• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD's next-gen PlayStation/Xbox chip moves closer to final version

vkbest

Over double the gpu power over X1X and a significantly more powerful cpu is a drastic step up in a closed box. Some games are hitting 4k/60fps with the ancient jaguar cpu. I think 1440p is low ceiling for the 60fps mode next gen, maybe 4k is too high "across the board" though, but 1440p is too low, even with higher settings.

Current games could be running 4K/60fps, but next gen games will be under 4K and 30fps

SonGoku

It's not for Stadia and there's no other gaming machine or laptops AMD releases APU specifically made for so I think we can pass that as 99.9% fact.
On top of that the name "Ariel" (where EF8/8 comes in) was thrown around by another knowledgeable person: https://twitter.com/KOMACHI_ENSAKA
It all connects and nothing to debunk that this isn't the next-gen SoC, more specifically it points to PS5 as Arden (Xbox) has different ID - https://pci-ids.ucw.cz/read/PC/1022/160f
I thought amd made off the shelfs apus for sale

Romulus

Current games could be running 4K/60fps, but next gen games will be under 4K and 30fps

I believe some devs will continue the old trend of visuals and 4k, but I'm seeing alot more devs trying to give performance options, and that's considering they only have a jaguar cpu to work with, which is insanely underpowered.

Shin

Banned
Because that's what happens with console in development parts, we run 3DMark.
I think for 99.9% it is for consoles as there's nothing saying otherwise and the leaker which is a trusted and reliable source so far guessed it is as well.
On top of that when the code strong is deciphered it points to gaming or is assumed...not crazy because what else would it be if you look up how the string is made up.
Lastly are you part of AMD R&D or work for either Sony/Microsoft to make a claim that SoC's aren't ran through 3DMark or SiSoft for whatever unknown reason?

Quite the convenient opinion you posted there and practically trying to pass it as fact in the way it reads, so if you have insider knowledge kindly share.

I thought amd made off the shelfs apus for sale
They do and Apple would be at the forefront, but the parts while under the semi-custom branch aren't as customized as console SoC.
You can research what the strings for those are (incl. HP and Asus and 1 more I believe but none to this extent) by checking Tum Apisak's Twitter post history.

Last edited:

Meh3D

I think for 99.9% it is for consoles as there's nothing saying otherwise and the leaker which is a trusted and reliable source so far guessed it is as well.
On top of that when the code strong is deciphered it points to gaming or is assumed...not crazy because what else would it be if you look up how the string is made up.
Lastly are you part of AMD R&D or work for either Sony/Microsoft to make a claim that SoC's aren't rand through 3DMark for whatever unknown reason?

Quite the convenient opinion not you posted there and practically trying to pass it as fact in the way it reads, so if you have insider knowledge kindly share.

That is cute. There is nothing convenient there.

As a PC gaming fan since the 90s, the only thing with leaked 3DMark specs have been Nvidia, VoodooFx, ATI etc... video cards and as of recent, Intel/Ryzen APUs. Anyone in PC gaming can tell you that. Second, from the Gonzalo leaks they decoded the code string and highlighted the "AM4" platform.

1547888403_3dug1bk_story.jpg

Since when has any custom console part be interchangeable with a PC part? Socket compatible with a PC motherboard?

Now back to your "99.9% fact", are you an insider? etc...

Last edited:

Shin

Banned
That is cute

Alright I'll bite, you can be the "PC gaming fan", I'll be the PC builder.
AM4 in this case is Ryzen, Zen, you know the thing that's part of the APU?
As for the last bit you're having trouble reading it's called an opinion that's why I said 99.9% and I think, therefor leaving the option open that it can be something else even though it all points what I've written already.
But not before a handful of sites covered the news (previous Gonzalo leak) and what's not because they trust the aforementioned person, he's basically like a Wario64 but for all things AMD.

Last edited:

Meh3D

Alright I'll bite, you can be the "PC gaming fan", I'll be the PC builder.
AM4 in this case is Ryzen, Zen, you know the thing that's part of the APU?
As for the last bit you're having trouble reading it's called an opinion that's why I said 99.9% and I think, therefor leaving the option open that it can be something else even though it all points what I've written already.
But not before a handful of sites covered the news (previous Gonzalo leak) and what's not because they trust the aforementioned person, he's basically like a Wario64 but for all things AMD.

The attitude is not necessary . Second, it's quite a head twist to say something is "99.9 % fact" and then turn around and say "it's an opinion." I never thought I would have to explain or argue how 3DMark leaks are common in PC gaming space.

I'm just going to say, I disagree.

