• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD Radeon 500 series to launch early April, Radeon Vega in May

ZOONAMI

If the Nova/high end can match the performance of the Ti while being $100 cheaper, it will be a winner.

I think even if it's meaningfully faster than a 1080 but a bit slower than 1080 ti it will do well.

The $399 part needs to best the 1070 and the $499 part needs to match the 1080 though, so we'll see.

But yeah with the delta between 1070/1080 not all that huge but still meaningful, the $399 part could be a big winner if it sits right between 1070/1080. If it can beat a stock 1080 ocd it'll be a big winner as the 1070 can't do that.

ZOONAMI

This seems to be wccftech style copy-paste of a reddit post... =/

Yeah the reporting here doesn't really seem well researched at all. 1070 oc doesn't catch a stock 1080, and talking about the 1080ti and Titan like there's a meaningful difference is odd as well.

Thraktor

Of course the easiest explanation for 16GB figure would be that this is a prototype of a future Vega 10 chip using 8-Hi HBM2 stacks provided by Hynix for testing.

Well, yes, but if it's an actual card releasing somewhat soon, then I'd think 4x4GB would seem more likely than 2x8GB.

Radeon PRO SSG, "1 Terabyte era has begun".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-8pMM2wV7k

AMD stock up 16%+ (for no apparent reason).

Perhaps that's what Raja meant by #sweet16 (joking, of course)

This could be kind of interesting (from a technical perspective) if it's a Vega card. AMD's overview of Vega's memory system described the HBM as "High Bandwidth Cache", and the card has a virtual memory address space of 512TB, which would imply that the card can actually treat the entire 1024TB SSD and 8GB HBM as a single pool, greatly simplifying things compared to the old Fiji-based model. Of course its actual usefulness depends entirely on software support, and I don't know what kind of progress they've managed to make there, but it's an interesting curiosity nonetheless.

sfried

The flagship is water-cooled so much smaller than your equivalent 1080 Ti in terms of length. Quite a sexy looking flagship I might add. Let's hope it's packing some serious firepower.
So are they finally announcing a true successor to the R9 Nano? Wish they announced something for the MiniITX builds out there.

tuxfool

Banned
This could be kind of interesting (from a technical perspective) if it's a Vega card. AMD's overview of Vega's memory system described the HBM as "High Bandwidth Cache", and the card has a virtual memory address space of 512TB, which would imply that the card can actually treat the entire 1024TB SSD and 8GB HBM as a single pool, greatly simplifying things compared to the old Fiji-based model. Of course its actual usefulness depends entirely on software support, and I don't know what kind of progress they've managed to make there, but it's an interesting curiosity nonetheless.

What I understood from the various bits and pieces they've said, is that memory is fully virtualized, and that it pages data in or out as needed.

FingerBang

I'm going to Computex next week but I need a PC and I think I'd better go for Nvidia anyways. Honestly I don't believe Vega will put Nvidia to shame and I have waited too long.

Also, I'm expecting Vega to be much more expensive than the competition. An RX 580 is 70$ more expensive than a 1060 in Japan. I don't think adaptive sync is worth the extra money, I'm probably getting an used 980ti. Sad.

Locuza

That's not what she said:
"Frontier Edition will ship with 16GB of HBM2 towards the latter half of June. You will see the enthusiast gaming platform, the machine learning platform and the processional graphics platform very soon thereafter. And so, we will be launching Vega across all the market segments over the next couple of months. "
https://streamable.com/9p5fo
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/6cpb3g/rx_vega_to_be_released_shortly_after_vega_fe_not/

PFD

Wasn't there supposed to be a reveal today? Or am I confused?

It's tonight

t1496196000z1.png

Getting a hold of an X70/X80 card right now of any kind is impossible. Those miners, If you have one and don't plan to use it to mine, sell that sucker.

Excited for the reveal.

Top Bottom