• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ISIS leader al-Baghdadi killed in air strike: Report

Status
Not open for further replies.
Source http://www.ibtimes.co.in/isis-leader-al-baghdadi-killed-air-strike-report-682585

The elusive chief of the Islamic State group, Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, has reportedly been killed in air strikes carried out by the coalition forces led by the United States. According to a report published on Monday in the Turkish daily Yeni Safak, which cited Arabic media as its source, Baghdadi was killed in air raids conducted in Syria on Sunday.

The daily said local media was citing the news agency al-Amaq, which leans towards the Islamic State group, also known as ISIS.

"Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi has been killed by coalition air strikes on Raqqa on the fifth day of Ramadan," the daily quoted the agency as saying in a statement released on behalf of ISIS to report that the self-proclaimed "Caliph" had died.

However, the U.S.-led coalition, which reportedly carried out the air raid in the northern Syrian city, is yet to make a statement.

A Press Trust of India (PTI) report from earlier this month had said Baghdadi had been injured in air strikes carried out by the coalition on the Iraqi side of the Iraq-Syria border.

The PTI report had cited Iraqi news channel Al Sumariya TV, which in turn had cited sources in the Nineveh province of Iraq as saying that Baghdadi had sustained the injuries on June 9.

The Express UK had reported that the strike occurred when Baghdadi and some other members of the organisation were travelling in a convoy.

"The attack was carried out on the basis of precise intelligence information that led to strike its own that site," local sources were quoted by Express UK as telling Al Sumariya TV.

The publication also said the area where the strike took place was one of the strongholds of ISIS, which is also refered to as Daesh locally, and quoted the source as telling the news channel: "Baghdadi and the other ISIS leaders arrived in Iraq from Syria with a convoy of cars."

Similar reports from earlier

Interestingly, this is not the first time that reports have claimed Baghdadi is dead. Radio Iran had claimed in April last year that he had succumbed to injuries he had sustained in an air strike a month earlier.

Similar reports had accompanied a video that had emerged in September 2014, showing Baghdadi apparently sustaining injuries following an airstrike.

Who is Baghdadi?

Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi is beleived to have been born in Iraq in 1971. Described as shy, he lived in Baghdad until 2004. When the Mujahideen Shura Council — an organisation consisting of several Sunni Islamic insurgent groups that was fighting the U.S. and coalition and Iraqi forces in the Saddam Hussein era — changed its name to Islamic State of Iraq (ISI), which was essentially the Iraq arm of al-Qaeda, Baghdadi, who was already part of the MSC, came to occupy high posts within ISI.

He became the leader of ISI in 2010, following the death of Abu Omar al-Baghdadi, and ISI went on to perpetrate many crimes under him, killing hundreds of people in Iraq, including policement. Then ISI entered Syria in 2013, and became Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL), alternatively the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS). And Baghdadi's reign of terror continued.

ISIS declared a caliphate in mid-2014, and Baghdadi became its self-proclaimed caliph. And as his influence spread, so did rumours about him. One even claimed that he was a Mossad secret agent — effectively, Jewish.

T-Rex.

Banned
Great news if it's actually true this time, but there's like one report a month of him being killed in an air strike so I'll wait for proper confirmation.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Good.

Hope it's true.

Also curious to see how Isis deals with its number one killer potentially being a self-hating closeted gay.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I'm having deja vu. I'm gonna wait for confirmation.

I hope this is true, not because I'm happy for his death but because it would be a major slap in the face of ISIS.

To what extent would this hurt them though? They must have many commanders and I doubt that al-Baghdadi was the only major leader.

With the military victories overseas I wonder if they could be more or less defeated by the time Obama leaves office.

They'd not be completely gone, but without any actual territory they'd be in their death throes

If it's true can we put Obama on an aircraft carrier with a giant MISSION ACCOMPLISHED sign?

I mean if dubyah got one he should too dammit.

Daria

The only source for this is al-Almaq and CNN citing officials about "intelligent information". Fingers crossed we have more of a proper confirmation statement on this coming soon.

If this is true, my only question would be this--why won't our "President" really fight ISIS and call them "radical islam." When will we stop killing our enemies and instead, start using the words I like to be used.

BradC00

Hopefully this shut ups the Obama is a pussy shit that's floating around conservative circle.

Jk we know it won't.

If this is true, my only question would be this--why won't our "President" really fight ISIS and call them "radical islam." When will we stop killing our enemies and instead, start using the words I like to be used.

Trumpreactionface.gif

Jb

Fuck that guy but honestly

Cut off one head

Another takes its place

Hey if it can cause like a few days of confusion within their ranks I'd say it's worth it. Use that time to hammer them and make them lose some ground in Syria and/or Iraq.

You don't fight with words. You fight with acts. The problem is, Middle East is a mess right now, so I think it's deeper than that if anyone tries to bring peace there.

Fuck that guy but honestly

Cut off one head

Another takes its place

This mentality hasn't been right so far with respect to other terrorist organizations, like Al Qaeda. Al Qaeda leadership has been decimated by military action over the last 5-10 years, and the organization has lost a lot of its ability to mobilize and restructure. There are still cells in the Middle East and Africa, like Yemen, smaller groups in Iraq, and elsewhere throughout Africa, but by all reports, they are much less capable than they were 10 years ago.

ISIS, of course, is different from Al Qaeda, with much less organization and heirarchical structure, but it stands to reason that it would still be a blow to the terrorist organization to lose it's head... As jaded as we are.

MogCakes

I'm sure there are a thousand others with his exact mindset that would be more than happy to take his place. That being said, I assume the entire hierarchy of ISIS has been under fire from coalition forces, so taking his place may not yield the same amount of influence as it once did.

didnt ISIS just replace the recently killed leader with someone new? this guy sounds like he's been around. it's so confusing to keep up with who is the current leader and if they are truely killed or not.

I would imagine that it depends on who steps up to assume leadership. If it is someone that is a worse leader then it'll probably be good for those opposing ISIS.

Usually worse, otherwise they would have been leading already.

Taking out leadership is effective, guys. The point isn't to expect them to suddenly pack it in but hurt them organizationally and depress their communication and morale. Bin laden'S documents detail how the drone strikes were wrecking the shit out of his organization.

Amory

didnt ISIS just replace the recently killed leader with someone new? this guy sounds like he's been around. it's so confusing to keep up with who is the current leader and if they are truely killed or not.

this guy has been at the top for as long as ISIS has been around. there have been high level people taken out before, but not the guy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom