• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AllThingsD breaks: Mattrick leaves Microsoft, joins Zynga as CEO, MS/Zynga confirm

DarkFlow

Banned
Wouldn't be surprised if Zynga is now purchased by EA or Microsoft for some mind boggling amount of money.
I don't think anyone wants them really. They don't really do anything original, and the name is in the dumps with a lot of people. If someone was going to buy, they would have done it by now. If anything they get bought out later when they are worth even less.

Rajack

Bye bye MattyD. Don't let the door hit you on the way out! Maybe now the Xbox division can work to undo the damage this clown has caused.

jcm

I'm not sure if he lives in an apartment, but I do know Miyamoto insists on getting paid a normal salary (despite his vast seniority at the company), and he likes to ride his bike into work.

What's a normal salary? Last I heard, he was making about $1.5M a year.

He was probably distressed over the whole DRM fiasco....I wonder if that decision was truly his or not.

I mean, the entire Xbox One ecosystem was greenlit by him, so whether the market/Ballmer forced his hand, may have been enough to tip him to jump ship and work on more challenging/interesting projects for him. It had to have been a slap in the face to devote yourself for a few years to one central division, only to have it reversed a week later after an embarrassment on a national stage. He certainly didn't do a good enough job on communicating his message.

Being a CEO of a 2.4B company is certainly a big promotion for him.

Regardless of what you felt about the DRM issues, he certainly thought it was a step in the right direction for a digitally connected system.

I don't think it's a promotion. Overseeing a platform launch is basically the pinnacle of video game executive jobs. He was a president of MS, running a multi-billion dollar a year business, had effectively unlimited resources, and was overseeing something like a dozen game studios and a hardware division.

Vashetti

Banned
Can someone please summarize what's so bad about Zynga ?

And why an executive of such a high caliber would take on damocles throne ( if it's really that bad )

538566_259218387502855_360601449_n.jpg

Karak

As someone concerned about Microsoft company performance, I believe Mattrick is quite an asset to any business he applies his acumen towards. Minus his appalling PR screwups, he's a great executive and has worked wonders in IEB, XBOX and EA.

As a gamer, I can't stand him. :p

Pretty much agreed here. Though, as a gamer, I COULD stand him up. He just gaffed recently and those gaffs keep making me think more things were going on behind the scenes than we will know for a while. Until the book comes out:)

amardilo

Good luck to Don Mattrick, hope he does well at Zynga.

Ballmer being in charge, for now, is the biggest news from this story for me. He is hardly a champion of gamers.

Yeah this is rather worrying for now. Hope this is only in the short term and MS get someone in very soon who knows games and gamers.

QaaQer

Can someone please summarize what's so bad about Zynga ?

Pincus. He is very very unethical, although many would defend him by saying 'its just business'.

And why an executive of such a high caliber would take on damocles throne ( if it's really that bad )

It's not. It is a big gaming company with a 2 or 3 billion dollar market cap, and real upsides. Pincus has been a terrible CEO.

I know nothing about Mattrick or his situation, but some people would rather be CEO of a smaller company than VP of a large one once they have secured their financial future. Add into that some potentially massive stock option bonuses if he can get the share price up at Zynga, and the position starts looking pretty good.

Contrast that with Microsoft. The xbox divison is likely going to be absorbed into another unit, so he was probably looking at no longer being a division head. But even as a division head, he was still taking orders. And no way is he going to get massive stock options with huge upside potential at MS, or be in line for Ballmer's job.

Ingeniero

Goodbye Don, I'll miss you.

OK serious business now, I think Phil Spencer or Peter Moore would be good choices.
Please no Yusuf or Harrison.
Ballmer calling the shots mean while? I'm OK with this.
Microsoft and the Xbox One will be fine, just take your time Ballmer, pick wisely.

I know it's a pipe dream, but man it would be nice if Peter Moore and J Allard would come back. They were such a dream team.

I know Peter Moore screwed up royally with the RRoD fiasco (specifically denying the problems and being slow to respond to them), but in spite of that he still built an amazing foundation for the Xbox 360 to prosper. But I don't think he'd ever make a mistake like that again (nor will the Xbox hardware team), and he is the type of guy who could fix the Xbox One's messaging problem.

Brimstone

my reputation is Shadowruined
Strange.

When Peter Moore stepped down Mattrick was at MS for few months. Now Mattrick steps down with no replacement on the eve of a huge product launch.

Sorry but Mattricks comment about backwards compatibility and system power were lame. It seemed to me he just didn't care if someone disagreed and was aloof. When Moore was in charge he tried to do the right thing. RROD wasn't Moores fault...it was the sodder used that hurt Nvidia as well.

With Mattrick at the helm a lot of EA people seemed to have gotten hired. This has made the Xbox division the armpit of Microsoft. It doesn't mean EA employees are bad...just bad management by Mattrick and obvious groupthink.

Strange.

When Peter Moore stepped down Mattrick was at MS for few months. Now Mattrick steps down with no replacement on the eve of a huge product launch.

Sorry but Mattricks comment about backwards compatibility and system power were lame. It seemed to me he just didn't care if someone disagreed and was aloof. When Moore was in charge he tried to do the right thing. RROD wasn't Moores fault...it was the sodder used that hurt Nvidia as well.

With Mattrick at the helm a lot of EA people seemed to have gotten hired. This has made the Xbox division the armpit of Microsoft. It doesn't mean EA employees are bad...just bad management by Mattrick and obvious groupthink.
I love Peter Moore, and think they should bring him back. But lets not forget, while the initial manufacturing problem wasn't his fault-- it was his failure to respond quickly which turned this thing into the $1.1 billion "biggest consumer recall" ever. He denied it a bunch at first. And then when they finally started to internally acknowledge it was a problem, they were still shipping out bad consoles. It wasn't until late 2008 (a full 3 years after launch, and a year and a half after Moore left) when Microsoft started shipping out Jasper consoles which finally solved the RRoD problem. And it wasn't until 2010 when they shipped a visually redesigned model that the general public, interested in buying a console, were comfortable in knowing that they console they were buying wasn't going to crap out.

Good luck to Don Mattrick, hope he does well at Zynga.

Yeah this is rather worrying for now. Hope this is only in the short term and MS get someone in very soon who knows games and gamers.

I doubt it. Everything going on with the Xbox division is completely in line with all of Microsoft's other non gaming ventures. It seems pretty clear that all the problems are a part of Ballmer's vision and blueprint. If anything, the Xbox division will get another corporate suit who is a less a gamer and more a Ballmer yes man then even Mattrick was.

I love Peter Moore, and think they should bring him back. But lets not forget, while the initial manufacturing problem wasn't his fault-- it was his failure to respond quickly which turned this thing into the $1.1 billion "biggest consumer recall" ever. He denied it a bunch at first. And then when they finally started to internally acknowledge it was a problem, they were still shipping out bad consoles. It wasn't until late 2008 (a full 3 years after launch, and a year and a half after Moore left) when Microsoft started shipping out Jasper consoles which finally solved the RRoD problem. And it wasn't until 2010 when they shipped a visually redesigned model that the general public, interested in buying a console, were comfortable in knowing that they console they were buying wasn't going to crap out.

actually, afa 'aloofness' goes, his 'things break' comment at the time equaled just about any of mattrick's recent (x)boners...

Top Bottom