• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD Ryzen Thread: Affordable Core Act

Toe-Knee

Does anyone have any experience with steam streaming and 1600/1700x? My current setup is showing its age when streaming certain titles.. Always had Intel systems but great steam in home streaming perf would make me take a good look at a AMD CPU!

Yes. I use the 1600 and I do most of my gaming on the steam link as I don't like gaming at my desk.

I haven't had a single issue.

Arex

Asrock has finally also up the X370 Gaming ITX page

http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/Fatal1ty X370 Gaming-ITXac/

2JQouT2.png

I'm still picking between this and the Gigabyte, so far for me Asrock has:
- X370 chipset (better overclocking support? probably more expensive)
- Less USB ports (only 6, 2 USB 2.0, 3 USB 3.0 type A, 1 3.0 type C)
- No USB 3.1
- Intel gigabit LAN (faster?)
- Supports 3466+ mhz RAM OC(?)
- Friendlier layout

vs Gigabyte's:
- B350 chipset (most likely cheaper)
- Lots more USB ports (8 ports, 2 USB 2.0, 4 USB 3.0, 2 USB 3.1 (all type A))
- Realtek gigabit LAN (slower?)
- RGB LED (I don't really care much, but still, a feature)
- Weird layout

Anyone familiar with both brand's UEFI/BIOS, general supports and reliability? How do they compare? I've only used MSI before.

Anyway I'll probably pick whichever come out first lol

kuYuri

·feist·;242007654 said:
While this is true and a great option, we should all remember how limited Microcenter even within the only (??) country it is available. For any US GAF members the Walmart offer is a good option for anyone who can't get to MC for their in-store only deals. Not sure if the Walmart deal may apply in any other country they operate in.

Oh absolutely. MC is still niche unfortunately.

Another alternative is to keep an eye on sites like Slickdeals cause often certain retailers on Ebay will have good sale prices on Ryzen CPUs.

Buggy Loop

2JQouT2.png

- No USB 3.1
- Friendlier layout

vs Gigabyte's:
- Weird layout

Anyone familiar with both brand's UEFI/BIOS, general supports and reliability? How do they compare? I've only used MSI before.

Honestly, I still don't understand the difference in ITX format between the X370 and B350 in ASRock's case. Specs are a 100% match. BIOS difference for overclocking (which it should not)?

Is anyone able to tell nowadays the difference between Realtek and Intel LAN? I feel it's a silly thing to consider, but i'm curious myself as i'm hesitating between Gigabyte's AB350N & ASRock B350 itx.

Btw, ASRock's X370 ITX is estimated by NCIX @ 204.22 USD, ~90$ more expensive than estimated price of Gigabyte's.

Arex

Honestly, I still don't understand the difference in ITX format between the X370 and B350 in ASRock's case. Specs are a 100% match. BIOS difference for overclocking (which it should not)?

Is anyone able to tell nowadays the difference between Realtek and Intel LAN? I feel it's a silly thing to consider, but i'm curious myself as i'm hesitating between Gigabyte's AB350N & ASRock B350 itx.

Btw, ASRock's X370 ITX is estimated by NCIX @ 204.22 USD, ~90$ more expensive than estimated price of Gigabyte's.

yeah, I flipped between their photos and the only difference I notice was the X370 vs B350 text lol.

Also I read on SFF forums that those price might be CAD. But if it does end up twice the price then it's no brainer, I'll just go Gigabyte.

Buggy Loop

Another question i have

ASRock has Sound blaster cinema 3. What is this, is it worth it and would it even pass through the video card's HDMI output to home theater receiver? (HTPC)

dr_rus

Nah, even for Nvidia.

However, I don't know how those considerations change when using HEVC encoding, but most streaming endpoints still only work with h.264

Nope, NVENC is on par or even better than x264 these days:
Thoughts?
Personally I think NVENC is the best encoding method out of the ones I have available.

QuickSync on a newer CPU might be equal or better to NVENC but since I only have Sandy Bridge I can't test that. x264 veryfast and NVENC seem to be pretty close quality wise but it seems to me like NVENC has the slight edge. In some images the NVENC looks better, and in some x264 veryfast looks better, but the CPU usage makes it impractical for me.
https://linustechtips.com/main/topi...ync-vs-x264-for-streaming-quality-comparison/

There were more tests recently and all of them show more or less the same results.

No. Your fanboy shows.

NVENC sucks ass compared to software x264. It's even less configurable than the AMD part ffs.

There are certainly fanboys here and I know their nicknames.

NeOak

Nope, NVENC is on par or even better than x264 these days:

https://linustechtips.com/main/topi...ync-vs-x264-for-streaming-quality-comparison/

There were more tests recently and all of them show more or less the same results.

There are certainly fanboys here and I know their nicknames.

You found the one guy that says this, Yet ask in the OBS forums, reddit, and many more and everyone will tell you to avoid NVENC unless you can't spare the CPU.

But sure, let's go with the guy. He even says

Personally I think NVENC is the best encoding method out of the ones I have available.

QuickSync on a newer CPU might be equal or better to NVENC but since I only have Sandy Bridge I can't test that. x264 veryfast and NVENC seem to be pretty close quality wise but it seems to me like NVENC has the slight edge. In some images the NVENC looks better, and in some x264 veryfast looks better, but the CPU usage makes it impractical for me.

Which is based on his use case that he can't spare the CPU use. Also, x264veryfast has a small CPU hit these days with 720p 60fps. And that's on a 2500k.

Then continues with:

If the 1700X can do 30 FPS encoding with the "faster" preset, and play a game at the same time remains to be seen, but if it does it should have a slight edge in terms of quality over NVENC. It does not appear to be a large lead, but a lead nonetheless.

NVENC still breaks down when there is fast movement, and you don't want to look pixelated when you are trying to make money off twitch.

So for casual streaming of my Indie game, NVENC works. Anything that requires quality at all times with a fixed bitrate? No.

But sure, I'm the fanboy. Let me go and wipe my tears with the 980 Ti and 1070 I use with the less options I can set on OBS for NVENC, which I use because I have to, vs the AMD VCE port that I used with my 7970.

dr_rus

You found the one guy that says this, Yet ask in the OBS forums, reddit, and many more and everyone will tell you to avoid NVENC unless you can't spare the CPU.

But sure, let's go with the guy. He even says

Which is based on his use case. Also, x264veryfast has a small CPU hit these days with 720p 60fps. And that's on a 2500k.
So? His use case is exactly the use case of a game streaming, where you try to avoid performance hits. Offline encoding will certainly be better in both quality and resulting size but this isn't what is discussed here.

Note that most comparisons where s/w encoding comes out first in quality and/or size are done in an offline fashion, where encoding time doesn't matter much.

Then continues with:

NVENC still breaks down when there is fast movement, and you don't want to look pixelated when you are trying to make money off twitch.

So for casual streaming of my Indie game, NVENC works. Anything that requires quality at all times with a fixed bitrate? No.

But sure, I'm the fanboy. Let me go and wipe my tears with the 980 Ti and 1070 I use with the less options I can set on OBS for NVENC, which I use because I have to, vs the AMD VCE port that I used with my 7970.

NVENC has better stability in motion than either x264 or what is available for HEVC CPU encoding right now when you're looking at streaming use cases. Feel free to test it out yourself - if you dare. Maybe then you won't have to listen to what someone else is saying on some forums.

When you're in denial, you sure do.

I'm certainly not the one who's in denial here.

NeOak

So? His use case is exactly the use case of a game streaming, where you try to avoid performance hits. Offline encoding will certainly be better in both quality and resulting size but this isn't what is discussed here.

Note that most comparisons where s/w encoding comes out first in quality and/or size are done in an offline fashion, where encoding time doesn't matter much.

NVENC has better stability in motion than either x264 or what is available for HEVC CPU encoding right now when you're looking at streaming use cases. Feel free to test it out yourself - if you dare. Maybe then you won't have to listen to what someone else is saying on some forums.

I'm certainly not the one who's in denial here.

I'll give it a test against x264. I hope it has improved. But what I get from my 1070 is what I used to get from using OBS VCE with my 7970. That card is dead now, so I can't compare. I do miss the settings that were exposed by the AMD driver though.

Your argument of AMD GPUs being an issue is wrong though. I used one. I had no quality problems with the 7970 at 720p 60fps.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
·feist·;241924455 said:
Which reminds me: if anybody here does arch-tuned gcc builds on ryzen - give corei7 and corei7-avx a try.

Kayant

2JQouT2.png

- No USB 3.1
- Friendlier layout

vs Gigabyte's:
- Weird layout

Asrock should also have a B350 variant of this with virtually no difference at least from what was shown where these boards where announced. The recent shit storm with EOL their <4m X370 Gaming K4 has put me off their brand a bit which is a shame as the board has some nice features.

dr_rus

I'll give it a test against x264. I hope it has improved. But what I get from my 1070 is what I used to get from using OBS VCE with my 7970. That card is dead now, so I can't compare. I do miss the settings that were exposed by the AMD driver though.

Your argument of AMD GPUs being an issue is wrong though. I used one. I had no quality problems with the 7970 at 720p 60fps.

Again, in recent test I've seen the quality of AMD's ReLive encoding was certainly worse than that of NVENC or x264 when used for streaming. In this test NVENC was comparable to x264. In other tests people get even better quality out of NVENC - it all depends on how much CPU performance you're able to spend on s/w encoding obviously. I just spent some time trying to find this recent benchmark I saw but unfortunately I read too many benchmarks every day and just can't remember where it was published - Google doesn't help either.

So my understanding right now is that you should avoid GPU encoding on AMD and use it on NV unless you have enough CPU power to spare (i.e. you have an 8-core Ryzen) in which case a properly setup s/w encoding will likely give you better results with similar or even less performance hit.

dr_rus

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Try quoting everything I write next time instead of cutting pieces out for your own agenda.

You said it.

Yes, that's what I've said. And you've said this:

Depends on how fussy you are about quality. GPU based solutions are notably inferior to CPU based ones (plus the latter allows better configurability).

So "notably inferior" is "almost on par"?

tuxfool

Banned
So "notably inferior" is "almost on par"?

Yes. You can notice it is inferior. It *is* notable, worth noting. It depends on how tolerant you are to macroblocking. In addition to that with x264 beyond the presets, you have a lot more knobs to tune to your particular quality settings, so if you stream a certain kind of game with limited bandwith you have the option to optimize.

Dicktatorship

I was going to upgrade to a AMD FX-8350, but would it be worth it in an immediate boost to performance (and not just future proofing) to upgrade to a Ryze CPU today? I'd have to get a new motherboard too, so if I'm not going to get bottle necked for another year or so I'd rather wait.

telasoman

We are talking CPU here...... Why bring AMD GPU?

Fan boys gonna fan boy.

In CPU news, I've always been an Intel Fan Boy, but just ordered a 1700x. I'll be putting it in a closed loop cooling system and am excited to see how it runs.

The i9's price for performance have soured me a bit on them this generation.

Hope I have as good of an experience as most others are having with Ryzen.

Dicktatorship

Fan boys gonna fan boy.

I don't get fan boys, man. You pay money for a product, it doesn't need your loyalty. It's an inanimate fucking object. The people who make them don't need your kind thoughts or prayers either, they need your money. The consumer is the one here who should be getting fan boy'd by companies.

Saro

Im looking to build a ryzen pc and I'm stumped on which cpu and Mobo to get. It would most be for streaming Video editing and other production software.

I'm looking at the 1800X but I don't know if I should get it over the 1700X.

For the Mobo, I've been looking at this thread and from what I've gathered, I want an ASRock mobo that has USB C.

Any suggestions?

Oh and a good cooler for the CPU.

telasoman

Im looking to build a ryzen pc and I'm stumped on which cpu and Mobo to get. It would most be for streaming Video editing and other production software.

I'm looking at the 1800X but I don't know if I should get it over the 1700X.

For the Mobo, I've been looking at this thread and from what I've gathered, I want an ASRock mobo that has USB C.

Any suggestions?

Oh and a good cooler for the CPU.

The 1800x are on sale today at various places for $420 USD. If you plan on keeping everything at stock clock/voltage and want max performance its a good deal. If you get a decent cooler on the 1700x, and are willing to OC a little bit, you'd probably be better off with the 1700x or 1700.

At least thats what I've gathered from everywhere thus far.

I've always had great luck with Asrock. I went with this board for mine today. Granted mine is for gaming primarily with the other stuff on the side.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157759

Have you watched it? He's saying that NVENC is almost on par with x264 several times there.

And he's testing an 8C Ryzen there which obviously have enough CPU power to provide high quality encode at the same performance loss levels.
In the video he rates NVENC with a C-

Ryzen x264 got an A (faster) and B (very fast)

And if you watch the video, there's a very clear difference in dropped frames on NVENC.

You should watch the video.

For perspective, NVENC is rated closer to the worst performer than it is to Ryzen in this test. C- is closer to F than it is to A.

dr_rus

In the video he rates NVENC with a C-

Ryzen x264 got an A (faster) and B (very fast)

And if you watch the video, there's a very clear difference in dropped frames on NVENC.

You should watch the video.

For perspective, NVENC is rated closer to the worst performer than it is to Ryzen in this test. C- is closer to F than it is to A.

Again, read what I've already said. If you dare. Or you can join the usual group of complete non-fanboys.

Azzurri

Does Asus not make a mATX for the Ryzen?

Also, what's the difference between ryzen 5 and Threadripper, is it just the extreme edition like how Intel does with the -E

Kayant

Also, what's the difference between ryzen 5 and Threadripper, is it just the extreme edition like how Intel does with the -E
They do although they are not feature rich compared to other boards from other vendors.

Yh basically. Ryzen line = <8 cores. Threadripper = >8 to 16 cores. Plus other things like increased PCI-E lanes and Quad channel ram.

https://www.asus.com/uk/Motherboards/AMD-platform-Products/

Use the filter to select mATX.

Datschge

I was going to upgrade to a AMD FX-8350, but would it be worth it in an immediate boost to performance (and not just future proofing) to upgrade to a Ryze CPU today? I'd have to get a new motherboard too, so if I'm not going to get bottle necked for another year or so I'd rather wait.
The FX-8350 is at best comparable to the worst currently available Ryzen, Ryzen 5 1400 (which has plenty room for overclocking). Everything above that is a clear improvement over the FX-8350.

Ryzen 5 are 4 and 6 core chips, Threadripper will feature up to 16 cores/32 threads. Technically the separation is between the amount of dies, one die has up to 8 cores/16 threads, Ryzen 5/7 contains one die, Threadripper two dies, and the server chip Epyc has four dies.

Arex

I think all the major companies do make Ryzen mATX boards, but I can't understand why none of them use the X370 chipset :\ even the ITX boards use X370 lol

Also, anyone using the 1700 overclocked with Wraith Spire on smaller ITX/mATX case? I'm wondering if it'll provide enough cooling.

Kayant

I think all the major companies do make Ryzen mATX boards, but I can't understand why none of them use the X370 chipset :\ even the ITX boards use X370 lol

Also, anyone using the 1700 overclocked with Wraith Spire on smaller ITX/mATX case? I'm wondering if it'll provide enough cooling.
Ryzen runs cool so it should be fine given that a Wraith Spire can handle 1.3v fairly well.

What would be the best Ryzen CPU to couple with a 1070 to avoid bottlenecks? Also how big of an upgrade would said CPU be to an i5-2500k for gaming? Any help would be appreciated. &#128077;

Mr Swine

Banned
What would be the best Ryzen CPU to couple with a 1070 to avoid bottlenecks? Also how big of an upgrade would said CPU be to an i5-2500k for gaming? Any help would be appreciated. &#128077;

Well it's a very big leap in games and apps that are multithreaded and singlethreaded it's a big leap I would say

1600(X) if you want longevity, especially if you play Frostbite engine games. They like the extra threads.

Top Bottom