• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD's TrueAudio uses Tenselica DSP cores, similar to that of Xbone's SHAPE

tipoo

Banned
Does it support the full 500 voices the One does?

Is Sony using this on the PS4 or are they using their in-house audio technology from Sony Electronics division?

I'm not sure what core they are using, but we know the PS4 supports 200 voices, while the One supports 500. Might be something else then, or maybe less cores.

Raistlin

I'm pretty sure the R9 cards (including the 280x) has it supported.

Unfortunately no :\

AMD_Volcanic_Islands_R7_R9_True_Audio_GPUs_Wide.png

Doesn't even make any sense.

Fucking AMD. -__-
I believe the other models are essentially carry overs from the 7000 series (with new cooling, clocking, etc), while those 3 cards are actually a modified, newer iteration of GCN.

marvin83

Banned
So if I buy one of these new AMD cards, I no longer will be stuck with Realtek mobo audio?

I'm not sure how the output works. I have 2x 6970's and I run an HDMI cable from one and into my receiver just fine. I'm not sure if these new card(s) will have an actual audio output (other than the HDMI port, obv.), though.

tipoo

Banned
Anyone? Does this thing support the full 500 voices the Xbone does, or is it cut down? Or built up?

StevieP

Banned
Because .. it's based on the Bonaire - 260X, just clocked much lower with 2 CUs disabled.

I havent seen anybody complain that the Xbone GPU is "last-gen", just that its weak.

Gcn 1.0 not Bonaire, is it not? - this is not the first time you've made that claim

StevieP

Banned
Elaborate?

I'm not making any claims. Microsoft have said it's a Sea Islands, rest of the specs (CU count, prim rate etc) all matches up.

Saying "Sea Islands" could mean one of many things. For example, a Cape Verde & Pitcairn rebadge.

badb0y

Gcn 1.0 not Bonaire, is it not? - this is not the first time you've made that claim

Look it up yourself Bonaire is not GCN 1.0 .

It's clearly Bonaire, AMD doesn't make any other GPU that has 14 CUs in total. Xbox One just has 2 of the 14 disabled in favor of having higher clock speed.

I thought SHAPE was for Kinect?

SHAPE is 100% for developer use, not Kinect. It's the even more powerful 4 DSP cores, particularly the 2 vector DSP cores, that are mostly for Kinect. Shape isn't a DSP. Shape is made up of six fixed function blocks which developers have full access to.

http://beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1787473&postcount=585

Yeah, hard to do, because the tensilica cores are configurable. This one is configured similarly, although there will still be differences. the 16/32 bit difference may also explain why their result is about 2x what I expected. I do know that the MS vector cores have full 32bit float vector engines, because that's what the speech pipeline uses.

As far as I know, game developers do not have access to the 4 DSP cores. They are all system managed. They have access to codec algorithms running on the cores, and full access to the fixed function hardware. Much to the audio team's chagrin, the speech team bogarted the two vector cores. I know there was some internal pressure to force the speech team to give up some of their CPU so that developers could use it, but I have no idea if anything ever materialized from that.

The audio team tried to carve off a reservation from the 2 vector cores, but he's not sure if anything ever came out of that. However, it wouldn't surprise me if as optimizations are made, devs do somehow manage to gain some access to the vector DSPs. When he says full access to the fixed function hardware, he means all of SHAPE, as that's the only part of the Xbox One audio block that is fixed function hardware. What bkilian has just cautioned people about is that devs don't have anything close to what would be full access to all the power available on that audio block, because a good chunk of it goes to Kinect, but that chunk does not include SHAPE.

StevieP

Banned
Look it up yourself Bonaire is not GCN 1.0 .

It's clearly Bonaire, AMD doesn't make any other GPU that has 14 CUs in total. Xbox One just has 2 of the 14 disabled in favor of having higher clock speed.

Bonaire, in the form of a 7790 equivalent, is more like "GCN 1.1" (or, as Anandtech put it, a slightly improved take on GCN 1.0)

nib95

Banned
SHAPE is 100% for developer use, not Kinect. It's the even more powerful 4 DSP cores, particularly the 2 vector DSP cores, that are mostly for Kinect. Shape isn't a DSP. Shape is made up of six fixed function blocks which developers have full access to.

http://beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1787473&postcount=585

The audio team tried to carve off a reservation from the 2 vector cores, but he's not sure if anything ever came out of that. However, it wouldn't surprise me if as optimizations are made, devs do somehow manage to gain some access to the vector DSPs. When he says full access to the fixed function hardware, he means all of SHAPE, as that's the only part of the Xbox One audio block that is fixed function hardware. What bkilian has just cautioned people about is that devs don't have anything close to what would be full access to all the power available on that audio block, because a good chunk of it goes to Kinect, but that chunk does not include SHAPE.

