• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alan Wake - The First 12 Minutes (German)

nilam01

Banned
AdventureRacing said:
I've never understood why people care about this sort of thing. All i do is play the game and see if i think it looks good. Nothing else matters.

This is prorbably why i feel like my opinion on graphics never seems to fall inline with GAF because i don't care about screenshots or the numbers behind the scene. All i care about is what i see nothing else.

Sure but when the game isn't out, the only thing we can discuss properly are the technical aspects of a game and how it looks. Gameplay has to be experienced before it's discussed and we can't discuss story seeing as we don't want to get spoiled.

derFeef

Dries said:
Remedy seriously just need to make an official statement. Cause I'm fucking confused right now.
Remedy Entertainment today announced that Alan Wake, the upcoming Mystery Thriller for Xbox 360, will render in 720p*

*Resolution may differ

Dries

acm2000 said:
:lol are you for real? you want them to make some sort of press release for something thats not important, did konami do a press release for MGS4's poor resolution?

Apparently for some people it is.

sinnergy

Dries said:
Apparently for some people it is.
Why does resolution matter if it looks good on screen? And from all reports Alan Wake looks good on screen..

Some people even prefer PGR3 over PGR4, better lighting, PGR3 was also SUB HD.

acm2000 said:
:lol are you for real? you want them to make some sort of press release for something thats not important, did konami do a press release for MGS4's poor resolution?
I actually wish Konami did to read the meltdowns.

nilam01

Banned
sinnergy said:
Why does resolution matter if it looks good on screen? And from all reports Alan Wake looks good on screen..

Some people even prefer PGR3 over PGR4, better lighting, PGR3 was also SUB HD.

Wow no way PGR4>>PGR3 all the way, the jaggies were really bad in that game.

Dennis

Banned
Man, I am so excited for the next-gen consoles, I think the big new thing will be 3D gaming. And looking a couple of generations ahead, I think we may someday get HD gaming!

Jesus Christ, 540p, what is this 1997? :lol

zoukka

DennisK4 said:
Man, I am so excited for the next-gen consoles, I think the big new thing will be 3D gaming. And looking a couple of generations ahead, I think we may someday get HD gaming!

Jesus Christ, 540p, what is this 1997? :lol

Not sure if joking.

And we had hi-def graphics on the NES ffs.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Blimblim said:
I said it was among the best looking console games, up there with Uncharted 2 and Killzone 2. And honestly I still stand by that comment, at least until I get to play it on my properly calibrated TV ;)
I was as far as I can tell the first person on GAF to say that there was something very wrong with Halo 3's rendering, a game that looks downright terrible on my setup at times, so Alan Wake will definitely be under scrutinity when I hopefully get it before the release date.
KZ2 and UC2 are technical/graphical benchmarks. You shouldn't ignore God of War 3. That's the first console game I've played that looks like real time bullshots (thanks to MLAA amongst other things). And you need to not only look at visuals but animetion/audio. This is where the KZ2, UC2, GT5, and now God of War 3's truly separate themselves. And all those games render at 720p or higher. Frankly (as has been said) comparing AW to those is doing it harm. The game is going to be good.

zoukka

LiquidMetal14 said:
KZ2 and UC2 are technical/graphical benchmarks. You shouldn't ignore God of War 3. That's the first console game I've played that looks like real time bullshots (thanks to MLAA amongst other things). And you need to not only look at visuals but animetion/audio. This is where the KZ2, UC2, GT5, and now God of War 3's truly separate themselves. And all those games render at 720p or higher. Frankly (as has been said) comparing AW to those is doing it harm. The game is going to be good.

Yeah direct comparison is lunacy. Remember the size of the team and the budget people.

bj00rn_

Banned
LiquidMetal14 said:

Alright, I have alcohol withdrawal from yesterday, and I don't find much funny in anything today. But I have to say that that little last line you inserted there at the end to justify your garbage was pretty hilarious.

karasu

Shurs said:
10h0h8w.gif

hahahaha

Watched bits of it as don't want to spoil it but a few things from my impressions:

Graphics really nice, water looks lovely and environments look great. Characters not so much and the animation looks downright awful. Voice acting didn't seem so great either.

I think the last trailer I watched put me off but I've been holding out hope that this game would be good. I'm torn on whether to pre-order... I'm quite interested in that book. But I think I'll really just wait for reviews/GAF reaction and see from there.

Lots of other games to play next month too, so this will have to be good to steal my attention.

bj00rn_

Banned
nilam01 said:
we all remember the final fantasy 13 fiasco. No dev should go through that embarassement again.

I actually don't remember any "fiasco". But then again it's hard to keep up with the drama queens around here. There's always something useful to dig up to keep a gaming experience one's not interested in at bay.

Although of course, with FF13, it's a multiplatform title, and if you have both a PS3 and a 360 it's good to know which version is edging out the other.

With Alan Wake it's different, because it doesn't really matter. People saw the game running, it was so well received that some even started to downplay it. And the funniest thing is; it's only when the "pixelcounters" started their counting that some started to be concerned, and for the most part concerned on the behalf of others who actually want to play it.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
bj00rn_ said:
Alright, I have alcohol withdrawal from yesterday, and I don't find much funny in anything today. But I have to say that that little last line you inserted there at the end to justify your garbage was pretty hilarious.
Let's not mistake my opinions as "hating" on the game. We're talking strictly graphics here in the last several pages right? I'm not the only one who's said to let the game stand on it's own merits. I'm as interested as brain_stew to get to the bottom of the visual issues as they are more fascinating on a tech level since the game still looks great (sub HD or not). I'm tired from getting short sleep due to my son BUT I can make my own clear thoughts on what I meant.

zoukka said:
Yeah direct comparison is lunacy. Remember the size of the team and the budget people.
You're absolutely right. I'm not the one who started comparing this game to the likes of the ones mentioned though. I am interested to see the budget on AW though.

Rad-

LiquidMetal14 said:
You're absolutely right. I'm not the one who started comparing this game to the likes of the ones mentioned though. I am interested to see the budget on AW though.

Well let's do some math for funzies. The budget was said to be 7 million after about 2.5 years of development. It's now been in development for what, 5-6 years? 15-20 mil would be a good guess.

Also in another news, some reviewer teases us:

Played through episodes 1 and 2 of Alan Wake. Really, unbelievably good!

http://twitter.com/witenoyze

Couldn't they've gone for like 640p with 2xAA or 720p with no AA? Or is there some magical barrier that keeps them at that res while allowing them to use up to 4xAA?

BeeDog

Dries said:
Let's just all wait for an official statement from Remedy.

Regardless of whether or not this game is sub-HD, when has ANY company made an official statement about the used resolution? Jesus, pretty much only forum-dwellers care about this kind of stuff, and it makes absolutely NO sense to go out and admit the game runs in sub-HD, if that's the case.

McLovin

Its sub-hd? Those textures and animations don't look very good either. At least it looks like it has a good story. Thats what should matter to most gamers.

MCD

BeeDog said:
Regardless of whether or not this game is sub-HD, when has ANY company made an official statement about the used resolution? Jesus, pretty much only forum-dwellers care about this kind of stuff, and it makes absolutely NO sense to go out and admit the game runs in sub-HD, if that's the case.
i think bungie did after they got exposed.

Shurs

BeeDog said:

Well, their Community Manager stated that it was 720p native, didn't he? If that's not true, they should say something.

harSon

Banned
I think my eyes must be broken, I never seem to catch the shitty textures, tearing, sub-hd, etc. that ruins a games graphics, this game is no exception. From the videos I've seen, the graphics look pretty damned good, I don't get how someone could think they're anything less.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
harSon said:
I think my eyes must be broken, I never seem to catch the shitty textures, tearing, sub-hd, etc. that ruins a games graphics, this game is no exception. From the videos I've seen, the graphics look pretty damned good, I don't get how someone could think they're anything less.

Maybe you're just a normal person who doesn't need to super zoom on pixels to determine whether or not a game looks good.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
2Good4u said:
"Game journalism is not about playing a game in 10 minute segments and posting random quality videos on the net. Disappointed."
-Matias Myllyrinne

http://twitter.com/MausRMD/status/12327533957

Videogameszone has always pretty shitty articles, comparisons etc. Should really be boycotted.
Isn't that one of the devs?
Also, the site must be under some lawsuit for breaking NDA.

If they already confirmed that the game was 720p I don't see why they'd need to add anything else. Skeptical people just don't want to believe them whatever they say.

Dries said:
Let's just all wait for an official statement from Remedy.
microsoft will keep them from saying anything until 5 months after the game is out or it has sold over 1.5 million. :lol just kidding.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Well at least the revelation about this being sub HD doesn't take away all the previous footage/previews that praise it visually.

right guys ? :(

Pooya

chandoog said:
Well at least the revelation about this being sub HD doesn't take away all the previous footage/previews that praise it visually.

We don't know what they saw.I remember some of the gaming sites claimed FFXIII looked sharper on 360 before release, you don't know what smoke and mirror techniques publishers use in events to make their games look better than what they really are.
To be honest the pictures that MazingerDUDE posted look very rough, just look at the woman's face, it's so blurry, there is no detail in there. I didn't watch the video because I don't want to spoil the game for myself don't know how that looks.

godhandiscen

chandoog said:

To me it doesn't. After I watched the second video, I realized the game looked great, regardless of what the resolution is.

Does anybody know if the lenght of each chapter is 10-15 minutes like the videos seem to suggest? Also, how can a story driven game have DLC that adds new chapters. Does the game not end with the content in the disc?

Seep

Game looks awesome day 1 for sure.

Did anyone notice the screen tearing in the night time vids? let's just hope it's youtube being shit with converting videos.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
godhandiscen said:
Does anybody know if the lenght of each chapter is 10-15 minutes like the videos seem to suggest? Also, how can a story driven game have DLC that adds new chapters. Does the game not end with the content in the disc?

Don't quote me on this but iirc someone from Remedy said that the game will end on a satisfactory yet "what happens next ?" tone.

also they can always add things in between ala AC2.

Red

I get that some people are interested in pixel counting, but I've never understood the obsession that so many GAFfers have over resolution. It's something you look at it, something you might note, but it's not a game changer. Especially for a console exclusive! What's the point in worrying about it? Let me put it this way: does theorizing the game runs in a sub-HD resolution change your mind about buying it?

Banned
Dries said:
Remedy seriously just need to make an official statement. Cause I'm fucking confused right now.

Nothing to be confused about. Alan Wake is one of the best looking console games ever made.

godhandiscen

chandoog said:
Don't quote me on this but iirc someone from Remedy said that the game will end on a satisfactory yet "what happens next ?" tone.

also they can always add things in between ala AC2.
Hopefully the episodes have the same quality of the original game story. Any talk about the lenght of the game in the disc?

S1kkZ

miladesn said:
We don't know what they saw.I remember some of the gaming sites claimed FFXIII looked sharper on 360 before release, you don't know what smoke and mirror techniques publishers use in events to make their games look better than what they really are.
you are so right! didnt you know that the publishers use special tv's at their events that make the games look better?

wizword

Banned
miladesn said:
To be honest the pictures that MazingerDUDE posted look very rough, just look at the woman's face, it's so blurry, there is no detail in there. I didn't watch the video because I don't want to spoil the game for myself don't know how that looks.
Doesn't this state the complete opposite. And how subjectivity is involved in graphics as well.

Shurs

Majora said:
For someone who doesn't own a 360 you sure are interested in whether Alan Wake is 720p or not :lol

I certainly am interested. If a representative of a company lies to potential purchasers of his company's product, it's kind of a big deal. But, who knows? Maybe the game is 720p after all.

wizword

Banned
Shurs said:
I certainly am interested. If a representative of a company lies to potential purchasers of his company's product, it's kind of a big deal. But, who knows? Maybe the game is 720p after all.
It isn't a big deal though.

BRO

Banned
my mind can't comprehend why you guys are all arguing about the pixel count when the actual game looks like shit.
i wouldn't even play it for the gameplay, let alone for the graphics...

godhandiscen

BRO said:
my mind can't comprehend why you guys are all arguing about the pixel count when the actual game looks like shit.
i wouldn't even play it for the gameplay, let alone for the graphics...
What's so bad about the gameplay, or is this just not your genre in general? What where you expecting from a horror game?

Top Bottom