• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD Ryzen Thread: Affordable Core Act

Scotch

https://media.giphy.com/media/3o6UBpHgaXFDNAuttm/giphy.gif

Damn it, every release is the same thing, we get excited and it is a disappointment.
The amount of disappointment is directly proportional to how excited you get by rumors.

This is a very good step up for AMD. They're competitive again.

Durante

You're forgetting to take the twice more CPU cores aspect of Ryzen into consideration here. The fact that 7700K is somewhat faster right now in modern games even when running GPU limited doesn't mean that this will still be the case tomorrow on faster GPUs as future games may take a much better advantage of Ryzen's 8 cores and Ryzen will get ahead.

Durante posted the WD2 result already:

ryzen_percentile_wd29ok2s.png

This is a sign of things to come.
Yeah, I think WD2 has pretty good predictive power.

That said, a 6800k might be a better deal at the gaming enthusiast level, both for current and future games, if you take OC potential into account.

The amount of disappointment is directly proportional to how excited you get by rumors.

This is a very good step up for AMD. They're competitive again.
I agree. People would be much less disappointed if they just stopped listening to the wccftechs and semiaccurates of the world.

There's also a non OC version vs OC'd 1800x. Only 400mhz difference but a massive performance gap. Or even the stock 7600k vs the OC'd 1800x. And it's a game that scales well on cores&threads as you can see.

That's because differences in frequency are more noticeable at lower frequencies afaik.

In any case, this discussion is like looking at this image:

and saying that a 6900k or 6950x is a worse CPU than a 7700k, or that a 5820k is bad for gaming.

They are different CPUs for different purposes. The fact is that, for a low pricepoint, you can have an 8-core CPU at 4 GHz with decent temperatures and power consumption, which will give you massive advantages in some workloads, while being slightly slower at gaming, but still have very decent and reasonable performance.

LordOfChaos

Yup yup. Even if Ryzen isn't all someone expected, it's still going to be a great thing. Bulldozer was just an ill thought out architecture where a modest i3 could roll 8 of its 'cores' 90% of the time. Ryzen, even if a step behind Intel, will still bring them to being more competitive than they have in a decade and a half.

With this evolutionary convergence, I expect AMD and Intel both to enter/stay in the slow gains phase (until we're past silicon), so they'll stay competitive and Intel isn't going to magically pull 50% more IPC any time soon.

TGMIII

Sounds like a good option for people who have Sandy and Ivy Bridges.

For gaming it still seems like the 7700k is the better choice coming from either of those. In the UK the 1700 is roughly the same price as the 7700k. I suppose Ryzen 5 might fare better assuming the clocks are higher but they're not releasing until sometime in Q2.

I'd assume that Ryzen 7 would eventually outperform Kabylake in games in the long run but is that really going to happen in a quick enough period of time where you won't already be thinking about upgrading? For anything other than pure gaming, Ryzen 7 is a no brainer though and it's good to see them finally back after the mess that Bulldozer was.

I've been itching to move away from my 2500k for a while now and pushing 120hz on it is starting to show its age.

Steel

Banned
For gaming it still seems like the 7700k is the better choice coming from either of those. In the UK the 1700 is roughly the same price as the 7700k. I suppose Ryzen 5 might fare better assuming the clocks are higher but they're not releasing until sometime in Q2.

I'd assume that Ryzen 7 would eventually outperform Kabylake in games in the long run but is that really going to happen in a quick enough period of time where you won't already be thinking about upgrading? For anything other than pure gaming, Ryzen 7 is a no brainer though and it's good to see them finally back after the mess that Bulldozer was.

I've been itching to move away from my 2500k for a while now and pushing 120hz on it is starting to show its age.

Even if Ryzen 5 performs about the same performance-wise, it'd still be over a hundred dollars cheaper than what it competes with.

mephixto

Banned
It's AMD and people should know already to not hype thing and keep feet on the floor.

Ryzen isn't the second coming but it's step in the right direction, hope to see AMD keep improving with Zen pressure Intel even more.

dr_rus

That said, a 6800k might be a better deal at the gaming enthusiast level, both for current and future games, if you take OC potential into account.
Well, if we're talking about overclocking then 1700 OC will likely be a better option than 6800K OC. It's 25% cheaper and have two more CPU cores, it's also seems to be the better overclocker out of the whole Ryzen 7 family.

CryptiK

AMD Hype Cycle complete. We have reached the disappointment stage.

The benefit how ever is Intel prices will come down.

Akoi

Not sure if AMD priced there right if this is how it performs... Like if the 1800X was $100-150 cheaper it would be flying off the shelves.. Especially for gamers.

$500 is too much for me if it performs like this on games, I wonder how the 1700 fares..

Looks like I will be holding onto this 5820K for years to come.. Sadface..

They are different CPUs for different purposes. The fact is that, for a low pricepoint, you can have an 8-core CPU at 4 GHz with decent temperatures and power consumption, which will give you massive advantages in some workloads, while being slightly slower at gaming, but still have very decent and reasonable performance.

Yup. This is exactly what I was hoping for, and AMD delivered on that front.

The 6 and 4 cores should OC better right? Seems temp is the issue so fewer cores should mean lower temps. Might not beat Intel, but might close the gap.

Any reviews with simulated Ryzen 3/5 (i.e. disabled cores)?

Good idea. I want to see this as well.

~Cross~

It really is the same fucking cycle over and over again.

An average consumer shouldn't be getting these chips unless they are editing videos on a smaller budget. Outside of that, there absolutely no reason to get any of these AMD chips other than purposely getting worse performance for the sake of giving money to someone other than intel.

These chips aren't competitive for gamers.

napata

I agree. People would be much less disappointed if they just stopped listening to the wccftechs and semiaccurates of the world.

What could explain the difference in results between gamersnexus and computerbase. Location of testing?

Gamersnexus shows a very different picture with a stock 7700k without HT beating an overclocked 1800x. I don't really understand how there could be such a massive difference in the same game.

ryzen-r7-1800x-bench-wd2.png

Steel

Banned
Not sure if AMD priced there right if this is how it performs... Like if the 1800X was $100 cheaper it would be flying off the shelves..

They weren't targeting these at gaming(8 cores). These are competing with intels $1000 processors. The 1600x will probably perform better for gaming purposes and it'll be $260.

kamspy

Gamers Nexus noted that disabling SMT improves performance in some games at best, and at worst it's even.

Has anyone found a workload that SMT improves?

vewn

The multi-threaded results are really impressive, time to switch out that old 2700k, although I'm curious about how Intel will handle this. Will their next consumer CPUs be 6c/12t or will they slash the prosumer i7 prices... amazing times ahead.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I don't see myself buying an 1800X but this does make AMD competitive again.
To me what I see as being the biggest plus is that it opens the door to optimization beyond four cores, which is something that is badly needed.

ethomaz

Banned
Well it was not what the hype of few weeks made us expect.

But it is a solid launch and the best part? The price are really competitive... of course it is not a Intel killer like K8 (Intel still ahead in IPC terms) but it did close a enormous gap in multi-core performance... game performance is a bit sad but well nothing can be perfect in everything.

Great job AMD.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
The 1700x and 1800x appear to perform minimally different.
My guess would be we'll really need proper cooling solutions to see 1800x shine, as the stock clock delta of 200MHz is indeed nothing major.

Gamers Nexus noted that disabling SMT improves performance in some games at best, and at worst it's even.

Has anyone found a workload that SMT improves?
Plenty of parallel workloads that SMT improves, normally in the 10-15% range.

TGMIII

Even if Ryzen 5 performs about the same performance-wise, it'd still be over a hundred dollars cheaper than what it competes with.

Possibly. Unless you want to build within the next few weeks, waiting for Ryzen 5 seems like a smart decision.

No one should be disappointed in how Ryzen is performing, people correctly assumed how it was going to turn out months ago. If you need a workstation with more cores/threads then AMD are blowing Intel out of the water when it comes to price performance but for the moment they're still behind on single thread performance which for now is what will affect game performance.

If you're a streamer or your PC is multi-purpose then AMD just handed you a CPU that outperforms a $1000 CPU on most tasks for half the price.

Marlenus

What could explain the difference in results between gamersnexus and computerbase. Location of testing?

Gamersnexus shows a very different picture with a stock 7700k without HT beating an overclocked 1800x. I don't really understand how there could be such a massive difference in the same game.

Could be different motherboard BIOS or different memory settings.

It's a new platform as well as a new CPU so some of these issues could have nothing to do with the CPU and be entirely down to motherboard firmware.

ethomaz

Banned

It was clear no CPU can live the hype people created in the previous threads based in the "leaks".

AMD did a great job.

Benchmarks are legit all over the place.

Just watched Joker's review of the R7 1700 matching up to a 5GHz 7700k in gaming performance but an 1800X is struggling to match a 7350k in some games.

Something is going on :S

I only trust gaming nexus for reviews they do a great job. That sniper elite demo. lmao AMD.
very disappointing.
6600k master race.

Redmoon

The 6 and 4 cores should OC better right? Seems temp is the issue so fewer cores should mean lower temps. Might not beat Intel, but might close the gap.

Good idea. I want to see this as well.

In theory, yes. Less cores to overclock means less heat/power, and less of a chance at getting a bad core holding you back.

In terms of the 8 cored chips, I expect the average OC to be higher than these reviews, as it's all a lottery, new bios vers, more mature chips. With good cooling, 4.2 avg with 4.3/4.4 doable on a good chip at some point I'd say. Roughly the same speeds as the 6900k.

Akoi

They weren't targeting these at gaming(8 cores). These are competing with intels $1000 processors. The 1600x will probably perform better for gaming purposes and it'll be $260.

Let's hope you are correct. I hope their lower core count chips overclock well..

CryptiK

It was clear no CPU can live the hype people created in the previous threads based in the "leaks".

AMD did a great job.
I was in the camp knowing it wouldnt be a great gaming chip for the price.

And watch all the hype start again with their next wave.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels

Nope, we've already proceeded to the "[Intel/Nvidia] may be better now, but later on down the line once games make better use of [Vulkan/Mantle/DX12/more cores] then it's gonna be a different story!" stage.

I'm looking forward to the "Gentoo Linux compiled for this architecture runs amazingly fast" stage.

Thraktor

The performance per dollar of the 1700 (and per Watt) is pretty incredible for workstation tasks like rendering. I set up a small distributed rendering system for an architectural company a year or two ago, and the cost per node (for equivalent performance) was probably about double what you'd pay now for a 1700 build with a cheap B350 mobo.

Engell

look like there is something strange with computerbase.de results for the 7700K, lookin at their benchmarks vs other sites the Ryzen scores almost identical to other sites, but their 7700K seems a bit off. (but just guessing here)

El Txou

Hello everyone,

I am relatively new to PC gaming (and Gaf) and I was wondering if the discrepancies between the regular pc benchmarks, which show an incredible performance for the 1800x for the price, and the gaming benchmarks, which are a little baffling considering the single and multicore benchmarks, could be related to some form of optimization? Quad Cores have been the norm for gaming PCs, considering intel has dominated the market, could future newer games invest and take advantage of the additional cores and therefore give much better results? Maybe the 1800x is a better future proof chip for a new PC? I am just looking for insight, and any will be appreciated. Oh and it is great to be part of the forum and being able to ask this kind of questions.

Great day to you all.

strata8

That's indeed impressive but the problem is that in most games, Kaby Lake suitably keeps up for 2/3 the price again.

Right, but we knew that already. Kaby Lake was always going to be better for the majority of games - it has a >10% clockspeed advantage and Ryzen's extra cores (which you're paying for) don't matter if they're not used.

Yeah, this could be a big win in enterprise. Like if I was buying a bunch of systems that needed good multithreading I'm buying RYZEN and saving a lot of dough.

Paragon

I wish I had been wrong about this, but I saw it coming a mile away.
Definitely not a CPU to buy for gaming - and I don't think that anyone should expect the hex-cores to perform any better.
Seems like great value for certain types of workload that benefits from all 8 cores and is suited to their architecture though.

Well, something is clearly wrong with Ryzen at 1080p.
Well lower resolutions are where the CPU matters most in gaming, since you're less likely to introduce a GPU bottleneck.
The only thing increasing resolution does is compress the differences between CPUs because you're now running a GPU-bound test instead of a CPU-bound test.
That's why all CPU testing should be done at 1080p or lower. I would use 720p to ensure that the GPU never hits 100% load.

Wow, pretty surprised to see the 5775C, a 3.3/3.7 GHz 4C/8T processor beat Ryzen in all those gaming tests.
If I recall correctly, those CPUs do particularly well in certain games/applications due to the 128MB of eDRAM on-board for the iGPU, which the CPU can use as a large L4 cache.
Unfortunately that's the only desktop CPU Intel have released with it. Generally the high-end iGPUs with eDRAM are mobile-only chips.
People were very disappointed when Intel did not release a desktop Skylake CPU with eDRAM.
It would be very interesting to see how things would perform if Intel were to actually put that eDRAM on a high-end CPU, since the 5775C really punches above its weight in certain games/applications.
I don't care about the iGPU at all, but would pay for that cache.

Yikes, overclocking results are abysmal. I definitely thought 4.2-4.3GHz would be possible.. and it's likely not helping the game performance.
When AMD announced that XFR would only push the frequency up by 100MHz, and their demo at the press event of a water-cooled chip crashed when trying to run all cores at 4.1GHz, any hope for them being good overclockers went out the window.
Don't expect the 6-cores to be any better, as those are just 8-cores with two cores disabled; i.e. failed 8-core CPUs.

Games that don't use more than 4 threads will benefit more from the higher frequencies. Not really surprised.
I was under the impression that Ryzen dynamically adjusts clockspeed based on the workload though.
It should boost up higher if only 4 threads are being worked hard.

Indeed.
I had been waiting for these reviews before deciding between a 7700K or a 1700/X build, but now I'm thinking that waiting for that 6-core Coffee Lake CPU in 2H17 is going to be worthwhile.
Then again you could keep waiting for faster hardware forever. I really should have upgraded my 2500K to a 6700K in August 2015.

Top Bottom