• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All banned 360s get unbanned for a few hours and then rebanned, cause unknown.

Status
Not open for further replies.
fy1y0g.gif

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Strike said:
Some week huh, Guys?

Free Crushed
I support this.

Also, hella ignorance going around if you think MS is coincidentally just taking in the hackers like refugees. The timing points towards them testing their security levels, you know, in lieu of the PSN fiasco.

Korosenai

Well this is kind of dumb.

I got banned on the xbox forums for 'spam' until 2164, but people who cheated or j-tagged their xboxes to gain an unfair advantage get to play again?

wat

NubInaTub said:
Well this is kind of dumb.

I got banned on the xbox forums for 'spam' until 2164, but people who cheated or j-tagged their xboxes to gain an unfair advantage get to play again?

wat

They got to play again anyway with a new xbox anyway.

MS probably is ramping up to test all their security. I'm in the camp that thinks that MS will release a new console in 2012 if they are smart, so it also makes sense in that context because they'll want to make sure they've taken all the precautions so that the 720 won't be as easily hackable as the 360.

_Xenon_

Banned
Just checked some Chinese gaming forum. Seems legit.

It unbans everybody and flashes their dvd drivers back to default. Unbanned players can connect online and play legit copies of games but for pirated games they have to flash the driver every single time.

_Xenon_ said:
Just checked some Chinese gaming forum. Seems legit.

It unbans everybody and flashes their dvd drivers back to default. Unbanned players can connect online and play legit copies of games but for pirated games they have to flash the driver every single time.

Is that hard to do? I really have no idea.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
There are basically two possible causes:

1. Testing the network
2. Someone hacked XBL

Really hoping it's the former.

_Xenon_

Banned
rapid32.5 said:
how else they gonna punish pirates if they don't ban consoles ?
My guess is after next update (the new dvd driver thing) it will be impossible to pirate on XBOX.

I mean even for pirates they have to pay XBL gold to play online so why does MS have to kill them off?

beast786

_Xenon_ said:
My guess is after next update (the new dvd driver thing) it will be impossible to pirate on XBOX.

I mean even for pirates they have to pay XBL gold to play online so why does MS have to kill them off?

I am not sure if the publishers are going to be happy with that.

_Xenon_

Banned
beast786 said:
I am not sure if the publishers are going to be happy with that.
Do you really think banning online gaming is a serious punishment? Online or not people can still 'steal' most of the gaming experience by pirating and for game companies 90% of the development budget are spent on offline gaming anyway. Now it's just like giving those dudes a second chance to actually pay something (XBL gold member, MS points for DLC, etc).

Besides, from what I heard, it seems it's quite impossible to flash the driver after next update. So all is good I guess.

beast786

_Xenon_ said:
Do you really think banning online gaming is a serious punishment? Online or not people can still 'steal' most of the gaming experience by pirating and for game companies 90% of the development budget are spent on offline gaming anyway. Now it's just like giving those dudes a second chance to actually pay something (XBL gold member, MS points for DLC, etc).

Besides, from what I heard, it seems it's quite impossible to flash the driver after next update. So all is good I guess.

Halo, Gears, Call of duty. Biggest 3 franchise on 360 and all depend on online.

Pirating is not the only reason those people were banned. Plus, there is no such thing as "Impossible" when it comes to hacking. I think we learned that for sure.

Yoritomo

My guess is that after the new dash they'll be able to tell if a particular game is a pirated copy or not.

Previously banned consoles still flag saves and profiles and tie them to that particular machine. The machine still thinks it's banned and acts as a banned console. They have not changed that flag on the machine.

They are now allowing those machines online. I don't know if they can currently boot game copies online but my guess is that after the incoming spring update they won't be able to so they're giving pirates a chance to go legit.

Yoritomo

expy said:
If you're playing 'backups' it should be fine no? You are paying afterall!

If it isn't the original disc you could get banned. Boxes that were previously banned because of this have now been unbanned, but they are still flagged. Meaning save games created on these systems and profiles pulled to these systems will not transfer to any other consoles.

Yoritomo

It would probably be better to say that banned boxes are still banned but for whatever reason MS is now allowing them on Xbox live.

Yoritomo

Jinfash said:
Wait, I can't tell if this news is real/confirmed or FUD lol.

It's real... kind of.

The boxes aren't unbanned. MS is just letting them get on live. The only thing that's definitely for sure is that an xbox live profile can be pulled to a previously banned box and connect to live. They may have just moved the barrier on the banned box down the field a little so flagged consoles can now connect to live. Dunno if they can play online, play online with burned games, download updates, download dlc, but they can definitely connect their profile from a flagged box.

Pollux

Does it matter? I mean Yea it sucks but as for people on here rushing to get their bricked xboxes....don't you have another unbanned one? why would you just go use the old one?

_Xenon_

Banned
Yoritomo said:
It's real... kind of.

The boxes aren't unbanned. MS is just letting them get on live. The only thing that's definitely for sure is that an xbox live profile can be pulled to a previously banned box and connect to live. They may have just moved the barrier on the banned box down the field a little so flagged consoles can now connect to live. Dunno if they can play online, play online with burned games, download updates, download dlc, but they can definitely connect their profile from a flagged box.
They have to get the latest update through USB or something. After that they are no different from those who never get banned. Their flashed driver is back to default so they have to flash it again to play pirated games, every time (the driver will go back to normal by itself every time it seems).

surly

Banned
boundedseven said:
Wonder if Microsoft got scared and/or threats and responded to that
I doubt it's that. The new 360 firmware flashes the DVD drive back to stock firmware and you will be forced to install that firmware if you want to play on Live. I would imagine that this allows them to easily check if people are running legit firmware on their drives. It seems more like them giving a chance for pirates (or people who genuinely back up their legit games) to go legit, because if they can flash the drive firmware, then they can surely check to see if the firmware has been modified when the console boots, connect to Live or whatever.

Peterthumpa

Wait, wait... is this... true?
Holy console lord, what a rollercoaster week.

Now what? Steam is hacked and all games sold for US$ 1 for 24 hrs?

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
The timing of this is insane.

I'm sure MS didn't intend for any of this to go down like this but hell, they will take it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom