• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aliens: Colonial Marines |OT| Game Over Man, GAME OVER!

Jackpot

Banned
What I don't get is that the Pulse Rifle sounds have been great in all the previous games. And in fact it was the early Colonial Marines videos where it sounded like they were reusing the Thompson sound effect from Brothers in Arms.

AHA-Lambda

All this negativity wont overcome my staunch love for the Aliens universe. Hell, if I could force myself to enjoy Prometheus, I can enjoy Colonial Marines...right?

If you love the Aliens universe then you should have higher standards and not accept any crap they put out. This goes for anyone who loves a franchise.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
They still made Borderlands 1/2. Though it seems a little more clear where the effort went when you look at A:CM.

i dunno man i stopped playing borderlands 2 after about 5 hours i hated the fucking bullshit size quests being only avaliable once the area is done, that shit was a filthy idea compared to original and really annoyed me, the game felt very samey but not in a good way, the general game areas i played felt pretty poor n bland and the balance of the classes was crap.

my main problem was the secondary quests though the way they was handled was so annoying compared to the original

Bad7667

If you love the Aliens universe then you should have higher standards and not accept any crap they put out. This goes for anyone who loves a franchise.
I have to agree with this. If this game makes a profit the only thing that that will show publishers is you can release really shitty games and as long as it has some kind of licence people like, it can sell. Which is exactly the opposite anyone should want to have happen. I suppose it cold be good but I very much doubt that.

Why give Gearbox of all developers the Aliens licence, there was no way this game was going to be anything other than a action shooter because that's what they make now. And from early impressions it seems they couldn't even make an average action shooter.

Toxa

Is it cheap like the many CE figures we have seen last year? Since I already got it on PC from GMG, i'd be getting the CE solely for the CE goodies...

well I'm not the right guy for that so I would say cheap but descent and yes it's a ramdom marine not ripley.

So far I'm disappointed there's pretty much always a sidekick with you, the game fail to reproduce the exeperince of

Alien+vs+Predator+2.jpg

(still the best alien game)

the game looks more suited for co op experience than a lonely trip

the game is very faithfull to aliens, attention to the details is great ...

If you're a fan of aliens buy it but maybe not at High price
if not skip it !

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
For anyone who has completed it on X360 did you notice major texture pop in issues half way through the game?
Level with the caves to locate the manifest

I downloaded the title update so I don't know if thats causing it or not. The screen tearing seems to have stoped alot but is still there.

nofi

For anyone who has completed it on X360 did you notice major texture pop in issues half way through the game?

I downloaded the title update so I don't know if thats causing it or not. The screen tearing seems to have stoped alot but is still there.

There are texture loading issues throughout.

Sad thing is Gearbox already made an aliens game...their first one to be exact. Opposing forces had cocksure marines being slaughtered at the start, alien gribblies and tons of vent crawling.
Blue Shift was really good too. In fact after Half Life 1 it's my favorite Half Life game. Of course, that was a long time ago.

persongr

Yeap, and you're gonna notice it again. Not really annoying, but it's there.

Oh, and i've installed the game on my HDD, so this won't fix it.

Yeah, the motion tracker is pure rubbish. It's fan service just for the sake of fan service. It doesn't help you. In fact, it only gets in the way, since the aliens aren't really dangerous, you don't need to know where they are. The best strategy is simply to run and gun, and the motion tracker only interrupts that strategy briefly.

bryanee

Finished missios 5, 6 and 7. Mission 5 in particular was alot of fun. Aside from the visual and animation issues I'm not seeing whats supposed to be so shit but eh opinions and all that. Not as many human as enemies as I was expecting after mission 2.

zedge

$37.49 for the pc version on GMG right now. Only till Tues. Do we have any footage or impressions of the PC version yet?

Jedi2016

$37.49 for the pc version on GMG right now. Only till Tues. Do we have any footage or impressions of the PC version yet?
The IGN feed appears to have been PC version, but we don't know what level they had it set at.

When does the Steam version unlock? Monday night, midnight, PST?

guek

Banned
How can you enjoy Prometheos if you love the Alien universe?

Prometheus has its ups and downs. It's poorly written, pretentious, and weyland looks like he's played by a giant walking scrotum, but the film has some amazing performances and looks visually stunning. I can enjoy it for how pretty it is as long as I don't get too hung up on some of the more inane plot decisions. Plus Fassbender.

Eh. I'm waiting on reviews for the wii u version to see if anything is improved (or worse). I don't really mind something that feels generic as long as it's technically polished. Either way, I'm not sure if I'll buy it at full price.

Wasn't this originally like a Brothers in Arms kind of game where you ordered squad members around, telling them to weld doors and set up turrets and stuff? What a waste.

Jb

A real shame if this does end up being terrible. Brothers in Arms: HH was a pretty great squad shooter early on this gen, so you'd think if anyone could have pulled of an Aliens squad game, it'd be Gearbox.

If it ends up bombing I hope it doesn't impact too much Sega, now that they're such a vital PC publisher.

well I'm not the right guy for that so I would say cheap but descent and yes it's a ramdom marine not ripley.

So far I'm disappointed there's pretty much always a sidekick with you, the game fail to reproduce the exeperince of

Alien+vs+Predator+2.jpg

(still the best alien game)

the game looks more suited for co op experience than a lonely trip

the game is very faithfull to aliens, attention to the details is great ...

If you're a fan of aliens buy it but maybe not at High price
if not skip it !

Just played through this last night as the Marine. It's a ton of fun, but playing on Normal, it suffers from almost every single complaint I've heard about CM in this thread. It's still a blast, as a huge fan of the series, I still love it, but you some of you are remembering AVP2 with rose tinted glasses.

Bedlam

Correct!

Which one is this and where do I buy it?
AVP 1 on PC. It's on Steam for 3€.

Just played through this last night as the Marine. It's a ton of fun, but playing on Normal, it suffers from almost every single complaint I've heard about CM in this thread. It's still a blast, as a huge fan of the series, I still love it, but you some of you are remembering AVP2 with rose tinted glasses.
Yep. Compared to AVP1, the Aliens in Monolith's game were already far less menacing and the atmosphere wasn't as good either. It looks a bit better than the first game but it didn't grab me nearly as much. Never understood why some people call AVP2 the best game in the franchise.

ugggh I dont know why I am having a hard time clicking the cancel button on my preorders.

I got them both preordered at $85 right now.

Does anyone remember how long it took for the AVP CE to drop?

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
ugggh I dont know why I am having a hard time clicking the cancel button on my preorders.

I got them both preordered at $85 right now.

Does anyone remember how long it took for the AVP CE to drop?
Both?

That AvP2 video - such a great game, and genuinely scary in parts. Crazy that people are still struggling to hit something of that quality (for the time).

I feel like I want this game. Love the Alien universe and some of the games (like Alien: Trilogy and AvP2, and that 2010 AvP game too, because it wasn't that bad actually).

And people, are there any real connections to Prometheus besides the derelict ship? I remember, Gearbox had some negotiations on this with Ridley Scott. Please, no spoilers - just yes or no.

Top Bottom