• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD TressFX 3.0 at GDC 2015 - Deus Ex Universe + Dawn Engine

-SD-

Banned
EDIT:
Slides from the "Augmented Hair in Deus Ex Universe Projects – TressFX 3.0" can be downloaded from http://developer.amd.com/resources/documentation-articles/conference-presentations/

- - -

http://schedule.gdconf.com/session/...universe-projects-tressfx-30-presented-by-amd

Augmented Hair in Deus Ex Universe projects: TressFX 3.0 (Presented by AMD)

In this talk, engineers from Eidos and AMD detail the TressFX 3.0 solution used in Dawn Engine which will be the cornerstone to the development of the Deus Ex Universe projects at the studio. We show how Eidos graphics engineers built upon TressFX to break new grounds and deliver a realistic and scalable hair solution in the Dawn Engine for PC and consoles. With a focus on game requirements such as artistic control and animation support this talk will cover the practical considerations of a full TressFX pipeline, from authoring to rendering. In addition, for simulation, we address topics such as collisions, shape preservation, stretching, and wind. For rendering, we discuss how to blend strands with traditional hair meshes, antialiasing solutions, and translucency sorting techniques. We will also cover the latest TressFX 3.0 advancements from AMD, including skinning and fur support, an open source Maya plugin, and new rendering options for optimum scalability.

Takeaway

Attendees will learn what quality and performance improvements and trade-offs were made in the Dawn engine TressFX implementation that will be used in the studio's upcoming titles. They will also see what features a full TressFX pipeline needs to support for AAA game development. And they will learn the latest advancements found in TressFX 3.0.

Ac30

It looked pretty cool in TR. Does AMD have any openCL physics implementation though? That's what I've been waiting on :/ Well, more Deus Ex news here is the important part.

They've added fur support in 3.0. Hopefully the performance is good enough for more than just one character and the collision detection works better than it did when TR first released.

20141209catomega21.jpg

Locuza

It looked pretty cool in TR. Does AMD have any openCL physics implementation though? That's what I've been waiting on :/ Well, more Deus Ex news here is the important part.
AMD supports Bulletphysics, but its progress is really slow.

Can TressFX be used for beards?
Yes.

They've added fur support in 3.0. Hopefully the performance is good enough for more than just one character and the collision detection works better than it did when TR first released.
They said, they cut the rendertime in half with TressFX 2.0, so TressFX 3.0 is maybe even faster.

But I'm waiting for TressFX-"4.0" with a DX12 OIT Update.

Nzyme32

Someone should demo hair tech in a more elaborate and complex way. How about 20,000 strands of Snakes for Medusa's scalp

Volotaire

I'm not sure where the MMO comments have come from. Deus Ex Universe refers to the wider story and universe of Deus Ex. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided is DE4, which may include online persistence or other online features.

There was even this update from Eidos. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=945325

As you can imagine, the Dawn Engine will form the cornerstone for all Deus Ex Universe projects at Eidos-Montréal. Some of you have had concerns that “Universe” meant “MMO”. Rest assured, it does not. Deus Ex Universe is the name we are giving to the fictional world and the rich lore we are creating for it, which will of course include core games, as well as any other projects that will help bring the world of Deus Ex to life. We won’t go into too much detail for now, but what we envision is for our projects to have meaningful ties to one another, in order for them to strengthen and deepen your experience within this Universe.

DieH@rd

Banned
Wait, is this Deus Ex game that MMO people have been talking about?

No, there is no MMO. They are making new big RPG game, but they calling it "Universe" for now because they want to build a game that can be easily expanded with all other forms of media [other games, comics].

i-Lo

It's not an MMO.

Ah, thanks.

I am honestly surprised that this is the first time I have heard of this game on this board which is surprising given sites like ign have articles (just checked) dating back to Dec 2014; I thought it would be a big news.

Corpsepyre

Banned
TressFX...yeah, turned it off in a couple of minutes. The performance hit was massive, and I just don't care for 'incredible hair tech'. I'd rather watch a shampoo ad.

AMD best get down to announcing their new cards instead!

Ushay

No, there is no MMO. They are making new big RPG game, but they calling it "Universe" for now because they want to build a game that can be easily expanded with all other forms of media [other games, comics].

This sounds so much better, here's hoping. I loved the first and third games.

Kezen

Banned
I bloody hope not. I heard it will be a single player game with open world multiplayer 'elements' .. makes me worry a little.

It will have an online component, maybe seamless MP. I'm not worried because a SP only game does not sell enough nowadays unless it's pushed as an exclusive.

DieH@rd

Banned
TressFX...yeah, turned it off in a couple of minutes. The performance hit was massive, and I just don't care for 'incredible hair tech'. I'd rather watch a shampoo ad.

TR on PC got only v1.

v2 vas much more optimized up and was running on consoles just fine [PS4 ran almost always at 1080p60 even].

thelastword

Banned
Make it more efficient and we have a winner here AMD, the improvements sounds promising especially the AA solutions.

Freeman

Banned
FFXV needs something like this, the hair is the only thing that is off-putting, either that or they need a better shampoo.

i-Lo

Don't intend to derail the thread much, but I just read that Dawn Engine is based on the Glacier 2 Engine with which Hitman Absolution was created. Anyone know which engine DEHR used?

Don't intend to derail the thread much, but I just read that Dawn Engine is based on the Glacier 2 Engine with which Hitman Absolution was created. Anyone know which engine DEHR used?

UglyYellowFatPeople engine I think was its name.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

You don't see any merit in optimization and reducing render time?

On PS4 TRDE used 2.0 at ran at a full 1080p 60. And before anyone says variable, TRDE's 60fps is more 60fps than most console games that claim to be 60fps fullstop(cough cough bayonetta 2)

Volotaire

I think it was a modified version of the engine that ran Tomb Raider Legend.

KKRT00

Pick any rendering feature or middleware ever invented. Star Citizen is probably using it.

Probably :) But this was confirmed recently. They wont be using out of the box solution though, but they will get a Tress FX code and build their own hair solution based on it.

Top Bottom