• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Always too slow download.

Spyxos

I have a 100 MB/s connection. My pc is connected to the router through a 100Gb switch via ethernet(cat7). My download speed is on almost all devices greatly reduced 9-11 MB/s. I am on win 10. For whatever reason the Xbox loads at 100MB/s and that with Wlan.

Maybe someone here has an idea?

8k9viV5.png

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Your ISP sells your connection metered (most likely) at 100 Mbps (small "b", meaning "bits"). Steam measures your bandwidth as MB/s (big "B", meaning "bytes"). One byte is 8 bits, so your 11.7 MB/s in your screenshot is actually 93.6 Mbps (11.7x8), or 93% of your available bandwidth from your service provider.

Xbox got so many complaints about this, that they changed their bandwidth reporting to Mb/s (little "b") to match people's speeds they're expecting to see from their ISP.

Bottom line - pay close attention to the size of the b.

Last edited:

Spyxos

Your ISP sells your connection metered (most likely) at 100 Mbps (small "b", meaning "bits"). Steam measures your bandwidth as MB/s (big "B", meaning "bytes"). One byte is 8 bits, so your 11.7 MB/s in your screenshot is actually 93.6 Mbps (11.7x8), or 93% of your available bandwidth from your service provider.

Xbox got so many complaints about this, that they changed their bandwidth reporting to Mb/s (little "b") to match people's speeds they're expecting to see from their ISP.

Bottom line - pay close attention to the size of the b.
Thank you and I thought I was going crazy. On Xbox they must have changed it recently or I didn't notice.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Excellent answer from jshackles jshackles , and just to add:

Almost all residential service from ISP’s deliver on what’s called a “best effort” level of service, which means “We’ll try to get you to your 100MB/s speed, but we can’t guarantee it.” So you might get 110mb one day, 70 the next, etc.” depending on how many people in your area are using service, and a few other factors.

Actual GUARANTEED throughput is mostly reserved for business contracts and has SLA’s involved, that’s when you get the speeds that you pay for - in other words, more consistency.

Last edited:
Top Bottom