• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alan Wake 2 to be revealed this year!?

tumblr_inline_mh577njIIA1qa2w9q.gif

My legs when I saw this thread title.

This will never get old.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Why? They don't own Remedy or the IP, they are getting a timed and console exclusive that expands their game portfolio.

I think I read somewhere that Remedy sees AW as a Microsoft property and vice-versa. Maybe I'm just making stuff up, but I think it was Sam Lake himself who said it.

I think I read somewhere that Remedy sees AW as a Microsoft property and vice-versa. Maybe I'm just making stuff up, but I think it was Sam Lake himself who said it.

Here's an interview with Oskari Häkkinen

Electronic Theatre: One thing we have noticed is that this was originally an Xbox 360 exclusive and now you are coming to PC and you’ve got Alan Wake’s American Nightmare. Are we looking at Alan Wake’s American Nightmare coming to PC later? And also there’s the question of PlayStation 3. Has that been considered?

OS: PlayStation 3 is completely off the radar. We’ve got a very good relationship with Microsoft and this was very definitely an Xbox 360 exclusive. I don’t think you’re going to be seeing any PlayStation exclusives coming to the Xbox any time soon. It’s just the way that business people work.

DocSeuss

this is what I took away from american nightmare. he's 'out' of the darkness now or at least nearing that objective, so I assume any sequel will pick up with him trying to find and save alice and let's not forget that the darkness hasn't been completely defeated. it still has a presence in bright falls in the shape of the fbi agent.

He isn't going to save Alice, because he saved her in the original game. AN was about him getting back to her.

this is the reason I haven't replayed the first game since last year. I want to, but I'm worried I might end up disillusioned with the franchise.

Beat it twice. Second time on Nightmare difficulty, which is where the game sings.

Anyone NOT utilizing the game's obscenely good combat makes me sad. Yes, burning away darkness and then shooting might seem boring, but it's all about movement and area control.

This steam guide is something else... so detailed.

Couldn't help but notice the author is in the GAF steam group.

He isn't going to save Alice, because he saved her in the original game. AN was about him getting back to her.

I know the ending implies he saved alice by stopping scratch, but didn't they qualify it by saying this one possible outcome or something to that effect? it's been a while since I last played the cmpaign in AN, I usually just play arcade mode due to how awesome is it.

Beat it twice. Second time on Nightmare difficulty, which is where the game sings.

Anyone NOT utilizing the game's obscenely good combat makes me sad. Yes, burning away darkness and then shooting might seem boring, but it's all about movement and area control.

the combat is pretty much why I play the arcade mode so much in AN. it really is a brilliant and very nuanced system and the new weapons complement it so much.

Pooya

Is that their new building they recently move to? looks like a nice work place.

360 controllers everywhere.

yeah, that map can certainly be from something like Alan Wake. mountains and stuff :p

I used to picture Remedy as a 50 person small studio, here looks like they have mocap, all kind of sound recording and everything in house? o_o

derFeef

That mapeditor. Could be AW2 :eek:

Looks like it's from their making of video, but who knows :)
Nice video, I would love to work for a company like Remedy.

edit: 0:39 - blurred sreen. *enhance.
edit2: closing with the Alan Wake remedy logo. (I am desperate...)

AW on a new hardware will be sex.

The pc version is so good it's unfair. In 3D it's unbelievable.

Bring it on, Remedy.

And while you're at it, add Oculus Rift support on the old pc version, thanks.

GCX

Is that their new building they recently move to? looks like a nice work place.

360 controllers everywhere.

yeah, that map can certainly be from something like Alan Wake. mountains and stuff :p

I used to picture Remedy as a 50 person small studio, here looks like they have mocap, all kind of sound recording and everything in house? o_o
Remedy moved to that building in the beginning of AW's development, they were pretty proud of having an in-house mocap studio back then.

derFeef

Remedy moved to that building in the beginning of AW's development, they were pretty proud of having an in-house mocap studio back then.

But they recently moved and parts you see are the new office. The glass doors etc are new :)

I stopped playing the first one because it wasnt doing anything for me. The combat was a pain in the ass. The narration was horrible.

So does it get better? Does it open up at any point? I was just being told to go somewhere, watch a cutscene, go somewhere else, watch a cutscene, and fight annoying enemies with a torch along the way.

I stopped playing the first one because it wasnt doing anything for me. The combat was a pain in the ass. The narration was horrible.

So does it get better? Does it open up at any point? I was just being told to go somewhere, watch a cutscene, go somewhere else, watch a cutscene, and fight annoying enemies with a torch along the way.

Have you witnessed daylight? Been into a town? How far are you into it? It's not an open world game, but it does "open up" when you're driving around.

I never felt like "watch a cutscene, go somewhere else, watch a cutscene", can you point out those segments? Maybe I just need to be reminded because I remember most of the storytelling to be in-game or to be at the end of levels.

I loved both games. I can see people being annoyed at American Nightmare's repetition but it wasn't a sequel so much as a side story. To me, American Nightmare's true worth was in seeing how much they improved the combat. If they use that system (or a further improved one) in addition to a new full fledged story ala AW1 then AW2 is a certain buy for me.

Though I hope they don't time delay the PC version. Especially if the goal is for a release on the next Xbox.

Edit: Also.. there was This site that seemed like a little bit of ARG story to perhaps set up the sequel? It was original linked in Twitter by one of the Remedy devs.

Eideka

Banned
I loved both games. I can see people being annoyed at American Nightmare's repetition but it wasn't a sequel so much as a side story. To me, American Nightmare's true worth was in seeing how much they improved the combat. If they use that system (or a further improved one) in addition to a new full fledged story ala AW1 then AW2 is a certain buy for me.

Though I hope they don't time delay the PC version. Especially if the goal is for a release on the next Xbox.

AW2 is a next-gen game, I don't see the PC version (if there is one) releasing alongside the 720 version. Probably a bit later.

Hindle

Banned
This should be the main launch title for the 720. Theyve had 3 and a half years on the game as well so it could be really great, and not a standard terrible launch release.

I never felt like "watch a cutscene, go somewhere else, watch a cutscene", can you point out those segments? Maybe I just need to be reminded because I remember most of the storytelling to be in-game or to be at the end of levels.

Agreed, it all felt very organic to me. I wouldn't say it gets better, since it doesn't really change all that much, but I found it amazing from the get-go.

God, I love Remedy.

S1kkZ

i cant wait for alan wake 2 but my biggest fear is that they turn it into a coop cover based shooter, to reach a broader audience.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
i think i caught a glimpse of.... pants. alan's pants, i'm sure of it. ;)

derFeef

remedy got significantly bigger (as a team), production costs are much higher and ms is the publisher/pays the bills.
i am just a bit pessimistic after dead space 3, tomb raider and so on.

I know what you mean, but they don't pay them to make a dull game, they pay them to make Alan Wake :)

I am optimistic about it.

Eideka

Banned
You're going to make me cry. Manly gaming man man-tears. But tears nonetheless.

MS will need exclusives at the beginning of the generation and AW2 is a serious option for that. Still, a PC version is likely but not published by MS (cf Alan Wake one) and frankly I can't see MS allowing them to release it near the 720 launch window. 3-6 months later probably.

Hindle

Banned
I asked this in the Durango spec thread but anyway, graphically can we expect this to be a huge leap over the first or will it look like an upscaled version of the original?

Eideka

Banned
I asked this in the Durango spec thread but anyway, graphically can we expect this to be a huge leap over the first or will it look like an upscaled version of the first?

It will be a quantum leap according to Remedy themselves.

A quantum leap compared to 2005 hardware...I'm not sure what I'm supposed to make out of that but I'm optimistic by nature.

Top Bottom