• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alan Wake - The First 12 Minutes (German)

I was on the fence about the Collector's Edition until I came in here. That thing is nice. I'd almost buy that without the game :lol

Shurs

Always-honest said:
but the atmosphere is what counts in these screens. honestly, the lighting is what makes these screens. But yeah, this is not EXACTLY how it will look on our screen.

I agree about the screens conveying the atmosphere of the game, and Alan Wake oozes atmosphere, the lighting in the bullshots looks more like the cut scene lighting than the gameplay lighting.

* The gameplay lighting looks great, just not as good as the lighting in the bullshots.

~Kinggi~

Banned
I dont know where you are all getting the concept of Bullshots from but that is pretty much how it is going to look in game. The lighting is all in-engine if you watched any of the gameplay videos. Only thing that might be off is the AA.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Peff said:
Best CE ever? Probably!

sbj3ft.jpg

nlv9yp.jpg

2v3j0i9.jpg

2q0u2xi.jpg

994f84.jpg
I hate CE's that don't have the game in a standard case. Means I have to buy 2 copies of the same game... same thing happened with Forza.

Shurs

~Kinggi~ said:
I dont know where you are all getting the concept of Bullshots from but that is pretty much how it is going to look in game. The lighting is all in-engine if you watched any of the gameplay videos. Only thing that might be off is the AA.

You seriously can't see the difference between the lighting during gameplay and cut scenes?

Truant

The only difference I see between the gameplay segments and the in-engine videos are some post-processing effects that amplify contrast to make the lighting more dramatic.

Peff

cjelly said:
I hate CE's that don't have the game in a standard case. Means I have to buy 2 copies of the same game... same thing happened with Forza.

Not sure if serious either, but just in case, the game IS in a standard case. The digipack is for the OST and the making off/trailers/otherstuff bonus disc.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Peff said:
Not sure if serious either, but just in case, the game IS in a standard case. The digipack is for the OST and the making off/trailers/otherstuff bonus disc.
No, the game is in a black fully-artworked DVD case, just like Forza.

derFeef

cjelly said:
There is a standard case for the game if you look close enough (far right)

edit: eh do not know what you mean, that is standard for me, can you tell us what standard means to you?

edit2: now I know what you mean (the green one)

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
derFeef said:
There is a standard case for the game if you look close enough (far right)

edit: eh do not know what you mean, that is standard for me, can you tell us what standard means to you?

edit2: now I know what you mean (the green one)

He means he wants the neon green casing that every regular game has.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
The CE looks really cool but I won't really care about it three days later. Plus $10 amazon credit is hard to pass up.

Really awesome to hear about all the positive press on this and the early embargo date. :D

Shurs said:
To illustrate your earlier statement, would you show me a screenshot that looks better than the bullshots?

Why a screenshot ? I'm talking about the game. So it should be a video. They are tons of them. The lightning looks amazing in this game, probably the best on consoles. It doesn't look anything impressive on the screenshots you quickly called bullshots, maybe because it's way more awesome in motion.

LordPhoque said:
Why a screenshot ? I'm talking about the game. So it should be a video. They are tons of them. The lightning looks amazing in this game, probably the best on consoles. It doesn't look anything impressive on the screenshots you quickly called bullshots, maybe because it's way more awesome in motion.
lighting ;) but many make that mistake (unless there is impressive lightning in this game..)
edit: so how would that screen (bull) shot look if it were in motion?

Shurs

LordPhoque said:

They are bullshots. The difference is obvious.

bildinoriginalgre-2010dui1.jpg

5d3p61lfi.jpg

Peff

Just in case this might affect someone's purchase, the commentary doesn't have subititles (though it seems to play loud and clear).

Shurs said:
well, lighting really depends on time of day, surrounding, where the light source is at, how big it is, how bright, etc...

must be the same scene to compare

LordPhoque said:

Stop replying to graphical criticism posts. You're fucking up this thread by feeding the trolls.

Anyway, the impressions have me hyped. Any good preorder deals out there?

Shurs said:

Never said they weren't, just said it was funny how quickly you came here to make that statement. Also, your screens helped to prove my point actually, the difference is not so huge, in motion the lighting engine looks much better than on the official screens. This game has an amazing lighting engine, on the bullshots it looks good but nothing impressive. It does ingame.

PopCornmegaphone : Am I ? Just saying that the game looks much better in motion, and I'm not feeding the troll, I am giving arguments.

LordPhoque said:
PopCornmegaphone : Am I ? Just saying that the game looks much better in motion, and I'm not feeding the troll, I am giving arguments.

Look, you can do whatever you want, but it's pretty obvious to me you're a fanboy getting trolled. I don't mind discussion about negative aspects of a game, but it's gotten ridiculous.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
Peff said:
Just in case this might affect someone's purchase, the commentary doesn't have subititles (though it seems to play loud and clear).

That really sucks. Ive grown to like subtitles so much, helps me pay attention alot better :lol

PopcornMegaphone said:
Look, you can do whatever you want, but it's pretty obvious to me you're a fanboy getting trolled. I don't mind discussion about negative aspects of a game, but it's gotten ridiculous.

I have interest in this game, can't say I am fanboy of it since I haven't played it yet. I don't mind negative aspects being discussed. Those screens are bullshot, but they're not doing the great lighting engine justice. Lighting on those screens is kind of dated/generic, remind me of Fable II (which is almost 2 years old...) But they seem to have very bad compression. The reason why I posted them is that there's a great atmosphere in them.

On this video (old build I suppose) the game does look amazing in the lighting department. That's it. You're right about some people being trolls though, but it doesn't mean that it's forbidden to argue about what they say.

Shurs

LordPhoque said:
I have interest in this game, can't say I am fanboy of it since I haven't played it yet. I don't mind negative aspects being discussed. Those screens are bullshot, but they're not doing the great lighting engine justice. Lighting on those screens is kind of dated/generic, remind me of Fable II (which is almost 2 years old...)

If it's your opinion that the bullshots look dated, generic and worse than the actual game, why did you post them in the first place?

Shurs said:
If it's your opinion that the bullshots look dated, generic and worse than the actual game, why did you post them in the first place?

... in the lightning department, the rest obviously look better. Fact is, Alan Wake's lighting engine looks impressive only in motion, like in every game. You can't judge something as dynamic as lighting (when not pre-baked) on screenshots. It's like particle effects, etc.
Also, I edited my previous post to say why I posted them.

Om3ga

cjelly said:
There are plenty of sites where you can get game covers (
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=cd covers
). Get cover -> Print cover -> buy a crappy $1-$4 game for a x360 game case/ask gamestop employee for a x360 game case = money saved.

Unless you werent being serious or just want to support the devs by buying 2 copies of their game...

Top Bottom