Last edited:

Tarin02543

What I would like to see in the next generation of consoles is specialized hardware dedicated to specific tasks.

For example a chip intended solely for physics calculations.

A specialized sound chip

etc.

I wondered if upcoming Surface products might switch to using AMD APU's now that they can offer a decent CPU with them. Combine them with the next Xbox chip and there is potential for MS to get a good bulk buy deal. Plus good compatibility across their product range.

Shin

Banned
What I would like to see in the next generation of consoles is specialized hardware dedicated to specific tasks.

A specialized sound chip

etc.
Microsoft owns Havoc now and there's a patent for dedicated psychics engine/hardware.
Sony bought Audiokinetic (WWise) earlier year so perhaps your wish will come true on both.

Last edited:

vkbest

I believe some devs will continue the old trend of visuals and 4k, but I'm seeing alot more devs trying to give performance options, and that's considering they only have a jaguar cpu to work with, which is insanely underpowered.

I can’t believe Jaguar is the unique reason because we don’t have more games with performance options. Example, FF XII remaster, Spyro or crash bandicoot trilogy. PS2 CPU was stronger than Jaguar too?

I have a reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaally hard time believing a 14TF machine is coming... even at $499. I'd love to be proven wrong though.

I can’t believe Jaguar is the unique reason because we don’t have more games with performance options. Example, FF XII remaster, Spyro or crash bandicoot trilogy. PS2 CPU was stronger than Jaguar too?
For starters the amount of geometry that needs to be drawn is vastly more than in the ps2 days, which hits cpu perf.

Last gen 30fps became extremely common, and jaguar is such a small leap over 360, relatively, that that leap is almost completely eaten up by the extra draw calls/draw distance needed for the generational visual leap that there was hardly any room for 60fps to become more common. Still, 60fps is at least more common than it was last gen.

Romulus

It's not the unique reason and that's not what I said. The trend is changing somewhat, consoles are getting more options for performance, and that's considering the Jaguar is very limited. Next generation there seems to be more of a focus on cpu tech, this is good.

To your other point, I really dislike when people use the word "stronger" when referring to technology. No, Jaguar is more powerful than the PS2's cpu. Of course it is. FAR more. That's not the point though, at all. When paired with much higher resolutions, effects, etc than the PS2's versions, the Jaguar cpu is further taxed. For its time, the PS2 cpu was superior to what we have now in consoles. This is considering they're not running any sort of emulator software as well, which even further taxes hardware.

Last edited:

onQ123

2 disabled for yields which is not new and even if we +- that the 1.8 or 18 is still in the ID string.

But if it's 64 CU's it would be 8 disabled for yields not 2 , PS4 was 20 CUs with 2 disabled & PS4 pro was 40 with 4 disabled , Vega 56 was basically Vega 64 with 8 disabled for higher yields .

The Radeon RX Vega 56 is a high-end graphics card by AMD, launched in August 2017. Built on the 14 nm process, and based on the Vega 10 graphics processor, in its Vega 10 XL variant, the card supports DirectX 12.0. The Vega 10 graphics processor is a large chip with a die area of 495 mm² and 12,500 million transistors. Unlike the fully unlocked Radeon RX Vega 64, which uses the same GPU but has all 4096 shaders enabled, AMD has disabled some shading units on the Radeon RX Vega 56 to reach the product's target shader count. It features 3584 shading units, 224 texture mapping units and 64 ROPs. AMD has placed 8,192 MB HBM2 memory on the card, which are connected using a 2048-bit memory interface. The GPU is operating at a frequency of 1138 MHz, which can be boosted up to 1474 MHz, memory is running at 800 MHz.
Being a dual-slot card, the AMD Radeon RX Vega 56 draws power from 2x 8-pin power connectors, with power draw rated at 210 W maximum. Display outputs include: 1x HDMI, 3x DisplayPort. Radeon RX Vega 56 is connected to the rest of the system using a PCI-Express 3.0 x16 interface. The card measures 267 mm in length, and features a dual-slot cooling solution. Its price at launch was 399 US Dollars.

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/radeon-rx-vega-56.c2993

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Hmmmm, PS4 Pro is 4.2TF at $400, Xbox One X is 6TF at $500 and yet, some believe that we'll get 14TF in addition to more RAM and a far better CPU for $500???? Yeah right. Good luck with that.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
It sounds pretty good. I will be very happy with 1440p @ locked 60fps as the baseline. We can wait for a Pro version a few years down the line with PSVR2 and 4K @ 60fps.

Shin

Banned
But if it's 64 CU's it would be 8 disabled for yields
I don't think this is a point anyone can say with certainty as all CU's are enabled on Vega 64 I believe and Scorpio is based on RX 580 (36+4).
Unless CU's are always laid out in groups of 4, which would bring us back to why PS4 had only 2 disabled and why 16 x 4 = 64 with 1 disabled in 2 arrays wouldn't work.
So I'd like to know as I'm the curious and eager to learn type as to how you came to the conclusion that it has to be 8, I can't say I've ever read anything that supports your wording.

scorpio_engine_die_shot_%28annotated%29.png

Last edited:

Thedtrain

Hmmmm, PS4 Pro is 4.2TF at $400, Xbox One X is 6TF at $500 and yet, some believe that we'll get 14TF in addition to more RAM and a far better CPU for $500???? Yeah right. Good luck with that.
In 2010 Ford sold the Mustang GT with 315hp for like 27k
In 2011 Ford sold the Mustang GT with 410HP for like 29k

onQ123

I don't think this is a point anyone can say with certainty as all CU's are enabled on Vega 64 I believe and Scorpio is based on RX 580 (36+4).
Unless CU's are always laid out in groups of 4, which would bring us back to why PS4 had only 2 disabled and why 16 x 4 = 64 with 1 disabled in 2 arrays wouldn't work.
So I'd like to know as I'm the curious and eager to learn type as to how you came to the conclusion that it has to be 8, I can't say I've ever read anything that supports your wording.

scorpio_engine_die_shot_%28annotated%29.png

Xbox One X is also 44 CUs with 4 disable they seem to always keep the Shader arrays even so if it's 2 shader arrays it will be 2 disable but if it's 8 shader arrays like in the vega 64 chips when they disable CUs it will be 8 disabled they are not going to disable 2 CUs & have 6 Shader arrays with 8 CUs while 2 of them only have 7 working CUs.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I don't see a 14TF machine either.

Jason Schreier commented on a thread saying Stadia was 10.7 and Sony and Xbox were "aiming" to beat that.

If 14 tf had been tossed around by his insiders I doubt he would have said aiming.

I am expecting a 11 to 12 TF machine at best.

CyberPanda

Banned

Jason Schreier commented on a thread saying Stadia was 10.7 and Sony and Xbox were "aiming" to beat that.

If 14 tf had been tossed around by his insiders I doubt he would have said aiming.

Same

DanielsM

Banned

I'm suspect on a 14-15tf machine, but its not outside the range of possibilities. With Moore's Law (which is starting to come to an end, in part) that has been the general direction though - meaning you double capacity every 18 months. That range is basically the jump from PS3 (230gf) to PS4 base (1.84tf)... about a 7-8 times increase in performance. which would be right in line with this in theory.

My guess was somewhere in the 12tf range with that 14-16tf being on the high-end. To me there is no reason to go below 10tf, and limited reasons to go below 12tf. As a base machine 12tf seems like a sweet spot unless they can get a big jump from a parts provider. Go big or go home this round, this next gen is going to last a super long time, imo.

Last edited:
Sony probably gonna lose some money for manufactory costs/selling to costumers, but in the end they can:
- Sell service as always
- Highly promove 4k Bravia TVs
- Highly promove 4k resolution space market
- 8k future proof?

If I remember right Sony had the same risk move selling PS4 at launch for that price.
It’s funny how many times a statement like this is said. But yet the only console that was sold at a loss to my knowledge was the original Xbox. This is not common practice.

Three

A specialized sound chip

etc.
Why? Why not have a versatile general processor which can be used for anything?

Silver Wattle

Gold Member
If you are already expecting 14Tflops this early you are setting yourself up for disappointment.
I think it's better to set a more modest expectation, just to reduce the potential disappointment level to something acceptable.

14Tf GPU is NOT happening.

Fake

It’s funny how many times a statement like this is said. But yet the only console that was sold at a loss to my knowledge was the original Xbox. This is not common practice.
PS4 was a money loss for Sony in the release year because the PS4 hardware was expansive 'for the time' in comparison with the consumers price. The money earned from services like PSN+, digital, etc...
Today PS4 probably is more cheap to manufacture in comparison with 2015, the slim version cost less because of the material used to made the design and AMD probably got more cheap over time.
You can find more on your preference search site.

Last edited:

Armorian

Banned
So why would they go backwards from actually making a profit? It makes no sense.

It's not uncommon to start gen with slight loss on each unit sold to build userbase - they were losing hundreds of $ on every PS3. These consoles won't have any cutting edge tech in them (like Blu Ray was with strange Cell processor): x86 APU, RAM, HDD (I don't belive in SSD rumor) and optical drive (at least in one SKU) - they should be able to cram it in ~500$ box.

joe_zazen

It's not uncommon to start gen with slight loss on each unit sold to build userbase - they were losing hundreds of $ on every PS3. These consoles won't have any cutting edge tech in them (like Blu Ray was with strange Cell processor): x86 APU, RAM, HDD (I don't belive in SSD rumor) and optical drive (at least in one SKU) - they should be able to cram it in ~500$ box.

Nvme is a solid rumour, and if ms is going that way sony has to as well. Or at least there is no way i am choosing the console with 45 second load times vs the one with zero. Games built specifically for a system with nvme (which tops out at 16 gigabytes per second) will be almost load screen free. That is a console selling feature, and really the only next gen feature I care enough about to base a purchase on.

Edit my info is old. 2019 nvme is 32 gigabytes per second.

Last edited:
PS4 was a money loss for Sony in the release year because the PS4 hardware was expansive 'for the time' in comparison with the consumers price. The money earned from services like PSN+, digital, etc...
Today PS4 probably is more cheap to manufacture in comparison with 2015, the slim version cost less because of the material used to made the design and AMD probably got more cheap over time.
You can find more on your preference search site.
Makes sense, I guess. That’s more consoles than I suspected.

Armorian

Banned
Nvme is a solid rumour, and if ms is going that way sony has to as well. Or at least there is no way i am choosing the console with 45 second load times vs the one with zero. Games built specifically for a system with nvme (which tops out at 16 gigabytes per second) will be almost load screen free. That is a console selling feature, and really the only next gen feature I care enough about to base a purchase on.

Edit my info is old. 2019 nvme is 32 gigabytes per second.

NVME only would mean NO expandable storage, we would be stuck with what console comes with or buy official expensive drives.

TLZ

Banned

I can't take that guy seriously.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
If you are already expecting 14Tflops this early you are setting yourself up for disappointment.
I think it's better to set a more modest expectation, just to reduce the potential disappointment level to something acceptable.

14Tf GPU is NOT happening.
What makes the rumours even more wishy washy is the whole March or November 2020 release. That's an 8 month gap. So Sony's new system will be jam packed for a launch one year from now, or they will sit on it and sell it 8 months later? Sounds weird.

joe_zazen

NVME only would mean NO expandable storage, we would be stuck with what console comes with or buy official expensive drives.

Although clunky, you can always move games from one drive to internal nvme so the expandable storage would be for backup. Usb 3.1 is 1.2 GB/s sequential, so it wouldn’t take to long to shift even huge games around.

Silver Wattle

Gold Member
What makes the rumours even more wishy washy is the whole March or November 2020 release. That's an 8 month gap. So Sony's new system will be jam packed for a launch one year from now, or they will sit on it and sell it 8 months later? Sounds weird.
It's the exact kind of thing someone who is fabricating the information would say to hedge their claims.

Caio

i think the new Xbox could be teased at E3 this year but we won't hear more until next year/E3. unless of course microsoft are on the ball and plan to release it well before the PS5.

sony might teased the PS5 later this year or early next with a release towards the end of 2020.

more than double if the TF is anything to by? 6TF vs 14TF

it might actually manage to do 4K native in all games!

Yep, and the CPU might be 8 times more powerful, so a massive upgrade.

SonGoku

They do and Apple would be at the forefront, but the parts while under the semi-custom branch aren't as customized as console SoC.
You can research what the strings for those are (incl. HP and Asus and 1 more I believe but none to this extent) by checking Tum Apisak's Twitter post history.
Where can i get info/clues wether this gonzalo apu is semi custom or console soc?

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
People need to knock it off with the fanciful predictions of huge SSD's. Cost/benefit ratio is just not there, especially as I think the expectation will be for the new platforms to support external storage devices.

Last edited:

Shin

Banned
Where can i get info/clues wether this gonzalo apu is semi custom or console soc?
Type in Gonzalo and the ID string or the previous one along with maybe APU + PS5 + Next-Gen + Xbox and whatever else, also the G in the string (D=desktop, M=mobile, G=expected to be gaming).
Lots of sites that covered it and normally when something is fake it gets debunked, yet reading the various articles there doesn't seem to be any doubt at all....all of them.
On top of all that you'd need to sell millions or expect to in order to even get a semi-custom SoC off the ground I'd reckon meaning the choices become limited quite fast as to what it can be.

Last edited:

Armorian

Banned
People need to knock it off with the fanciful predictions of huge SSD's. Cost/benefit ratio is just not there, especially as I think the expectation will be for the new platforms to support external storage devices.

There is some middle ground, they could build in ~64-128GB of fast storage and use it as big ass cache for currently played title(s).

Last edited:
Top Bottom