• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'American Experience: Command and Control.' One socket away from nuclear armageddon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

http://www.commandandcontrolfilm.com/

Watch online HERE

Youtube Clips:
Promo (0:30)
Clip: PTS Team (1:38)
Clip: A Monster Waiting to Go Off (1:04)
BTS: Scene Breakdown (3:26)

A chilling nightmare plays out at a Titan II missile complex in Arkansas in September, 1980. A worker accidentally drops a socket, puncturing the fuel tank of an intercontinental ballistic missile carrying the most powerful nuclear warhead in our arsenal, an incident which ignites a series of feverish efforts to avoid a deadly disaster. Directed by Robert Kenner (FOOD, INC.) and based on the critically acclaimed book by Eric Schlosser (FAST FOOD NATION), COMMAND AND CONTROL is a minute-by-minute account of this long-hidden story. Putting a camera where there was no camera that night, Kenner brings this nonfiction thriller to life with stunning original footage shot in a decommissioned Titan II missile silo. Eyewitness accounts — from the man who dropped the socket, to the man who designed the warhead, to the Secretary of Defense— chronicle nine hours of terror that prevented an explosion 600 times more powerful than Hiroshima.
Watching this on PBS right now and it is scary as hell so far. O_O

EDIT: Salon: The Night We Almost Lost Arkansas - A 1980 Nuclear Armageddon That Almost Was

On a September night 36 years ago, we nearly lost Arkansas. Some people may regard that as a mixed blessing, even now — Bill Clinton and his wife, then the governor and first lady of that state, were less than 50 miles away in Little Rock, at the Arkansas Democratic Convention.

If the Titan 2 intercontinental ballistic missile, or ICBM, that exploded inside its silo in Damascus, Arkansas, had detonated its nuclear warhead, both the Clintons and Vice President Walter Mondale (also attending the convention) would have been dead within minutes. So would have millions of other people in Arkansas and neighboring states, with a plume of deadly radioactive fallout extending from the mid-South to the East Coast, perhaps as far as Washington.

It's not entirely fair to say that the near-catastrophe of 1980 was covered up. But Americans were not even remotely told the truth about how close we came to nuclear Armageddon in the heartland. In fact, when Mondale demanded to know whether the Damascus missile was armed with a nuclear warhead, the military initially refused to tell him. ”In my book, I have a quote from someone who was in the room," said author Eric Schlosser during a recent video interview in Salon's New York office. ”Mondale said, ‘Goddamn it, I'm the vice president of the United States! You should be able to tell me if there's a nuclear warhead on this missile or not. Eventually they did."

Schlosser's book is called ”Command and Control," and is also the basis for a thriller-style documentary of the same title from ”Food, Inc." director Robert Kenner, who joined Schlosser for our conversation. As Schlosser explained, local and national news covered the Damascus accident for two or three days but without understanding quite how bad it was.

”It was one of the first stories covered by the new network called CNN," he said. Then it quickly faded from view. ”There was a presidential election going on," Schlosser continued. ”Jimmy Carter was running against Ronald Reagan. We had hostages in Iran — that was a daily news story."

Schlosser added, ”Most importantly, the Pentagon denied that there was any possibility that this warhead could have detonated and that was accepted by the media. It wasn't until I really started researching this accident that I was able to do interviews and obtain documents that showed conclusively that this warhead was at risk of detonating accidentally."

In the film, which opens in New York this week, Kenner interviews a former military contractor who designed the safety mechanisms on the Titan 2, the most powerful nuclear missile ever deployed by the United States. ”I started to ask him whether the warhead really could have gone off because of this accident," Kenner told me. ”He interrupted me before I could finish the question. ‘Yes,' he told me. ‘It absolutely could have.'"

How close did a simple maintenance mishap come to rendering at least one American state uninhabitable and killing an unknown number of people? And what does that tell us about the security and safety of the deadliest weapons ever built in human history? We don't know the answer to the first question, and the second one raises extremely troubling issues.

Davilmar

Anything from American Experience will be a treasure to watch. Thanks for posting this, especially considering how sadly relevant nuclear arms and proliferation has become.

Yeah, scary as hell. Scary as hell that a nuclear missile's fuel tank could be punctured by a dropped (admittedly, 8lb) socket, scary as hell that they honestly didn't know for sure what was going to happen to the warhead when the fuel went off, scary as hell that such mundane accidents happen at all involving something with as much destructive potential as nuclear weapons, and scary as hell that the whole thing was quickly moved on from in a "there was never any danger, trust us -- we're the government" kind of way.

This is a moment in American history that's largely been forgotten by the public, isn't it?

AlexBasch

515214.jpg

Will watch.

Ive always been fascinated by this kind of thing. We dropped two nukes on NC in 1961 by accident. They were refueling a B-52 armed with two nukes over NC. Something happened and the B-52 now has a fuel leak so all but two (who went down with the ship) bail from the plane and it crashes. The plane fell apart before it crashed and released the bombs. One bomb had 3/4 arm switched activated. Here's a quote from a couple USAF servicemen recovering the nukes

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1961_Goldsboro_B-52_crash
"Until my death I will never forget hearing my sergeant say, 'Lieutenant, we found the arm/safe switch.' And I said, 'Great.' He said, 'Not great. It’s on arm.'”

Chichikov

The book is really good (and probably the scariest book I read in quite a while) and American Experience is always great. Will watch.

Will watch.

Ive always been fascinated by this kind of thing. We dropped two nukes on NC in 1961 by accident. They were refueling a B-52 armed with two nukes over NC. Something happened and the B-52 now has a fuel leak so all but two (who went down with the ship) bail from the plane and it crashes. The plane fell apart before it crashed and released the bombs. One bomb had 3/4 arm switched activated. Here's a quote from a couple USAF servicemen recovering the nukes

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1961_Goldsboro_B-52_crash
I spent a good chunk of my day today looking up other nuclear disasters and mishaps involving nuclear weapons, as a result of watching this last night. Fascinating yet frightening stuff.

Kin5290

Salon said:
On a September night 36 years ago, we nearly lost Arkansas. Some people may regard that as a mixed blessing, even now — Bill Clinton and his wife, then the governor and first lady of that state, were less than 50 miles away in Little Rock, at the Arkansas Democratic Convention.

If the Titan 2 intercontinental ballistic missile, or ICBM, that exploded inside its silo in Damascus, Arkansas, had detonated its nuclear warhead, both the Clintons and Vice President Walter Mondale (also attending the convention) would have been dead within minutes. So would have millions of other people in Arkansas and neighboring states, with a plume of deadly radioactive fallout extending from the mid-South to the East Coast, perhaps as far as Washington.
Wait, what? This sounds like a load of nonsense.

An explosion that destroys a nuclear equipped ICBM still wouldn't cause the warhead to explode. This is because nuclear warheads detonate thanks to a series of highly precise detonations in an explosive shell surrounding the radioactive core that compresses it, triggering the nuclear reaction.

From the Wikipedia article about the incident:
At about 3:00 a.m. on September 19, 1980, the hypergolic fuel exploded. The W53 warhead landed about 100 feet (30 m) from the launch complex's entry gate; its safety features operated correctly and prevented any loss of radioactive material.

Wait, what? This sounds like a load of nonsense.

An explosion that destroys a nuclear equipped ICBM still wouldn't cause the warhead to explode. This is because nuclear warheads detonate thanks to a series of highly precise detonations in an explosive shell surrounding the radioactive core that compresses it, triggering the nuclear reaction.

From the Wikipedia article about the incident:
About 24 minutes into the documentary they address the possibility of safety features being circumvented in the event of a fire, giving an example of solder being melted on circuitboards in triggering mechanisms.

AmyS

Bump. Thanks for posting this. I'll watch it at some point today.

Also, here is 1 of 13 episodes of the old PBS series, War and Peace in the Nuclear Age from 1989, focusing on the M-X missile, which later saw limited deployment as the LGM-118 Peacekeeper.

Missile Experimental - War And Peace In The Nuclear Age

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_and_Peace_in_the_Nuclear_Age
War and Peace in the Nuclear Age is a 1989 PBS television series focusing on the effect of nuclear weapons development on international relations and warfare during the Cold War. The 13-part series was funded by the Annenberg/CPB Project and produced by WGBH in Boston in association with NHK and Central Independent Television. The New York Times called it "public television's equivalent of a nuclear explosion," praising it as "intelligently conceived and fastidiously balanced."

There was also a book.

bgU5N3G.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0394562178/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom