• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Horror Story: Freak Show |OT| Let your inhibitions go, it's a crazy night...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Christopher

Not a bad season to be honest. I truly enjoyed it.

I think it would be good to binge watch, and not having to suffer week to week to maybe get more enjoyment out of it. I liked the characters too...I just didn't like the fate where most of them ended up.

LaNaranja

I finally decided to watch the finale to get it off my DVR. What a terrible ending. Those freaks did some fucked up shit and yet all of them got a happy ending. They straight up tortured two people not to mention the cop they killed and chopped up into tiny pieces at the start of the season. Also what happened to the strongman and Emma Roberts? Did they not get to go to freak heaven?

A thought popped up seeing Meep at the end. He died far before any of the other freaks did. Was he just doing a one man show to a full house while he waited for everyone else to die?

Nemesis_

Not sure how the ratings have held up (although I'm sure Nem has a graph knocking about)

Ask and ye shall receive!

ahsratingsfinalaeuur.png

I was actually keen to see how this season stacked up and really not surprised to see that Murder House and Coven rated higher as the seasons continued.

The injustice for Asylum ;_;

edit I'm not actually sure how ratings work in America, and whether networks look at ratings per episode, an overall average or even drops but I worked out average ratings just for the hell of it.

Murder House 2.82 million
Asylum 2.53 million
Coven 4.00 million
Freak Show 3.85 million

Let's delete this thread and forget that this decrepit show ever existed. Just thinking about how much time I wasted watching it, and how misleading it was pisses me off.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Ask and ye shall receive!

ahsratingsfinalaeuur.png

I was actually keen to see how this season stacked up and really not surprised to see that Murder House and Coven rated higher as the seasons continued.

The injustice for Asylum ;_;

edit I'm not actually sure how ratings work in America, and whether networks look at ratings per episode, an overall average or even drops but I worked out average ratings just for the hell of it.

Murder House 2.82 million
Asylum 2.53 million
Coven 4.00 million
Freak Show 3.85 million

aah not surprised at the ratings drop,
getting below murder house at the end though is quite surprising

still amazes me that asylm was the worst rated, but I guess its quality is shown in the boost for coven

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder why AHS got a ratings boost since Coven premiered. Was it because of Asylum or just the witches being more popular?

kirblar

I wonder why AHS got a ratings boost since Coven premiered. Was it because of Asylum or just the witches being more popular?
It's a trend we're seeing with Netflix, people catch up on earlier seasons and start watching the new ones, resulting in bumps over time instead of declines. It's why Dexter kept getting higher ratings season after season despite devolving into a mess by the end.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
It's a trend we're seeing with Netflix, people catch up on earlier seasons and start watching the new ones, resulting in bumps over time instead of declines. It's why Dexter kept getting higher ratings season after season despite devolving into a mess by the end.

I see. That makes sense.

Poor Meep got hit by a SUV's side mirror as he was trying to cross the street. Hes in critical condition at some Hollywood hospital. He was jaywalking so the cops didn't ticket the driver. Poor Meep :(

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
'American Horror Story: Freak Show’ Sets FX Ratings Record

“Freak Show,” the most recent installment of the “American Horror Story” anthology series, has become FX’s most-watched program ever when all viewing platforms are counted.

Based on the latest tally of linear and non-linear viewership, Nielsen estimates that roughly 12.64 million viewers on average watched “American Horror Story: Freak Show,” surpassing the previous year’s “Coven” installment (11.75 million) as well as the seventh and final season of “Sons of Anarchy” (11.69 million) as the network’s most popular series to date. The show generated 10.73 million total viewers in “live plus-7″ linear viewing and picked up an additional 1.91 million from VOD and streaming.

Blue Lou

As silly as it seems, I don't think this was primarily a "horror" show but a "disability awareness" show. There were some elements of horror but the feeling I got about the show was it was encouraged viewers to see past the character's disabilities and see their personalities (in contrast to the promos which were all about the disabilities, the promos themselves were a meta promotion of the "freak show").

As silly as it seems, I don't think this was primarily a "horror" show but a "disability awareness" show. There were some elements of horror but the feeling I got about the show was it was encouraged viewers to see past the character's disabilities and see their personalities (in contrast to the promos which were all about the disabilities, the promos themselves were a meta promotion of the "freak show").

That's how I felt and I was surprised by it, but I guess in a good way? I mean, I went in expecting horror and was disappointed but it IS nice that they tried to get people to "humanize" the freaks, because it would have been very easy to make them "monsters" and have them be the actual horror element of that season.

I mean I'm conflicted because I feel BAD saying I'm disappointed that the freaks weren't monsters, but at the same time this is American HORROR Story, people expect horror from it. And when you set the season in an old sideshow, the opportunities for scares are like... almost endless. But we didn't... really get any.

Glad that it's scoring high though. Hopefully that translates to more seasons which could then translate to stuff that's actually scary again.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Just finished the Pepper episode. Best episode in multiple seasons. On the whole im finding the whole of Freak Show to be not so bad. If i were waiting a week between episodes i would probably be pretty let down. Binging the show (and having extremely low expectations) have helped buoy my reaction somewhat i think.

The thing i was most surprised at was the lack of horror elements. i was envisioning much more supernatural elements. So far the show is more American Crime Story Freak Show than AHS. Going in i was expecting all sorts of nutty psycho circus stuff like real psychic, cursed curios, maybe even the devil himself having his own show ala Dr. Diabolos from Torture Garden. i get that the direct inspiration is Freaks but the supernatural element is sorely missed.

i wasnt a fan of the clown (Twisty i guess hes called.. i dont think he was ever named in the show). Until the Mordrake episode the clown scenes were the most boring part of the show to me. i think that was more a directing thing because the scenes in the school bus were just devoid of any tension or suspense. The only scene he was in that was creepy was the toy store.

Speaking of Twisty going out on a high note, the flash backs in this show are very interesting. Learning the backstories of everyone is a treat and much more interesting that whatever weekly drama is going on. To see these people treated so terribly is not only depressing and captivating but i wouldnt be surprised if they are actual life stories of people with deformities.

Anyway.. back into the last few episodes.

edit: no point in bumping this thread. Finished the last couple episodes. Boring and predictable. Shame the season ended on such a low note.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom