• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

al-Zarqawi supposedly surrounded

Status
Not open for further replies.

xexex

Banned
drudge

Zarqawi Surrounded

Iraqi Interior Minister Falah al-Nakib announced today that AbuMusab al-Zarqawi, the leader of al Qaeda in Mesopotamia (Iraq), hasbeen surrounded.

The Sofia News Agency reports the Interior Minister as saying, "Heis surrounded in a certain area, and we hope for the best'... Developing...

http://www.outsidethebeltway.com/archives/9806

Zarqawi Surrounded?
Posted by James Joyner at 10:10

The Jawa Report cites broadcast sources that Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, the leader of al Qaeda's Iraq operation, has been surrounded.

Zarqawi Surrounded

Iraqi Interior Minister Falah al-Nakib announced today that Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, the leader of al Qaeda in Mesopotamia (Iraq), has been surrounded. The Sofia News Agency reports the Interior Minister as saying, "He is surrounded in a certain area, and we hope for the best. This operation is ongoing. We hope that the situation will be completely different in Iraq at the end of this year." Al-Nakib said al-Zarqawi was moving in "more than one area," but declined to provide more details, reports BNN.

The reports actually don't look very promising, however, as judged by the fact they're buried several paragraphs deep in the few online stories I can find, all of which appear based on an AP wire report.

Iraq's interior minister warned citizens Monday not to hold protests, saying the gatherings were an invitation for a large-scale terrorist attack. His comments came a day after government bodyguards opened fire on a group of employees demanding higher wages, killing one person.

[...]

He added that Iraq's most-wanted terrorist, Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, was "surrounded in more than one area, and we hope for the best. He's moving between more than one area." Iraqi and U.S. officials have arrested several people linked to al-Zarqawi's al-Qaida in Iraq, but he has eluded detention. Al-Zarqawi's organization has claimed responsibility for kidnappings and killings across Iraq. On Sunday, militants posted a video on the Internet showing the purported execution of a man identifying himself as Interior Ministry official Col. Ryadh Gatie Olyway.

It does not sound as if capture is imminent.

Abu Musab al-Zarqawi is surrounded? I'm sure that's possible, just as it's possible that other completely fictional things are occuring, such as the capturing of Bigfoot and the seizure of the Loch Ness monster.

al-Zarqawi = completely fictional construct created by coalition forces to create a "number 1 bad guy" when they couldn't get the real #1 bad guy.

Pellham

Banned
al-Zarqawi = completely fictional construct created by coalition forces to create a "number 1 bad guy" when they couldn't get the real #1 bad guy.

you're kidding right? so all those innocent people being kidnapped and executed are just made up as well?

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Pellham said:
you're kidding right? so all those innocent people being kidnapped and executed are just made up as well?

Making up an "Enemy #1" doesn't mean the killings are made up. Why are the two mutually exclusive (or is it inclusive)? Not saying I agree, just sayin'.

I'm not saying that the acts of terror and violence didn't occur. Don't extrapolate one claim to mean another.

What I am saying is that:

1) He sure came on the scene at an opportune time for this administration's political agenda.
2) He's blamed for damn near everything in Iraq, usually directly by using name.
3) He serves a purpose for the al-Qaeda insurgency as well, giving them the notion of being organized under one ruler.

I think at this point both sides are using the image of his existence and power to their propagandized benefit. I bet he's not nearly the evil mastermind that he's made out to be-more likely-again, assuming he does really exist-he's a petty terrorist who was in the right place and the right time a few times, but doesn't hold all the marbles like he's potrayed in most (both American and Arab) media markets.

NLB2

Banned
Fragamemnon said:
I'm not saying that the acts of terror and violence didn't occur. Don't extrapolate one claim to mean another.

What I am saying is that:

1) He sure came on the scene at an opportune time for this administration's political agenda.
2) He's blamed for damn near everything in Iraq, usually directly by using name.
3) He serves a purpose for the al-Qaeda insurgency as well, giving them the notion of being organized under one ruler.

I think at this point both sides are using the image of his existence and power to their propagandized benefit. I bet he's not nearly the evil mastermind that he's made out to be-more likely-again, assuming he does really exist-he's a petty terrorist who was in the right place and the right time a few times, but doesn't hold all the marbles like he's potrayed in most (both American and Arab) media markets.
Wow, talk about wild speculation.

Wow, talk about wild speculation.

Everyone has their kooky conspiracy theories. This is my personal one, and, as irrational as it may be, makes some sense to me.

Wouldn't dare try to impose it on anyone else, or effectively debate it-it's a screwball notion that I just can't shake.

xexex

Banned
its' gone from Drudge now. probably because of something much more significant

a new quake in the Indian Ocean, which is feared to cause more tsunamis

Dilbert

Fragamemnon said:
Everyone has their kooky conspiracy theories. This is my personal one, and, as irrational as it may be, makes some sense to me.

Wouldn't dare try to impose it on anyone else, or effectively debate it-it's a screwball notion that I just can't shake.
I hear that "al-Zarqawi" is the Arabic spelling of "Emmanuel Goldstein."

It's probably gone from drudge because it's a shit ass, unverifiable story. Anyway, I agree with Frag re: Zarqawi. This country needs enemies in the spotlight. Especially since Bin-Laden is nowhere to be found.

Senior Lurker

MS Informed
Fragamemnon's theory is shared by many other people too. Incidents under Zarqawi's name were conveniently spaced-apart in time as well.

Plus, you should know how those types of human cells possibly operate; usually you have those mother fucking retards in the bottom layer. Those are the ones that go and do the deeds: kidnap, bomb, behead, etc. Those low lifes report to higher-ups who they consider to be their "Emirs" (leading prince) or something. The low-life, who usually is only muslim by name and doesn't even pray, fast, etc., would probably almost worship his Emir since he is his link to the next-up group leader, which in turn is the link to the higher ones. The low-lifes think the ultimate leader will eventually give him a free ticket to heaven (my ass), but he doesn't have to meet him personally or anything.

Even group/cell leaders don't have to meet people next up in the chain. So they could all be manipulated to think that are under this certain guy.

Plus Zarqawi's incidents involved people of various religions/nationalities/backgrounds; you would think he would focus more on his enemies the americans. Things like these put doubt in people's heads. Yet they remain speculations and may never be revealed anytime soon if they were true.

Nevertheless, if I ever see Zarqawi walking around some place I would never hesitate to rape him with an iron bar. But according to the GAF "Where you at" world map (which I fail to find the link for right now), he was last seen somewhere close to the Caribbean :D.

Firest0rm

al-Zarqawi, If I recall correctly had been sentenced to death by the Jordan twice before. I'm not sure for what though, I think one of the the reasons was his plot on attacking Americans and Isrealis in Jordan.

The Jawa Report cites

Utinni?

jawa.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom