• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Airbnb Ends Fight With New York City Over Fines

Status
Not open for further replies.

entremet

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/03/t...fight-with-new-york-city-over-fines.html?_r=0

Airbnb has capitulated to the demands of lawmakers over its operations in New York City, the company’s largest market in the United States, agreeing to drop a lawsuit in which it was pushing back against a newly passed state law that it said could have hurt its business.

The short-term home rental service on Friday settled the lawsuit that it filed against New York City two months ago. The suit challenged a New York law that Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo signed in October. That law called for fines of as much as $7,500 for illegally listing a property on a rental platform such as Airbnb.

The company had said the large fines could have deterred hosts and impaired its revenue in New York City. Hosts in the city generated about $1 billion in revenue last year, and the company took a cut of that in fees.

But Airbnb on Friday agreed that it would drop the suit as long as New York City enforces the new law only against hosts and does not fine Airbnb. The settlement takes effect on Monday.

What a shitty ass company.

Hope it helps to keep this stuff under control. Airbnb making more deals lately, also in London and Amsterdam. Trying to prevent even tighter regulation I guess.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
New York was never going to fine AirBNB, the laws were specifically written to target the people posting illegal rentals. I guess AirBNB's lawyers finally got around to reading the law instead of assuming shit about it.

They never had a shot at winning their lawsuit, I guess this beats the embarrassment of the judge calling them dipshits for wasting his/her time.

Big-E

Air Bnb has ads all over Vancouver saying how great they are for local people. I seriously doubt that given how it is working in New York.

Ferny

Why should AirBnB take the fines? The person renting their place out is the one putting it on their site. ABB isn't making them so why should they take the fines?

I'm genuinely curious as I don't know much about the case btw.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Why should AirBnB take the fines? The person renting their place out is the one putting it on their site. ABB isn't making them so why should they take the fines?

I'm genuinely curious as I don't know much about the case btw.

AirBNB was never going to take any fines, ever. That would be illegal and NYS wrote the law so that the fine would go to the people making those postings, so honestly had AirBNB gone ahead with their lawsuit it would have been thrown out since what they were mad about was not a thing that was even happening.

Basically AirBNB is stupid and never bothered reading any law in NY regarding short-term rentals.

Air Bnb has ads all over Vancouver saying how great they are for local people. I seriously doubt that given how it is working in New York.
They are great if you own some property and want to make money of tourists. Not so much for the 99.99% of other people living there, such as neighbors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom