) made for the lowest common denominator.

Don't expect AI to get better, if it's sucked for so long.

It's all about graphics baby (and struggling to run games at barely even 30 fps).

Top Bottom