• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alleged hacker held in Prague at center of 'intense' US-Russia tug of war

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZOONAMI

From The Guardian:

An alleged computer hacker being held in the Czech Republic is at the centre of an international legal tussle between the United States and Russia amid lingering disquiet over Moscow’s alleged interference in the recent US presidential election.

Yevgeniy Nikulin, 29, faces extradition requests from both countries after being detained by Czech police on an Interpol arrest warrant issued by US authorities.

https://www.theguardian.com/technol...sia-hacking-yevgeniy-nikulin-linkedin-dropbox

Lock if old.

Edit: apparently has nothing to do with election hacking. Sorry folks. Mods sorry about this. Still news I suppose though.

However, The Guardian suggests - One theory is Nikulin – even if not personally involved in the election hacking – may know other hackers who were. Photograph: Police of the Czech Republic

More context from article:

Meanwhile, Russia has responded to the American extradition request against Nikulin by tabling one of its own, demanding that he be returned to face allegations dating back to 2009 that he hacked another person’s bank account and stole 111,000 roubles (£1,465).

“He was never formally accused at that time. I think the reason is that he was recruited [by the Russian security services],” said Ondrej Kundra, political editor with the Czech weekly magazine Respekt, which has reported that the Russian services offer alleged offenders immunity from prosecution in exchange for collaboration.

lazygecko

In before some "mistakes" being made by US authorities attempting to snatch him now that the orange clown is in charge.

majik13

Sounds like he is not really related to the US election hacking, but they are hoping that he could have some info. Russia wanting him back kinda implies as much as well. Especially since its an old crime they didn't charge him for before.

Moments hunter

Neo Member
I am Czech. This is no big deal here and it is kinda old news. Jury still did not decide about fate of the guy but last word will have minister of justice anyway.

Latest words from one of the Czech MP was: "I hope our secret services will squeeze this guy." Lol

gutshot

Sounds like he is not really related to the US election hacking, but they are hoping that he could have some info. Russia wanting him back kinda implies as much as well. Especially since its an old crime they didn't charge him for before.

Eh. Russia isn't going to want any citizen of theirs extradited to the US nowadays. Just because they moved to block the extradition, doesn't imply anything IMO.

I really, really doubt this guy had any knowledge of the DNC hacks since that was a state-sponsored, high level attack and this kid just seems like a lone wolf.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom