• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aliens: Colonial Marines |OT| Game Over Man, GAME OVER!

GrayFoxPL

Game has custom control map!

Shit I must get it now. 1 on 1000 fps'es that let's me remap the retarded L3 sprint button.

BUT IT STILL SOUNDS LIKE ALIENS, DOE

Curse the sound design keeping me interested.

Yup. It looks and sounds close *enough* to Aliens for my inner 13-year-old to enact a few power fantasies. I genuinely think the multiplayer looks kind of fun, too.

Meanwhile, my current self has a deposit down and is sitting here thinking 'is it really worth it'?

Yup. It looks and sounds close *enough* to Aliens for my inner 13-year-old to enact a few power fantasies. I genuinely think the multiplayer looks kind of fun, too.

Meanwhile, my current self has a deposit down and is sitting here thinking 'is it really worth it'?

Yeah. It's like a bad Jurassic Park game I want to play just because it's Jurassic Park.

Yeah. It's like a bad Jurassic Park game I want to play just because it's Jurassic Park.

*raises hand* guilty as charged.

Sometimes you just gotta go for it and hope for the best.

I think the game looks pretty cool, but I don't play many modern shooters. I could understand that if you did it would seem tired.

SpaceHorror

I thought that, too - but on the other hand a
nice build up to the actual planet/hive could be alright. I wouldn't expect them to just dump you in a room and you're swarmed by aliens.

I still really want some clarification on what 2/4-player modes are in the game and which ones will require a DLC pass.

Full campaign is co-op: 4 player online, 2 player split screen. No 2 player split/2 player online mixed iirc. There are 11 levels.

There are 4 modes shipping with the game beyond that, all multiplayer.

Team Deathmatch: Pretty self explanatory.

Escape: Basically L4D versus mode. Team of Marines trying to get from Point A to B with a team of xenos trying to stop them.

Extermination: Objective based bode that has Marines trying to destroy things on a MP map with xenos trying to stop them.

Survivor: iirc this is 4 player co-op marines trying to survive as long as possible against a xeno onslaught. There may be more to it, but I can't remember.

Dude said on the IGN stream that there are a lot of maps and that we'd be surprised about how many there are. Could be PR bullshit.

DLC:

Bug Hunt: Horde mode

Edit: Here is a screenshot from the stream confirming those four modes in launch version of the game.

8_zps98c244e5.png

It still sucks to have to lower your expectations for something so monumental to geek, sci-fi and gaming culture as Aliens.

No bots I take it? Its purely player vs player? And does anybody know if the horde mode scales to the number of players?

I know the campaign scales.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Full campaign is co-op: 4 player online, 2 player split screen. No 2 player split/2 player online mixed iirc.

Escape: Basically L4D versus mode. Team of Marines trying to get from Point A to B with a team of xenos trying to stop them.

Extermination: Objective based bode that has Marines trying to destroy things on a MP map with xenos trying to stop them.

Survivor: iirc this is 4 player co-op marines trying to survive as long as possible against a xeno onslaught. There may be more to it, but I can't remember.

Dude said on the IGN stream that there are a lot of maps and that we'd be surprised about how many there are. Could be PR bullshit.

DLC:

Great, thanks.

So how do Survivor and Horde mode differ?

Smiled at Jonesy. God i'm a geek.

VashTS

I assumed survivor mode was a call back to the older mode in AVP2. Where there's a full team of marines and 1 or 2 aliens. Every marine that dies respawns as an alien.

I really hope it's not just a co-op mode and is more similar to the AVP2 mode. It was a blast.

SpaceHorror

I assumed survivor mode was a call back to the older mode in AVP2. Where there's a full team of marines and 1 or 2 aliens. Every marine that dies respawns as an alien.

I really hope it's not just a co-op mode and is more similar to the AVP2 mode. It was a blast.

I believe my description of it is correct. It's basically the same as L4D2's Survival mode.

I could be wrong, though. However, I know my descriptions of the other modes are accurate.

EagleEyes

Please please please tell me there is no screen tearing in the 360 version. I couldn't tell from that playthrough if there was or not.

VashTS

I believe my description of it is correct. It's basically the same as L4D2's Survival mode.

I could be wrong, though. However, I know my descriptions of the other modes are accurate.

"Marine team must survive unrelenting Xenomorph attacks until time is up. Play with
4 on 4." -Instruction booklet (PC PDF on steam) says otherwise.

ultrazilla

Gold Member
Just pre-orderd the digital pc download from Gamestop as I had gift cards that needed to be used!

PC master race version and eventually the WiiU edition(best console version).

Bring on Tuesday!!
GbMD0YRl.jpg

Raptomex

Full campaign is co-op: 4 player online, 2 player split screen. No 2 player split/2 player online mixed iirc. There are 11 levels.

DLC:

Edit: Here is a screenshot from the stream confirming those four modes in launch version of the game.
4 modes shipping with the game? You mean the multiplayer modes listed or 4 modes for single player?

~Kinggi~

Banned
Fighting aliens should be some insane intense experience but these videos just make them out to be poorly coded ai bores.

Leynos

AVP is a good game but I curse the day they put Predators in my Alien.

I hear that.

As for this game, I really don't understand all of the negativity. The previews and videos look just fine. Granted, I play about one FPS every few years so I'm no connoisseur.

Meesh

Does anyone know the details as to why the Wiiu version is delayed, I thought it would've made more sense for a simultaneous launch? Just wondering about the details :)

Question about the story (don't read if you haven't seen the movie yet):

Sorry, if this has already been answered but didn't they nuke the planet at the end of Aliens? How come that there are still xenomorphs and all the buildings left?

Sorry, if this has already been answered but didn't they nuke the planet at the end of Aliens? How come that there are still xenomorphs and all the buildings left?

They didn't nuke it, I believe some nuclear reactor (or something) melted down/exploded which they said was equivalent to a nuclear bomb

Game spoiler?
And I believe in this game they state that the explosion didn't entirely wipe the colony away or something...

They didn't nuke it, I believe some nuclear reactor (or something) melted down/exploded which they said was equivalent to a nuclear bomb

Since this game is in the story canon it makes me wonder how they're going to explain that Hadley's Hope shows no signs of a nuclear winter. Maybe it's the planet's atmosphere.

SpaceHorror

Does anyone know the details as to why the Wiiu version is delayed, I thought it would've made more sense for a simultaneous launch? Just wondering about the details :)

I believe the official reason for its delay revolves around the extra time needed to implement the Wii U gamepad features into the game.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual

... are spoilers for a 25+ year old movie necessary?

The set up for this game makes absolutely zero sense given some of Bishop's dialogue about it. Fox considering it canon was probably to the effect of "Yeah, fine, whatever.."

KAOS

Sometimes it' s hard to remember just how much Aliens has influence other shooters. Speaking of I wish A:CM had the health regen of Halo instead of health packs. The game has some minor screen tearing but the game is fun!

Andrew.

Banned
Sometimes it' s hard to remember just how much Aliens has influence other shooters. Speaking of I wish A:CM had the health regen of Halo instead of health packs. The game has some minor screen tearing but the game is fun!

If anything, health packs are something the game does right. If that's true, rock on.

Meesh

I believe the official reason for its delay revolves around the extra time needed to implement the Wii U gamepad features into the game.
The motion tracker is bound to be a cool aspect, and hopefully the option in there for off tv play. I'm really hoping for some kind of limited edition for Wiiu though, additional content, figures, you name it I'm there. This game can't come soon enough :)

Some guy got the game early. Let's see how this goes...

looks fun and suspenseful. Environments are diverse and detailed.

I have a feeling there will be a lot of funny moments in 4player co-op and in marines vs alien online modes.

Health packs? Interest rising, slightly.

VASPER

Banned
O7qVWl6l.jpg

Ok so i got it early and I'm, not sure how i feel yet. The game in many was need a lot of polish and makes me wounder what have they been doing with all the time they have been given.
I am only about 2 hours in and i have fought lots of humans, i like the dynamic of Aliens fighting other bad troops but still WFT

Top Bottom