• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD's next-gen PlayStation/Xbox chip moves closer to final version

SonGoku

Type in Gonzalo and the ID string or the previous one along with maybe APU + PS5 + Next-Gen + Xbox and whatever else.
Lots of sites that covered it and normally when something is fake it gets debunked, yet reading the various articles there doesn't seem to be any doubt at all....all of them.
That's the thing though most sites are just parroting and assume gonzalo is console.
Not saying it isn't but where is the proof?

Shin

Banned
That's the thing though most sites are just parroting and assume gonzalo is console.
Not saying it isn't but where is the proof?
If you're expecting a "hey look at me" with cherries sprinkled on top in order to believe then perhaps wait until the consoles are all revealed.

On another note, I came across this tidbit which is interesting in the way it's tied together.
Schreier is a trusted source for industry information and correctly leaked the Fallout 4 setting and game dialogue before the title was released. The Pastebin leaks support this claim and reveal even more, the PS5 could come with:

• 7-nanometer custom graphical processing unit (GPU) based on AMD’s Navi technology: 14 teraflops of power, meaning it can it can complete 14 trillion operations per second.
  • The GPU is also said to support “ray tracing” for VR, a rendering technique that can create very high degree of visual realism.
  • 7nm custom Central Processing Unit (CPU) based on AMD’s Ryzen processors with eight cores and 16 threads.
  • 4K-support with 8K upscaling, meaning if your TV supports higher resolution the system will optimize games to fit it.
  • 24 GB GDDR6 RAM and 4 GB DDR4 for the operating system.
  • 2TB of hard drive storage.
The information also lines up with a statement made by Dr. Lisa Su, the CEO of semiconductor company AMD. She told CNBC her company was partnering with Sony to help develop the PS5’s “secret sauce.” Su’s statements could very likely refer to the ray tracing GPU mentioned in the leaks.

Last edited:

SonGoku

• 7-nanometer custom graphical processing unit (GPU) based on AMD’s Navi technology: 14 teraflops of power, meaning it can it can complete 14 trillion operations per second.
  • The GPU is also said to support “ray tracing” for VR, a rendering technique that can create very high degree of visual realism.
  • 7nm custom Central Processing Unit (CPU) based on AMD’s Ryzen processors with eight cores and 16 threads.
  • 4K-support with 8K upscaling, meaning if your TV supports higher resolution the system will optimize games to fit it.
  • 24 GB GDDR6 RAM and 4 GB DDR4 for the operating system.
  • 2TB of hard drive storage.

These specs would be amazing for next gen above my own expectations. :D

Last edited:

Armorian

Banned
These specs would be amazing for next gen above my own expectations. :D

Yeap, that would be great but 20GB for games and 4GB (in 24GB GDDR6 scenario) for OS is more realistic (plus it's cheaper to use one kind of memory).

Above rumor with 2TF HDD is most possible one so far but it still sounds ~500$ at least.

Last edited:

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
Those are impressive specs but still in the realm of possibility. We are talking about a new CPU and GPU design on manufacturing process that is basically 1.5-2 generations ahead of existing chips (almost the entire industry skipped the 10nm node and went straight from 16/14/12nm to 7nm).

Very exciting if true. I’m somewhat of a PC elitist, but I would LOVE a return to the days when a new console generation could hang with high-end PC gaming.

SonGoku

Yeap, that would be great but 20GB for games and 4GB (in 24GB GDDR6 scenario) for OS is more realistic (plus it's cheaper to use one kind of memory).

Above rumor with 2TF HDD is most possible one so far but it still sounds ~500$ at least.
Yeah i agree that's my expectation actually, 4GB extra for OS is beyond what i expect
But wouldn't 4GB LPDDR4 be feasible? I mean the Pro already has 1GB LPDDR3
Very exciting if true. I’m somewhat of a PC elitist, but I would LOVE a return to the days when a new console generation could hang with high-end PC gaming.
and even if you remain pc exclusive, having a higher base spec for devs to work with translates in even better pc ports, so it benefits both console and pc gamers alike

Last edited:
Go big or go home this round

Power hungry some are.

console generation could hang with high-end PC gaming.

Wont happen, by the time PS5 comes, Turing is about two years, there will be a new gen RTX gpu's and AMD sucessor to Navi. I even doubt PS5 will match RTX 2080Ti or RTX Titan thats out for a while.
The new Radeon VII/Radeon 7 offers 16GB HBM2 @ 1TB/s at 1.8Ghz, would be a big thing for consoles if they can match that gpu. Thats not talking SLI or Crossfire.
One can get 16c/32t high clocked CPU's right now already. 32GB system ram or more aint that uncommon already now either when talking high-end systems.
2TB high speed NVME drives wont happen either in a home console.

I think you shouldnt aim to match high end pc specs, you will be dissapointed.

Watch the DF video on this. Power hungry people will be dissapointed.
Though, 14TF isnt that strange for 2020 hardware, probably mid-end by then when new GPU's arrive.

G code could be for a 'Gaming product', it doesnt have to be a console. AMD has gaming components for the desktop/laptop etc market as far im aware.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Make it as easy as possible for developers to make games for, first and foremost. I’m convinced pricing won’t matter, we see gamers invest in high end ore built PCs these days, and this could improve chances of graphical leaps.

Shin

Banned
What I find funny is that this SoC points to Ariel (Sony), it reminds me of that old rumor about Navi being made for them.
Because it makes you wonder where the Microsoft SoC is, the one with Arden in the ID just like 13F8/13F9 is Ariel in this case.

Shin

Banned
No it's the actual console

Conflicting stories all-around, but most common is 44 with 4 disabled so let's roll with that for the sake of ending this debate.
That still leaves PS4 with only 2 CU disabled yet it's the same card, RX 580 is only a refresh of RX 480 so I'm not seeing why 64 with 2 disabled wouldn't be possible since PS4 did exactly that.
The last bit is what I'm curious about since you claimed 8 but PS4 has proven that it doesn't need to be, if you're knowledable by all means explain it but if you're not then at least admit you're wrong.

The heart of the Xbox One X is a GPU that's roughly based on AMD’s GCN 4 (Polaris) architecture. It offers 40 compute units, 2560 stream processors, and 32 ROPs. For comparison, an AMD Radeon RX 480 offers 36 CUs, so the Xbox One X offers 11% more compute hardware than the RX 480. Compared to the PlayStation 4 Pro, the Xbox One X offers about 43% more shader throughput.

magnumpy

imo sony should wait a few years for PS5. make money with PS4 and its huge install base. we've already seen Playstation Pro and it was IMO underwhelming. definitely wait past 2022 or longer.

onQ123

Conflicting stories all-around, but most common is 44 with 4 disabled so let's roll with that for the sake of ending this debate.
That still leaves PS4 with only 2 CU disabled yet it's the same card, RX 580 is only a refresh of RX 480 so I'm not seeing why 64 with 2 disabled wouldn't be possible since PS4 did exactly that.
The last bit is what I'm curious about since you claimed 8 but PS4 has proven that it doesn't need to be, if you're knowledable by all means explain it but if you're not then at least admit you're wrong.

PS4 only had 2 shader arrays so when they disabled a CU for better yield it only affected 2 CUs . PS4 Pro & Xbox One X have 4 shader arrays so when they disable a CU in the shader arrays it affect 4 CUs , Vega 64 has 8 shader arrays so when one CU mess up they use the chip in the Vega 56 with one CU disabled per shader array.

Shin

Banned
That still doesn't tell me anything as to why it can't be 2 since it was the case with Polaris, Vega was 4 but Navi is neither.
Basing logic off Vega and applying that to Navi seems quite strange, there has to be some kind of design logic behind it and that's what I want to know.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
There is some middle ground, they could build in ~64-128GB of fast storage and use it as big ass cache for currently played title(s).

The issue is that if devs build around an expected data through-put and fetch-rate, then any device that the code/data can be situated must be able to support it. So essentially going faster than what an external usb3 device can push is a waste, unless its expected that whatever is supported onboard is always going to be sufficient. Which given that I'd expect data-sizes to be much larger than they are in this gen is not going to take very many titles at all.

Shin

Banned
Paid article on Digitimes:
Looks like shit is about to get real since they cover Taiwanese semiconductor news closely.

They also reported that Apple will use an improved 7nm process from TSMC called N7 Pro in Q2 2019 for the A13, makes you wonder if the next-gen will pass up on the opportunity.
Since Huawei will be the "dummy" to use an evolved 7nm EUV fabrication process called N7+ (7nm | > 7nm EUV > 7nm N7+ > 7nm N7 Pro) for the upcoming Kirin 985 (or whatever it gets called).
Also things seem to be moving a lot faster internally at TSMC compared to what's on store shelves, 2 weeks ago via press release they said that they'll be ready for 5nm EUV mass production next year.

e86a749579.png

Last edited:
More than 16GB of application RAM would be insane. Imagine 32GB RAM (28GB + 4GB OS RAM). That would be bonkers. And a 14TF CPU?! Wow.

Honestly, I think that's a pipe dream. More likely to be 20GB (16+4) and 11TF.

But, as I keep saying, I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

Shin

Banned
Not putting much stock in their "exclusive sources" since they are the only ones that claimed PS5 would have a dedicated GPU.
Yet seeing Microsoft's Phil Spencer at their CES conference earlier in the year it might not be too far-fetched that they might return the favor at E3/Xbox E3.
We are all expecting AMD to be announcing all things 7nm during Computex 2019 in the last week of May, but what I've been told my exclusive sources is that AMD might touch on its next-gen Navi GPU at Computex 2019 but will instead do a full announcement at E3 2019.

E3 2019 takes place a few weeks after Computex does, with E3 2019 taking place between June 12-14 in LA. AMD launched Radeon RX Vega graphics cards in LA back in 2017 alongside the first-gen Ryzen Threadripper, but unlike Vega... Navi will be a muhc better GPU architecture and from what I'm hearing about performance it'll also be surprising.

E3 2019 is the perfect time to launch t he most exciting card in Radeon history in years, as it's a total gaming-centric event. All eyes can be on Radeon, as Navi will also be powering the two next-gen consoles in the future Xbox and PlayStation 5 families.

Skullzi found another interesting patent:
https://www.onscope.com/ipowner/en/ip/ptus/16209912.html

Last edited:
Top Bottom