• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Akihiko Yoshida (FFT, TO, Vagrant Story, FFXII) confirms that he has left Square Enix

Something about his work on FF14 felt strained or lost to me. Too many cooks in the kitchen type thing. It didn't FEEL like Yoshida. I still enjoy the look of the game though. Final Fantasy XII felt similar, but to a lesser degree. Also, I think we all know that FF14 is a secondary FF game. I can't fault you on Bravely Default though. Game looks fantastic.

Still, something about his work always felt unappreciated to me, especially when compared to guys like Nomura and the look that we now associate with the Final Fantasy series.

Bravely Default actually had multiple character artists hired from outside SE working on it. Outside of the four player characters and some NPCs, we haven't really had confirmation of the ones he designed himself.
Is it so much to ask for to have art that isn't meant just to make fangirls wet their panties? Yes even his art was fine in the PSX era but now? Blah. At least then I didn't have to see his art in 3d like it is now.

Look at this badass.
Cloud_Strife_Nomura_art.jpg

FFVII_Limit_Break_Cloud_Braver.jpg

Is this lipstick? Might as well be.
ffvii_neo_cloud_strife777.jpg

185325_74140.jpg
But wasn't Cloud supposed to have a feminine face from the beginning? Isn't that the entire joke behind the Don Corneo segment? Also, if you compare him to the rest of the main cast, you'll notice that Cloud is drawn with big eyes, like the female cast, as opposed to the rest of the male cast and their narrower eyes.
Can do dark grim medieval:

Kid-friendly SD fare:

APQkVCh.jpg

or a mix of both:

Attention developers everywhere, a 24 win All-star pitcher just went on the market.
Not to mention various levels of realism. And all the detail.

Kinda gushy, but I really like this analysis of one of his XIV designs.

But wasn't Cloud supposed to have a feminine face from the beginning? Isn't that the entire joke behind the Don Corneo segment? Also, if you compare him to the rest of the main cast, you'll notice that Cloud is drawn with big eyes, like the female cast, as opposed to the rest of the male cast and their narrower eyes.

I always thought that myself. Design wise, using my eye for detail, if you look at his original art, his facial structure is more similar to the female characters, particularly Aerith and Tifa, than it is to the more masculine males like Cid, Sephiroth, Vincent and Rufus Shinra(who have smaller eyes).

Why do you want Nomura to leave? Dont state the obvious belts and zipper nonsense

I think Nomura leaving would be beneficial, not for the FF series(and Square), but for Nomura himself. Give him some freedom and ability to "shop around" for offers(and there WILL be offers). For Square and the FF series, he's one of the only "true blue" things left.

Good! Be free! Do something wonderful outside the confines of that retched place!

Nine months later he's doing the character art for a mobile game. :(

iMerc

yoshida please join mistwalker, level 5, or monolithsoft and get back to being a part of making awesome rpgs with companies who still give a fuck about the genre.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
yoshida please join mistwalker, level 5, or monolithsoft and get back to being a part of making awesome rpgs with companies who still give a fuck about the genre.

Mistwalker is dead son. Its gone full on iOS.

Being a freelancer, especially for an artist, is probably the best way to go. You aren't tied down to a specific developer, and you can work on projects YOU choose to. You also have the greater chance to meet different people in the industry.

No worries guys, as Uematsu he will be working on totally unappelling mobile games. Or be the bait of Kickstarters helmed by totally unexperienced guys.

Bravely Default actually had multiple character artists hired from outside SE working on it. Outside of the four player characters and some NPCs, we haven't really had confirmation of the ones he designed himself.

Not to mention various levels of realism. And all the detail.

Kinda gushy, but I really like this analysis of one of his XIV designs.

That wasn't gushy, it was inciteful. Bookmarked; I like that kind of "explaining what everyone knows but can't explain" diagnosis, and it shows off just how exemplary Yoshida is.

One small detail that I appreciate greatly in FFXIV and wish more MMOs would get right is that Yoshida added a sheath of sorts to the Job armour of the Warrior. It's actually just a leather strap, but your axe basically fits/clips right through it as if it's being held there. A nitpick that has annoyed me since kobold Runemaster in DAOC is when two-handed weapons float on your back -- especially staves and polearms but often axes or swords, too. So I was quite pleased to see this considered. Granted, no other armour in the game really does consider it. And, truthfully, it could be coincidence though I think based on the perfect placement of the strap at least a tweaking of its placement must have been intentional. It's a great detail, regardless, and they could be the best detailed armour in any MMO.

That said, I never particularly felt Yoshida's style came through in FFXIV. Beautiful game with gorgeous locations and armour (while mostly average) that contained some beauts. But the only real Yoshida feeling in the game for me was the Arcadian Judges... errrm, the Garlean Legatus. Complete FF VI/XII fan service but by far the best part of the game's art for me.

DJIzana

One small detail that I appreciate greatly in FFXIV and wish more MMOs would get right is that Yoshida added a sheath of sorts to the Job armour of the Warrior. It's actually just a leather strap, but your axe basically fits/clips right through it as if it's being held there. A nitpick that has annoyed me since kobold Runemaster in DAOC is when two-handed weapons float on your back -- especially staves and polearms but often axes or swords, too. So I was quite pleased to see this considered. Granted, no other armour in the game really does consider it. And, truthfully, it could be coincidence though I think based on the perfect placement of the strap at least a tweaking of its placement must have been intentional. It's a great detail, regardless, and they could be the best detailed armour in any MMO.

That said, I never particularly felt Yoshida's style came through in FFXIV. Beautiful game with gorgeous locations and armour (while mostly average) that contained some beauts. But the only real Yoshida feeling in the game for me was the Arcadian Judges... errrm, the Garlean Legatus. Complete FF VI/XII fan service but by far the best part of the game's art for me.

I greatly appreciate that too. Never get why weapons would just float around, beside the character, not attached to anything. I personally enjoy that extra little bit of detail myself. =)

Exentryk

Akihiko Yoshida's reason for leaving (Famitsu interview translated by Siliconera).

“Around the end of September, I had resigned from Square Enix, but for Bravely Second, I am working on it as a freelancer,” shares Yoshida, who is the character designer for both Bravely Default and its recently announced sequel.

“As for the reason I resigned—I had always wanted a job where I could do both, develop games and draw. However, in recent years, those responsible for making games have more duties that require much more time, and after thinking about my desire to be in an environment that allows me to challenge more subjects, it resulted in my decision to resign, so I would no longer be bound by a company.”

Yoshida reveals, “As for Bravely Second, [producer] Asano had spoken to me prior to my resignation, and it’s a title that I personally have been wanting to do, so I went ahead and agreed to work on it.”

He adds, “While I don’t feel like I’ve accomplished too much thus far, after Final Fantasy III’s remake and Final Fantasy: The 4 Heroes of Light, this series [Bravely Default] gives me a great sense of fulfilment.”

Top Bottom