• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo switch very slow?

I got a switch oled for travel (not sure I can get steamdeck before January)

Amazon had stock so I bought it asap.

The deal is, is very slow…
The online store and some apps are very laggy and freeze time to time . Feels like an old Android device trying to emulate JavaScript lol.

I download some games like doom and wolfstein, it took all night! I have 2gbps and download ps5 games fast and furious.
I tried the dock with Ethernet cable but speed was basically the same. Btw the games are veryyyy blurry.

I put everything back into the box just in case. Is my first Nintendo in a long time (had all Nintendo devices until Nintendo wii).

Is normal? I can send it back or even resell for profit, but it feels the machine have issues .
cheG6O3.jpg

This is the model I got.

Edit: had an idea and tried 2.4g and 5g
All same, very laggy and Input commands just get into the “stack array”

Last edited:
It's definitely outdated hardware, but yours sounds especially bad. Perhaps try an in-store kiosk model and see if it is better. If so, perhaps yours is faulty.

Banned
the store has been slow and shit for a while now. it got bloated after a while.
it was really fast near launch when it was more light weight.

what you see there is pretty normal. last time I went on there it was basically the same as in the video.

I'll try and record a video on my launch day model real quick. (edit: uploading)

edit2:

Last edited:
the store has been slow and shit for a while now. it got bloated after a while.
it was really fast near launch when it was more light weight.

what you see there is pretty normal. last time I went on there it was basically the same as in the video.

I'll try and record a video on my launch day model real quick.
That's what happens when they add 27 shovelware titles every day.

bender

What time is it?
The store can be extremely slow.

Doom and Wolfenstein being blurry isn't abnormal either. Check out the Digital Foundry videos as these are considered "miracle ports".

Soltype

Change your DNS settings in the switch, it helped me some with internet speeds.It's easier to navigate the store on another device, anything you buy will still download to the switch.The games look sharper in portable, which is perfect since you got it for travel.

Last edited:

F31 Leopard

Here's my Switch if you want to compare. I have wireless connection. MH Rise edition Switch. Don't mind the background music that's my son playing Roblox.
yM0qqpR.jpg

Last edited:

kapshin

The wifi chip is shit, not sure why your Ethernet is also slow, I haven't used it in mine. Maybe try a different DNS like a public Google one. Doom etc ports are going to look bad, the store is slow AF. Try games that were made for switch like Luigi's Mansion, BOTW, Mario Odyssey. You have to remember the Switch GPU is an Nvidia Tegra (2015 primarily android chip)

Last edited:
Thanks for the vid , is slow with choppy animations , mine is slower for some reason , gonna check internet again, maybe Japan and USA store it some dns settings.

Kataploom

Gold Member
The eShop in the Switch is shit, as shit as Smash online... it's just incredible at this point how "less than good enough" it is designed

UnNamed

Banned
I noticed that the store is slightly faster if you close the game. Some game has a little effect, some other like The Witcher (IIRC) makes the shop a brick.

The problem is the eShop is a full web page. Not only it has to load the info and screenshots but also the entire graphics and layout, that's why it's so simple compared to PSstore and Xbox. I read somewhere that all the menus in the UI on Switch are around 20MB.

Last edited:

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
My very very first non-OLED Switch used to do that plus constantly disconnect from wifi I decided it was the wifi chip in the console at fault (was out of warranty) so gave it to someone at work so their kid could play Minecraft.

I remember losing all my Animal Crossing data so was burnt out with Switch for a while.

Had a brand new two week old OLED model that died earlier this week and just got the replacement so haven’t set it up yet. But yeah, seems I’ve not had much luck so far with either model.

Mr Hyde

I never use the store on the Switch. It's too laggy and slow. I always use it on my phone. No reason to torture yourself just because Nintendo can't make an effort of creating a functional e-shop. They should purge it too from all the shovel ware that's constantly flooding the store too.

Top Bottom