• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AKIRA live-action releasing on May 21, 2021

Mista

Banned
akira_taika_waititi_split_-_photofest_-_getty_-_h_2019.jpg

The adaptation of the classic Manga will open on May 21, 2021, Warner Bros. announced Friday.

Leonardo DiCaprio is producing Akira though his Appian Way along with Andrew Lazar.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Curious if this is self financed? You’d think studios would be staying far away from these films after Battle Angel and Ghost in the Shell

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
Taika is directing? What the? The anime and manga are pretty darn serious so I too hope it's not a comedy

I really enjoyed Alita so hopefully it follows in its foot steps.

My thoughts exactly. Taika is very talented, but surely he won't try to inject comedy into AKIRA, right? I can't think of anything that was even remotely comical in there...except for maybe Kaneda trying to escape being crushed by massive falling debris?

Dazrael

Directors can jump genres easily enough, Kenneth Branagh; the ultra thespian directed Thor after all. However Akira is a different kettle of fish, it’s so beloved that it has to be done right. And it’d make it difficult if it tanks as I really rate Waititi as a director, it’d be a blow if he fumbles it.

Come on Viago, knock it out of the park!

Mista

Banned
Directors can jump genres easily enough, Kenneth Branagh; the ultra thespian directed Thor after all. However Akira is a different kettle of fish, it’s so beloved that it has to be done right. And it’d make it difficult if it tanks as I really rate Waititi as a director, it’d be a blow if he fumbles it.

Come on Viago, knock it out of the park!
Agreed. It has to be done right! All the previous live-action adaptations for every manga/anime were utter shit

Codes 208

I’m curious if it’s going to follow more of the anime movie or the manga in terms of plot and character relevance. (For example, the ending in the movie was more of an abridged version of the middle the manga when Akira threw neo Tokyo Into a post apocalyptic landscape.

cryptoadam

Banned
Don't know much about this aside from the cool bike and its a classic.

So GAF how can they SJW up the movie? Is it possible to turn the main character into a women? Is there anyway to make it an allegory to Trump or immigration?

Mista

Banned
Don't know much about this aside from the cool bike and its a classic.

So GAF how can they SJW up the movie? Is it possible to turn the main character into a women? Is there anyway to make it an allegory to Trump or immigration?
Fuck no and hell to the fuck no. AKIRA is an icon in the industry, they can’t go around and fuck around with it. This isn’t Hollywood and they can fuck off

There is no way they could competently tell this story in a 2 hour window. If some streaming company was looking to do a 10 episode miniseries I would care, but Hollywood is creatively bankrupt.

Ol'Scratch

I can't fathom any world where this will turn out good. We live in a day and age where you already know that this movie will go balls deep into the seeping starfish of inclusiveness and a cold hand reach around of style over substance beating you in the face with glaring CGI. I would love to be wrong.

nkarafo

Akira was already SJWed before it was cool.

- Has a strong female sidekick that makes Kaneda look like a bafoon when she is on screen with him.

- Most women are ugly so no cute waifu fanservice.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
After the mediocre Battle Angel and the awful Ghost in the Shell I´m not too psyched about Akira. These films don´t translate well into live-action.

nkarafo

Eh, cosplayer depicts Kaneda like some kind of a badass.

He is a regular, average, edgy teen.

That weapon isn't even his.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
i rewatched the original anime a few years ago and it really held up. just a masterpiece of animation.

but yeah i have no desire to see this, would rather just watch the original again.

really they missed the boat, the movie should have come out this year, 2019 is mentioned in the intro:

Akira%2BAD%2B2019%2BNeo%2BTokyo.jpg

Top Bottom