What about this post?

bkilian said:
Unfortunately, Devs only have access to a small part of it. Most of it is reserved for Kinect processing. As a bonus though, it means devs don't have to ask the question "do I have the resources to spare for adding Kinect?" like they did in the last console. Kinect is free(*). _Not_ using it is leaving processing power on the table. I hope this encourages them to be more liberal in their kinect integration this time around.

(*) For certain values of "Kinect". I believe there are some features that devs can hook in to that require memory/processing on their part. Speech is not one of them.

Bkilian's post about SHAPE

Bonaire, in the form of a 7790 equivalent, is more like "GCN 1.1" (or, as Anandtech put it, a slightly improved take on GCN 1.0)

Well, in fairness, they also had very little info to go on as AMD didn't tell them everything there was to know. For example, the 7790 is confirmed to have support for a more advanced form of Partial Resident Texture or Tier 2 PRT, which apparently none of the other GCN cards till this new lineup of cards possessed. And according to a Dave Baumann post I read a while back, he makes it sound like a variety of not so insignificant changes could be made without their necessarily being announced since GCN was always expected to be a constantly evolving and changing architecture.

The fact that this true audio stuff was apparently hidden in Bonaire this entire time is potentially another good example of just how much can be done without getting very much fan fair in the here and now when the card was announced and released.

Yes, most of it is reserved for Kinect processing, but you are missing some crucial context to that post. That post was in response to another user that directly referenced a previous post by bkilian where he told people just how powerful the entire Xbox One audio block was.

Here is the post in question where he tells people how powerful the entire xbox one audio block is.

http://beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1787287&postcount=572

Sorry, I should have said "consumer sound cards". The X1 is not a professional mixing station, it's a game console.
And the mix buffers have 128 physical buffers, but can be used with over 4000 virtual buffers per audio frame. Think of them as registers that can hold an entire audio frame. The 21369 has 32, much smaller ones. The SRC can process 512 channels per audio frame, and the XMA decoder can decode 512 channels per audio frame.

The clock speed of the audio block is twice that of a 21369, and the fixed function blocks were calculated, per the hotchips presentation, to be 18 GOPS equivalent. The 21369 is 2.4 GFLOPS. If you assume the scalar tensilica cores are about the same power per clock of a 21369, and use the 15.4 GFLOPS value for the two vector cores, you're talking 23 21369s equivalent for the whole audio block. How much did that 12 core sound card cost again? I found an 8 core one for something like $1500. Let's change my statement to "the Xbox one audio block is far more powerful than any sound card you can buy for less than or equal to the price of an entire Xbox one."

I believe you heavily underestimate the power of the X1 audio block.

All that post you referenced is saying is that, compared to all the power he just described here in the above post, yes, developers truly do only have a small part of it. The entirety of the SHAPE audio block is included in that small part. SHAPE is not packing anywhere the kind of power that those 4 DSP cores, especially the two Vector DSPs, are packing. So even with devs having full access to SHAPE, that still only constitutes but a small portion of the full power inside the entire Xbox One audio block. You seem to be taking that post in isolation while overlooking the very important context that goes with it, I'm afraid.

Bkilian made the post you reference in direct response to this post, where onq seemed to believe that all the power in the xbox one audio block just described by bkilian would somehow be fully available to developers, which it won’t be.

http://beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1787829&postcount=590

That was beautiful, can't wait to see/hear what the devs do with all this audio hardware.

So, to conclude, most of the power on the audio block isn’t available to developers, but reserved for Kinect processing, but that doesn’t include SHAPE. Shape is totally there for developers.
Bkilian made the post you linked to on the 24th of September, but just a day before, he was more specific and pointed out that as far as he was aware, devs don't have access to the 4 DSP cores, but he stated that they have full access to the fixed function hardware. SHAPE is all fixed function hardware. Six blocks of fixed function hardware, to be exact.

Bkilian gives the reason why SHAPE was created.

http://beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1764893&postcount=223

Any numbers I could give you would be irrelevant. Games are not about FLOPS. SHAPE was created in order to give developers more flexibility in where they want to spend development time. Do you a) spend a bunch of time converting your audio engine over to SHAPE, and then save time on optimizing your physics engine, or b) leave the audio on CPU and spend a bunch of time optimizing the hell out of your physics engine? In the end, you will optimize and fiddle with the engines exactly the amount required to get the effect the designers want.

I like to use the example of the HD DVD player on the 360, since I have personal experience with it. When we started, we were using 100% of the 360, and getting 1 fps on a 24fps H.264 stream. When we finished, we were using 100% of the 360, and getting 24fps on a 24fps H.264 stream. Could we have optimized even more and gotten 30 or 60fps on that stream? Yes. Did we? No. It performed to spec, so we stopped right there.

In theory, the audio hardware in the One can produce results that could not be replicated by the entire 360 CPU. But what about good enough? If you don't use a polyphase SRC, and just go for the standard linear SRC? Now your audio is not quite as good (but you'd be hard pressed to tell most of the time) and you've reduced your CPU requirements a ton.

SHAPE was a free addition to the Xbox One audio block that Microsoft was lucky enough to get from the chip designers that did the 4 DSP cores designed to handle the Kinect processing.

http://beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1765802&postcount=277

Not bad. The Audio processor was originally devised to be able to offload Kinect Audio processing, and the chip designers came to the audio team and said "We have a bunch of extra transistors we can throw in for free, what would you like them to do?" or something close to that. The SHAPE block was the result of that conversation.

It's unmistakable at this point that devs have full access to SHAPE. It's the rest of the audio block, where the most powerful DSP cores reside, that they don't have full access to

Just to split off and add more. Bkilian points out that he'd be surprised if devs even use 50% of shape's capabilities.

http://beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1766656&postcount=317

SHAPE, if it were utilized 100% at all times, would be hard to equal in CPU, yes. But they don't need to equal it. For one, it's using better, but more expensive algorithms, for which the cheaper versions work fine, and have been used for the last generation without complaint. And second, It's highly doubtful that it will be utilized 100% for most games. I'd be surprised if developers used even 50% of it's capabilities for most titles.
By the time developers are looking to push the capabilities of the audio block, I suspect using GPU compute audio will be well understood and a reasonable solution.

With this post, for example, he clearly indicates that while he highly doubts devs will use 100% of shape for most games, and would even be surprised if they used even 50% of its capabilities for most titles, the very fact that he says this at all is clear proof that developers could use as much as 50% or even 100% if they wanted to.

I've been reading up on his posts for some time now, and unless you were doing that, there may have been a number of details about the xbox one audio block missed. The only part of the xbox one audio block that devs don't have full access to are the 4 DSP cores. They have 100% access to SHAPE.

This is the post where bkilian points out that SHAPE is all fixed function, and gives a little more information on what the audio block does for the system.

http://beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1787066&postcount=558

Nope. The only part of Shape that does decompression of audio streams is the XMA decompression block, and that is a souped up copy of the XMA hardware in the 360. The codec DSP also does decompression/compression, but it's not part of Shape. Shape is the fixed function block. The full audio block, which includes the 4 tensilica cores and Shape, has a different name.

I can't speak to what the PS4 has, but the X1 audio block would put the best sound card you can buy to shame. And that's _before_ you add in _any_ of the DSP cores. And the DSP core for scheduling removes a huge burden from the CPU requirements for audio processing. If all the chip did was offload effects scheduling and mixing it would easily half the CPU requirements for audio compared to the 360. It does a lot more than that.

But as I've said before, it helps with CPU processing and will not perform any magical GPU upgrade. It just means games on the X1 will have more CPU headroom to either use for reducing the amount of time it takes to get the game to a happy place CPU wise, or increase the amount of CPU tasks being done. The realist in me suspects it'll be the former. When given the choice of "We can have a lower development cost" versus "We can fit in a few more AI tasks", any game company that is not a first party is going to choose lower costs.

And this post from Dave Baumann is relevant in that it probably tells you why AMD chose to go with a dedicated DSP rather than using the shader cores for audio.

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1788450&postcount=733

Not only is a DSP leveraging routines specifically designed for the task, but the other issue with using shader cores is synchronization.

Sorry for the grave dig but it makes more sense to post here than be off-topic in another thread.

Does anyone know if saying, writing WDM or ASIO drivers aimed at taking advantage of TrueAudio could yield benefits for audio production like very low latency (like sub 5MS) on essentially any machine with an AMD card in it? I'm not super technical, but hearing about what it does for games reminds me a little about audio DSP cards for stuff like pro tools and ones other companies made.

Datschge

As TrueAudio is a hardware layer above the actual audio output I don't think writing bare bone WDM or ASIO drivers as is is useful at all. But what it could offer is low latency hardware accelerated surround and effect processing, down-mixing and the likes.

Top Bottom