• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Almost a year after its release, how is Windows 10 now? Should I upgrade from 7?

You remind me of my uncle. He asked me to help him with his computer. He was running WinME.

That was when I officially retired from my duties as family PC repair person.

Oh come on! Lol :p

I'm not that out of date yet....

I just have to stop telling people in a few years lest I be judged a peasant.... :D

Cday

Banned
I "upgraded" and immediately ran into game compatibility problems and that's coming from 8.1, not 7. It also had information waivers for using basic features. Dropped that shit so hard. It's free for a reason. Adware 10, just upgrade stupid.

It's a good OS. The performance boost from Windows 7 alone makes the upgrade worth it.

I've had serious recent problems with one game. Dead Rising 2 wouldn't work with an X1 controller so I Steam refunded it. (It's possible this would have been a problem in Windows 7 too, but I get an impression the fan-made hack fixes might have worked there.) Nvidia drivers also seem slightly less reliable than I'd expect, though I'm not seeing anything too severe. This year it's been smooth sailing otherwise.

And while it's too bad I won't be able to play a few older games like DR2, getting able to play new exclusive games like Killer Instinct and soon Forza is pretty fair compensation.

I'm really liking it. OS X is my primary day-to-day OS but the improvements in Win10 have brought me back.

Crazy disappointed I can't seem to get Dark Force II: Jedi Knight working, though. :(

kuYuri

The following games on my steam library have problems in Win10 that i didn't have in Win7:

-Undertale: Using a controller causes the character to be stuck into a direction from time to time.
-Civilization 3 Complete: Game crashes whenever a cinematic plays, at the space race status screen, randomly at the victory/lose screen and after giving you your ranking after finishing a game.
-Fallout 3 Game of the year edition: Game is 100% uncompatible with Win 10, will not even open.

This might seem like a short list, but it could mean many other games will have problems with it.

Fallout 3 is definitely not "100% uncompatible", I launched it just fine in W10 just a few weeks ago. Can only speak from my experience of course.

jett

D-Member
Well, the free upgrade period from Win7 and Win8 is only supposed to be for 12 months, right?

Disadvantages are mainly in the form of privacy. By default, Win10 wants to know everything about you and even includes a fucking keylogger. Blah. There are guides to fixing some of those issues but even after taking all those steps it still frequently phones home...something. No one's sure what.

From a gaming perspective, expect better performance since Windows 10 is even more lightweight than Win8 (which was more lightweight than Win7).

I personally made the upgrade to Win10 but disabled all monitoring and invasive settings. Make sure if you create your account to not use a microsoft/live account as that enables some extra snooping that can't be disabled in the settings.

Well that's fucked.

I'll be sticking to W7 for as long as I can.

Bizzquik

I love Windows 10. No problems whatsoever.

I have upgraded to Win10 on two computers and installed it fresh on three others.

I have one issue with it that I haven't been able to resolve.

It runs like absolute garbage unless I disable, or set sleep to 4 hours.

If sleep is set at 2 hours, 30 minutes, 10 minutes etc. it runs like crap the moment I stop using it for a couple minutes.

If I'm watching a movie, doing some work or browsing the internet it will run great for the whole duration. If I stop everything and walk away for a minute leaving it idle, it will be locked up when I get back and it takes a few minutes for it to respond.

Nuu

Banned
Windows 10 still has some fuckeries in regards to its updates breaking stuff. Though it isn't THAT common and if you are willing to put in about an hour or two of work things go smoothly afterward.

Let me just put this out there. Microsoft support for Windows 7 being 3 versions behind will be limited and dwindling. They want to support N+1. Basically Windows 10 and 8.1.

Pacotez

Let me just put this out there. Microsoft support for Windows 7 being 3 versions behind will be limited and dwindling. They want to support N+1. Basically Windows 10 and 8.1.

Does the support even matter? Aside of the SP1, what else would you need on W7? Updates more than often just breaks stuff.

Talking from my own experience here, I've never had any issue resolved thru support with any windows aside of googling.

Jinketsu

I upgraded from day 1, and the only issue I had was with FFXI. But I installed Legacy Components from within the Windows features options and that was fixed straight away. Been a blast since.

Well that's fucked.

I'll be sticking to W7 for as long as I can.

It's pretty silly, honestly. We're talking about anonymized telemetry data and software like Cortana (an integrated -- and optional -- Windows 10 user agent) remembering what you tell her. Calling that "a fucking keylogger" and freaking out about 'mysterious data phoning home' is more than a little disingenuous. This stuff isn't hidden or secret, we know what's happening and why.

But if you're deeply terrified of basic telemetry you can turn that all off, obviously. EDIT: I'm being snarky, but for real, if that's what you personally need then go for it. It's an option.

Does the support even matter? Aside of the SP1, what else would you need on W7? Updates more than often just breaks stuff.

Talking from my own experience here, I've never had any issue resolved thru support with any windows aside of googling.
Security stuff matters, though I'm sure MS will be supporting Windows 7 for a while there. For gaming purposes I would assume drivers etc. on Windows 7 will be seeing less and less attention. That's probably a bigger issue.

TaterTots

Banned
I've had zero issues. In fact, I'd say it might be their best OS to date. People like to complain about the privacy issues, but you can turn most, if not all of those features off. You might as well upgrade. If not, you're going to pay for it sooner or later while Windows 7 support dwindles.

Security stuff matters, though I'm sure MS will be supporting Windows 7 for a while there. For gaming purposes I would assume drivers etc. on Windows 7 will be seeing less and less attention. That's probably a bigger issue.

Mainstream support of Windows 7 has already ended as of January 2015. Extended support runs through 2020. But don't count on every vulnerability being patched that far into the future.

Here is the lifecycle support sheet: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/lifecycle

Shaneus

Huh, I just realised I could probably ghost my Windows 7 drive to another SSD and upgrade *that* to Windows 10. Sweet.

The following games on my steam library have problems in Win10 that i didn't have in Win7:

-Undertale: Using a controller causes the character to be stuck into a direction from time to time.
-Civilization 3 Complete: Game crashes whenever a cinematic plays, at the space race status screen, randomly at the victory/lose screen and after giving you your ranking after finishing a game.
-Fallout 3 Game of the year edition: Game is 100% uncompatible with Win 10, will not even open.

This might seem like a short list, but it could mean many other games will have problems with it.

Games not launching is usually a DirectX issue. Download the newest DirectX 9 redistributable and that should fix it.

This one I think: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8109

Yudoken

For Windows 10 use classic shell, clover and Displayfusion (which cost a bit) and you will be fine. 10 is basically 8.1 with a lot of annoyances gone. 7/8.1/10 aren't really different and runs fine for most people.

I recommend a clean installation but it's not necessary.

SillyJoe

I thought I was going to go back to 7, but I actually prefer 10 after using it for some time:

- The task manager is more informative (I especially like the more distinguishable and accurate icons for each process)

- Pinning programs to the new start menu is nice

- Using 'Pin to Quick access' is nice as it allows you to access any folder you want, straight from the start menu

- The new 'View' navigation bar in Explorer is nice (again, more visually appealing and quicker access to those options)

Downsides:

- Windows Update is even worse. No opting out of updates before downloading them, automatically downloading updates after scanning for new updates, etc.

- Takes some configuring (for example, 'disabling' the built-in spyware & disabling the automatic device driver installation)

Windows 10 profile has been corrupted twice. In two different pcs, you have to make a bew one because the task bar stops working completely....

Dunno if this has been fixed since I changed back to 8.1.

Jamaro85

I love it honestly. Windows boots up a lot faster and everything runs a lot snappier. The Start Bar feels a little cluttered with the Metro like integrated tiles, but it's better than having Metro + no Start Bar. I don't really like how the "Apps" (Program Files) interface looks as it reminds me of Windows Phone interfaces, but it's passable.

Having something that resembles a start bar, booting up faster and running more smoothly are reasons enough for me to not regret the upgrade from 7.

deadman69

had what i think was all the windows apps just stopped working. the start menu wouldn't open, the new calculator app wouldn't open, etc..

I regret upgrading from W7. Forced updates are the worst.

One update, which was supposedly just a minor weekly update, ended up acting like a "clean install" without warning. I lost a ton of data. Now every time W10 asks me to update (which is damn near DAILY at this point) I have this really bad fear that it's going to wipe everything again. I just don't know with this stupid OS anymore.

If I didn't need to stick with Windows for game development reasons I would have just switched to Linux fulltime or reverted back to Win 7 (which gave me no issues). Windows 10 just isn't worth it, not even if it's "free."

akashhhhh

The automatic driver updates are infuriating. It was all good until I turned on my PC to see that the Radeon driver had been updated to Crimson without any notification. There's a very buried setting to turn this off across the board, but the wording of the option makes me wonder if Microsoft will still push driver updates. I feel less in control of my PC than ever, which is the antithesis of why I own one. If I wanted forced, push updates I would use a tablet.

Red Hood

Banned
I gave it a go, feels and looks pretty much exactly like Windows 7 so that's a win in my book. All software seems to work and all games that I tested as well. I hope the supposed forced updates aren't that intrusive, but I suppose I'll find out soon.

In the meantime, I've noticed two things. First, according to most of you the booting is much quicker. But I'm experiencing the exact opposite. It's weird, because I don't feel it booting slower, but according to this graph yesterday (when I had Windows 7) it took around 12 seconds. But now - with Windows 10 - it's 27 seconds.

bootw3suu.png

Second, I see some software now explicitly asks you for permission ("Do you want to allow this app from an unknown publisher to make changes to your PC?"). I have a few of these on start up (like D3DOverrider), so having to confirm everything tends to be somewhat annoying. Is there a way to turn this off without changing the notification prompts to "never notify"? I don't want to risk any potential viruses.

Rell

I upgraded from Windows 7. Windows 10 definitely boots from a full shutdown better.

It's like so many other things; dink around with the settings and turn pretty much everything off, open the start menu and turn everything off, hit up the toolbar and turn everything off.

Turn all the selling points off and it's pretty solid.

StewboaT_

My dell xps laptop wouldn't properly enter hibernate/sleep mode so I had to revert back to win 7. I think something kept waking the system. Anyone know what might have been happening?

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I upgraded as soon as I could. There were a few minor bugs here and there but I guess that is to be expected of anything new. After the November update that was when I started having a lot of trouble with BSOD's. Had never had one before but ended up getting 2-3 a week for a few months! I tried everything and what done the trick was a motherboard BIOS update. So, not really all of Windows 10's fault.

Since then everything has been real smooth. I honestly have no problems with it.

I like it, so far nothing too major that I couldn't find a way to tweak or work around. I love the ability to stream from my Xbone though, Sometimes I wanna sit on the couch sometimes, I wanna be close with a LCD screen and a second screen for other stuff. The Xbox app is pretty sweet allowing everything from installing and buying games to messaging and watching DVR's

Rembrandt

Banned
So does everyone who uses SwiftKey. The data is used to train the autocorrect system.

By collecting common words from everyone using the soft keyboard and running them through machine learning, they can make the guesses more accurate. For example, if a whole bunch of people start using the term "drumpf", they can increase the weight the autocorrect system uses for that word.

and the other one is for cortana which is the same shit apple has with siri and google with google now.

people are weirdly paranoid.

i really like W10, though. Surprisingly so. It's a perfect blend of 7 and 8. The start menu is fantastic and I love having world news, weather and local clippings right there. it's like all of the great stuff from rainmeter without any of the lag or ugly shit.

Vuze

Been using it on my cloud book for a while and upgraded my main PC yesterday (clean install from USB). Installation was blazingly fast and all my hardware except for my capture card (understandably) was ready from the get-go which is pretty nice.

It certainly feels more snappier compared to Windows 7 and I expect it to boost game performance pretty notably as well considering the benchmarks.

I haven't played any games yet though, but my Xbox One controller + wireless connector work perfectly fine so there's that lol

big_z

If you waited this long, migh as well wait until the anniversary update, there is a new start menu and notificacion center which seem better, plus dark theme for most bundled windows apps.

this. im waiting for the update myself before doing a clean install. don't want to spend forever running updates when there should be a fully updated iso when the anniversary version is out.

Top Bottom