• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien Swarm |OT| - Free Co-op Multiplayer from Valve

LeonEight

Neo Member
Is there any reason to use the promote feature? I don't really get it, you get a star and start again from level one? Why would I do that?

monocromo

Sorry if this has been discussed, but I dont want to read all he thread for this.

Did anyone hear someone whistling a song in the middle of the game..?

Is it the song called "Amigo"(Friend) by Roberto Carlos..?(Not the football player)

Being this "gift" given so close to friend's day...

Turfster

LeonEight said:
Is there any reason to use the promote feature? I don't really get it, you get a star and start again from level one? Why would I do that?
To show random strangers on the internet what a big e-penis you have, of course!

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
"A large tile could be used for that. Tilebased doesn't necessarily mean that it's just a bunch of small square chunks put together, they just need to fit on the grid properly. In fact, if you look at some of the example tiles in the Tilegen, there are quite a few really large somewhat irregular shaped pieces there."

If you are going to make a tile for something as large as that segment there, then my point still stands, you can make a level too. In fact, if that is a tile (which it isn't available for use and there is no reason it shouldn't be if it is a tile) then it would be incredibly obvious if it was reused and it would. I mean that tunnel makes up a third of that level. Who wants to play a level that has more or less copy-pasted a third of another level?

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Clearly you're right and the fact that the game has super easy to use editing tools means that absolutely nothing new will ever be released for it ever. No one will ever release any new levels for this, no one will ever make more tiles for other people to use, and there will never ever be anything in the game other than what there is right now.

Also, it's really pathetic for Valve to release a game in this state and you should totally ask for your money back.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Htown said:
Clearly you're right and the fact that the game has super easy to use editing tools means that absolutely nothing new will ever be released for it ever. No one will ever release any new levels for this, no one will ever make more tiles for other people to use, and there will never ever be anything in the game other than what there is right now.

Also, it's really pathetic for Valve to release a game in this state and you should totally ask for your money back.
I think you are missing the point of the discussion here. I'm explaining why people need to keep their expectations in check and that quality unique maps won't be products of the tile-gen.

"If you are going to make a tile for something as large as that segment there, then my point still stands, you can make a level too. In fact, if that is a tile (which it isn't available for use and there is no reason it shouldn't be if it is a tile) then it would be incredibly obvious if it was reused and it would. I mean that tunnel makes up a third of that level. Who wants to play a level that has more or less copy-pasted a third of another level?"

You're completely not getting it. Of course you can "make a level," it's significantly *faster* to do it in a tilebased manner and reuse tiles where applicable. That doesn't mean that you ONLY reuse things and that you don't make anything unique within that. If you look at the rest of that level instead of focusing on one single part, you'd see a lot of same-y rooms and corridors.

"I think you are missing the point of the discussion here. I'm explaining why people need to keep their expectations in check and that quality unique maps won't be products of the tile-gen."

And I'm explaining how there's no comparison between Alien Swarm and L4D because there are tools available to Alien Swarm that aren't available for L4D. Furthermore, Alien Swarm maps are already much simpler to design due to the fact that there's virtually no verticality to them. I'm not even sure why you think the tilegen is "crude and simple," anyway. What is your logic behind that?

Hugbot

Stallion Free said:
"A large tile could be used for that. Tilebased doesn't necessarily mean that it's just a bunch of small square chunks put together, they just need to fit on the grid properly. In fact, if you look at some of the example tiles in the Tilegen, there are quite a few really large somewhat irregular shaped pieces there."

If you are going to make a tile for something as large as that segment there, then my point still stands, you can make a level too. In fact, if that is a tile (which it isn't available for use and there is no reason it shouldn't be if it is a tile) then it would be incredibly obvious if it was reused and it would. I mean that tunnel makes up a third of that level. Who wants to play a level that has more or less copy-pasted a third of another level?
Why are you being such a Debby Downer?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
"You're completely not getting it. Of course you can "make a level," it's significantly *faster* to do it in a tilebased manner and reuse tiles where applicable. That doesn't mean that you ONLY reuse things and that you don't make anything unique within that. If you look at the rest of that level instead of focusing on one single part, you'd see a lot of same-y rooms and corridors."

Hallways are about the only place where you can reuse tiles and actually get away with it, so you will still have to make a new tile for pretty much everything else. And that would be using the actual SDK quite a bit then. If you are making a ton of new tiles with the SDK, you might as well make sure they flow together well in the actual SDK instead of throwing them all into tile-gen and connecting them there. Have you played a map made with the tile-gen?

"And I'm explaining how there's no comparison between Alien Swarm and L4D because there are tools available to Alien Swarm that aren't available for L4D. Furthermore, Alien Swarm maps are already much simpler to design due to the fact that there's virtually no verticality to them. I'm not even sure why you think the tilegen is "crude and simple," anyway. What is your logic behind that?"

Tile-gen is crude and simple because you are limited to pre-fab tiles. To make anything actual new with it that isn't a boring corridor that looks the same as everyone else's corridor, you have to go use the actual SDK.

Daigoro

just got some good play in finally. fun game.

no problem with the WASD, but the mouse aiming still feels weird. hard to flick where i want it too. maybe im losing track of the cursor itself sometimes? its weird.

fun stuff though. certainly worth what i paid for it.

"Hallways are about the only place where you can reuse tiles and actually get away with it, so you will still have to make a new tile for pretty much everything else. And that would be using the actual SDK quite a bit then. If you are making a ton of new tiles with the SDK, you might as well make sure they flow together well in the actual SDK instead of throwing them all into tile-gen and connecting them there. Have you played a map made with the tile-gen?"

Have you actually played this game? There isn't much "unique" per level.

"Tile-gen is crude and simple because you are limited to pre-fab tiles. To make anything actual new with it that isn't a boring corridor that looks the same as everyone else's corridor, you have to go use the actual SDK."

Now, I'm convinced that you just don't get it, either through willful ignorance or just shortsightedness. To make something quality and unique, you're definitely going to have to go into Hammer. The difference is, making a set of tiles and designing levels from that is much faster than repeating the process for every single room in your level(s). Especially if you feel a need to change the layout for whatever reason while making it.

Stallion, have a look at Forza my man. Then talk to me about creativity with simple tools.

For truly unique content, sure, some talented people will be needed to create unique assets. And the tools do so can be complex.

But when has that ever stopped the moding community? Particularly with a straightforward game like this? You keep bringing up L4D, which is actually a fairly complex game to create content for. Have a look at simpler games and the amount of unique content created for them. Examples: Killing Floor, UT2004 (where this game originated).

I'm not sure why you feel the need to temper expectations here. Are you laying claim to an epic "I Told You So."?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
"Have you actually played this game? There isn't much "unique" per level."

Now, I'm convinced that you just don't get it, either through willful ignorance or just shortsightedness. To make something quality and unique, you're definitely going to have to go into Hammer. The difference is, making a set of tiles and designing levels from that is much faster than repeating the process for every single room in your level(s). Especially if you feel a need to change the layout for whatever reason while making it."

Any differences from room to room (desks, debris, etc.) has to be changes in Hammer. While it's not blatantly unique, it requires loading up said tile and making all the necessary changes. I realize that what you are saying people should do is a much faster process, however faster =/= quality. I want quality maps for this game as does everyone else and the tile-gen editor doesn't guarantee that. In fact, it's going to mean we are going to have a lot more shit to wade through to get to good stuff. And that was my whole point to begin with.

If you are making cool unique rooms, there is a good chance it will be easier tweaking your maps in Hammer than it is in the tile-gen due to the limitations of how you can manipulate rooms in there.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
gregor7777 said:
I'm not sure why you feel the need to temper expectations here. Are you laying claim to an epic "I Told You So."?
This is going to build up into a "Prove Stallion Free is Wrong: Alien Swarm map contest."

"Any differences from room to room (desks, debris, etc.) has to be changes in Hammer."

Uh, yes. But placing things like that doesn't suck up near as much time as designing the entire layout of the level. Nowhere near.

"While it's not blatantly unique, it requires loading up said tile and making all the necessary changes. I realize that what you are saying people should do is a much faster process, however faster =/= quality. I want quality maps for this game as does everyone else and the tile-gen editor doesn't guarantee that. In fact, it's going to mean we are going to have a lot more shit to wade through to get to good stuff. And that was my whole point to begin with."

There is always going to be lesser quality stuff out there. For a lot of modders out there now, making something truly standout and compare to levels in these multi-year development cycle, multi-million dollar budget titles takes an absurd amount of time. I would argue that's the main reason you don't see many "Valve-quality" L4D custom maps. The time it takes to make something of that level by yourself or even with a team of 2 or 3 in your spare time is immense.

coopolon

Stallion Free said:
Great, just make sure you use those tiles and your tile-gen editor to prove me wrong.

It almost sounds like you don't want awesome user created levels, just so that you can say you were right.

Hugbot

coopolon said:
It almost sounds like you don't want awesome user created levels, just so that you can say you were right.
My money's on the levels being awesome "in spite" of the tile-based editor.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
"There is always going to be lesser quality stuff out there. For a lot of modders out there now, making something truly standout and compare to levels in these multi-year development cycle, multi-million dollar budget titles takes an absurd amount of time. I would argue that's the main reason you don't see many "Valve-quality" L4D custom maps. The time it takes to make something of that level by yourself or even with a team of 2 or 3 in your spare time is immense."

And that's why I said people need to keep expectations in check and that you aren't going to get Valve quality with just a tile-gen and some prefabs. To make something that is actual quality, I want unique scenarios similar to the final level, not just a clear out the eggs bullshit. I want little physics puzzles, I want finales similar to the elevator in level 2 where you have all the bugs climbing up the walls, I want more than what can be done with tile-gen. And 90% of a modders time will be working on getting those types of things working, so how much time does tile-gen actually save someone making a good map?

I want to be proven wrong by the community. But I do not expect anything that was mostly worked on in tile-gen to knock my socks off.

Nabs

If you want to troll Stallion, just steal his weapon when he picks up the mining laser. Thank Sanjay for that bit there.

Nabs

Javaman said:
As much as I am against paid DLC, I would totally pay $5 or $10 for further campaigns for this game.

I was saying the same thing last night. I'd definitely pay up. That would be awesome.

syllogism

The speedrun achievements are pretty tough; you generally have only a few second margin of error so you really have to do them almost flawlessly. We did all but the final mission.

"And that's why I said people need to keep expectations in check and that you aren't going to get Valve quality with just a tile-gen and some prefabs. To make something that is actual quality, I want unique scenarios similar to the final level, not just a clear out the eggs bullshit. I want little physics puzzles, I want finales similar to the elevator in level 2 where you have all the bugs climbing up the walls, I want more than what can be done with tile-gen."

Most of those things you want revolve around scripting and not really the layout of the level itself.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Nabs said:
I was saying the same thing last night. I'd definitely pay up. That would be awesome.
I would normally never say this, but the Speed run achievements had me respecting the maps quite a bit.

I'd pay $5 for campaigns.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
"Most of those things you want revolve around scripting and not really the layout of the level itself."

Just making a good level layout/environment isn't enough.

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
Stallion Free said:
I want finales similar to the elevator in level 2 where you have all the bugs climbing up the walls, I want more than what can be done with tile-gen. And 90% of a modders time will be working on getting those types of things working, so how much time does tile-gen actually save someone making a good map?

Uh, a lot, since they'd be focusing most of their effort on stuff that you just mentioned and use tile generator for basic and simple shit?

1-D_FTW

Nabs said:
If you want to troll Stallion, just steal his weapon when he picks up the mining laser. Thank Sanjay for that bit there.

34rskmq.jpg

Hugbot

nilbog21 said:
I'm sure this has been asked, but why is this game free? I'm sure valve could have sold a bunch of copies for 9.99$
"Hey check out this awesome free game Valve put out. Isn't it great? You're gonna have to install Steam for it though. Speaking of, have you seen these weekly sales?"

Curufinwe

The automatic video settings vastly overestimated my PC's capabilities, and dialing them down stopped the game crashing for me, too.

NotWii

Banned
LeonEight said:
Star next to your name instills fear in the aliens

I did it, since I thought I'd be playing AS quite a bit, then I realised this is only the FIRST promotion...
I am not unlocking all my weapons 3x or 4x, that's just stupid!

I want my grenade launcher back!

Top Bottom