• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Kindle Fire - $50 One for free if you buy 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angst

fire6pack.jpg

feature-hero._V310931661_.jpg

feature-6pack._V310906438_.jpg
8 GB Storage, expandable by Micro SD-card
+$15 without "special offers" screensaver
http://www.engadget.com/2015/09/17/amazon-50-fire-tablet/

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TSUGXKE/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It's incredibly cheap and I'm tempted to get one when it's available in the EU. I don't know anything about the OS though - any third party ROMs available for the older Kindle Fires?
1024 x 600 display... Hm

bigkrev

Will probably buy one just so I can get Hearthstone packs for 10% off. I've spent $50 in worse ways before.

Futureman

6 pack of tablets is such a weird promotion.

$50 is pretty insane though.I wonder what we'll be able to buy for $25 in 50 years...

RoadDogg

Tempted to get the kid edition for my 4 year old. He has an ipad mini (first one) and only watches youtube on it because I'm too cheap to buy apps. The free year of free stuff included with the kid edition might be worth it.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Yeah I made a thread a few or two ago saying their were rumors this was coming.

$50 is a steal for just a light usage tablet especially for kids.

Pastry

Banned
Yeah I made a thread a few or two ago saying their were rumors this was coming.

$50 is a steal for just a light usage tablet especially for kids.

My girlfriend adores her Fire for what it is. 50% of her time on it is spent reading, 25% on Buzzfeed and the rest playing hidden item games.

teiresias

The only possible use-case I have for a tablet is a couch device to browse GAF while I watch Netflix and eat dinner (all at the same time). Other tablets are too expensive, but this might be just the ticket for such a thing (though I've made out just fine with my Acer Chromebook to fill that niche - and it's easier to type a GAF reply on the chromebook).

ItIsOkBro

This seems like the same 7" tablet that all shitty brands carry. Like there's this one terrible 7" tablet schematic that gets rebranded over and over. They're all 1024 x 600 too.

Lucifon

£50 is pretty great, although annoying that it's $50 in the US - 1-1 conversion rates always really irritate me (Destiny TTK $40 in US, £40 in UK, srsly).

Actually really tempted just as a Hearthstone and little android game device.

clav

Years ago people were going crazy over the HP $100 Touchpad firesale.

Low resolution.

I will wait for reviews.

LQX

Bought a Amazon tablet for my nephew last year and it was pretty decent. I would have bought one also but I could not stand that interface and how much of the screen it takes up but I may be able to live with it for $50 being that my Nexus 7 is trash since the update and I cant imagine this performing worse.

Low resolution.

I will wait for reviews.

For its time it was great tablet and that price was a steal. Also it was not bad to look at.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

Low resolution.

I will wait for reviews.

Well yeah. It's $50. They had to make cuts somewhere to get the price down. :p

Reviews will be all over the place cause sites will want to compare it to a $500 iPad Air.

My girlfriend's son dropped her ipad mini last night and shattered the screen so she had to get it replaced. At this price she could buy 3 of them and keep 2 in reserve!

zbarron

Seriously considering one at that price. If anyone owns a Fire HD 6 or another similar one how is the performance? Is 1GB of RAM very limiting on it? I've never used the Fire OS.

AndyD

aka andydumi
If the $50 one can do Netflix and Youtube, I am strongly considering them for the kids so we can reclaim the Nexus 10. Add a $3 rubber case and they can abuse them all they want. They are two years old, so they don't need specs.

6 pack of tablets is such a weird promotion.

$50 is pretty insane though.I wonder what we'll be able to buy for $25 in 50 years...

Yeah, but imagine how many they'll sell basically as stocking stuffers for Christmas. Kinda ingenious really. You almost instantly make 6 new people customers of the App Store/Amazon Video/etc.

Coppanuva

Bought a Amazon tablet for my nephew last year and it was pretty decent. I would have bought one also but I could not stand that interface and how much of the screen it takes up but I may be able to live with it for $50 being that my Nexus 7 is trash since the update and I cant imagine this performing worse.

Reports are saying the UI got a facelift, so looks like the homescreen might not be using that carousel any more so you should have a lot more free space on it.

rokkerkory

They're probably not, it's a Trojan horse to get people into the ecosystem. It's genius.

True... they are also giving free cloud saves for all things amazon ecosystem related.

Prob a push for prime membership. This is smart. 6 for $250 is nuts.

Xis

Are they killing off their higher-end tablets?
The most expensive thing they announced today is the 10" tablet with a 1280x800 screen. The old HDX 8.9 has a 2560x1600 screen; and my two-year old HDX 7 has a 1920x1200 screen.

I imagine 1280x800 will be marginal for some use cases (comics reading being my big one).

Are they killing off their higher-end tablets?
The most expensive thing they announced today is the 10" tablet with a 1280x800 screen.
My two-year old Kindle HDX 7 has a 1920x1200 resolution.

I imagine 1280x800 will be marginal for some use cases (comics reading being my big one).

I think so. Their doesn't seem to be a market for high powered Android tablets so they are heading for the cheap market.

Ecrofirt

It's a real bummer that they're seemingly getting rid of the HDX line.

I got an HDX for my son two years ago and I've been very pleased.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom