• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT2| Party Like It's 1999.

Icolin

Banned
Apparently the Whitecaps are interested in Scott Arfield, and they could pursue Juninho and Luis Gil.

Source: http://www.metro.us/sports/source-w...uld-pursue-juninho-gil/zsJplt---Pi2fuQibkavI/

I'm taking this rumor with a grain of salt, because I assume that a Premier League regular starter in his prime (Arfield) would cost more than the Whitecaps have ever been willing to spend, as they've displayed time and time again. And also because the article has grammatical errors all over the place, which is usually the first red flag for me.

If true though, thank you based Carl.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Apparently the Whitecaps are interested in Scott Arfield, and they could pursue Juninho and Luis Gil.

Source: http://www.metro.us/sports/source-w...uld-pursue-juninho-gil/zsJplt---Pi2fuQibkavI/

I'm taking this rumor with a grain of salt, because I assume that a Premier League regular starter in his prime (Arfield) would cost more than the Whitecaps have ever been willing to spend, as they've displayed time and time again.

If true though, thank you based Carl.

I hope you're right because I don't want to have to see a competent Whitecaps team until after we roll them in the Champion's League. After those matches feel free to be good again, just be shit until after we're done with you is all.

Icolin

Banned
I hope you're right because I don't want to have to see a competent Whitecaps team until after we roll them in the Champion's League. After those matches feel free to be good again, just be shit until after we're done with you is all.

Well, we've certainly proven that we can be shit, so it's possible. But I feel that the ownership and the coaching staff finally get what went wrong last year, and they've addressed key issues (getting a real RB, sayin bye to Morales, extending Robbo's contract, signing some of the standout USL players to pro contracts for more depth, etc).

And that's not even factoring in Alphonso "Canadian Messi" Davies and Kekuta Manneh, so watch out buddy!

On the draft:

Yikes. That sounds like the definition of pointless. If so few of the 3rd/4th round draft picks end up actually playing, it seems like there wasn't really a need to expand the draft in the first place. It sounds like our college talent pool just isn't deep enough. I wonder if these 3rd/4th round draftees just get picked to fill up USL roster spots.

The probably should go back to two rounds and focus more on signing homegrown players.

Early xmas gift from my girlfriend:

3pRO8SI.jpg

And our bench exodus continues. Bloom went to Atlanta, Johnson seems to be going to Orlando and now Josh Williams getting picked by Columbus.

The price of too much depth. Hopefully Cheyrou is coming back.
That would be nice. Our midfield backups should consist of Cheyrou (if he comes back), Delgado and Chapman, backing up Bradley, Oso and Cooper. Not bad.

As for the CBs, we've got Moor, Zavaleta and Hagglund, and we might be shopping for another one in case one gets hurt, etc. I'm not sure they'll ever play Simonin.

Cystm

UPROXX: David Villa Tells Us That People With ‘Nasty’ Opinions Of MLS Have Never Watched A Match

We oftentimes hear MLS referred to as a place where stars go when they want to come to retire... Were you aware of this perception before you came over, and what were your thoughts the first time you heard that MLS is a “retirement home”?

For me, I never thought this, I’ve done everything in my career. And if I want to retire I’ll go home and retire, I’d go through life with my family. I came here to be competitive, to be strong, to make history, and when I decide it’s the moment for retirement I’ll go home because I did everything in my life, in my career. I will continue – my body’s fit, my mind is fit, I will continue to make history. But play always the same when I was 15 years old: 100 percent, competitive. This is my job here.

But had you heard that prior to coming over? The whole “this is a place where people come to retire?”

Yeah. People sometimes have opinions that are nasty, no? I mentioned yesterday – if the people coming here are watching one month, three, four games, it’s impossible to have this opinion. The people who have this opinion have never watched a game in MLS, it’s not important for the people who want to build this league because this opinion is not true. If you watch the games or if you watch the construction or building of the league.

Just the best. Such a class act and seriously one of the best athletes that could ever come to MLS. Much love and respect to him.

UPROXX: David Villa Tells Us That People With ‘Nasty’ Opinions Of MLS Have Never Watched A Match

Just the best. Such a class act and seriously one of the best athletes that could ever come to MLS. Much love and respect to him.

That's a great attitude to hear. Guys like Villa, Robbie Keene, and Giovinco are the right kind of DP players from overseas that help the league move forward.

Regarding the specific question, while the league has definitely improved and it's often dismissed unfairly, It's still a second tier league and if they want to avoid the perception of being a retirement league, then they need to stop signing Euro-Stars who are over the age of 35. No Euro-Star who joined the league when they were 35 or over has made any meaningful impact for more than a season. That's actually a good thing because the league has improved to where players can't just show up in their late 30s and expect to be effective without taking the commitment seriously.

But the league needs to avoid re-enforcing the retirement image by stop giving huge contracts to any aging Euro-Star who decides they want to retire in America. I'm hoping over the last 2-3 years, the league saw both good and bad examples of DP signings, and they've learned the lessons. A guy like Giovinco both grows the league and improves the quality & perception of the league. Whereas guys like Steven Gerrad only provide a short-term boost in ticket sales, and add very little to the quality of the game. As a Galaxy fan, I'm not going to shed any tears that he's gone since he hardly made an impact.

Happy Holidays, American Soccer GAFers!

Last night, I found out BWP's kids go to school where my cousin works. She met him a few times. The nicest guy with a really nice voice, she says. Small world.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Where will Bob Bradley end up now? He hasn't had good results but I'm surprised they didn't give him the transfer window. The 3rd coach this season could easily perform as bad as Bradley did.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Where will Bob Bradley end up now? He hasn't had good results but I'm surprised they didn't give him the transfer window. The 3rd coach this season could easily perform as bad as Bradley did.

He's had good results everywhere else he's been, he should land on his feet. I think this might have been down to losing the fanbase after the last game, no one was going to turn this team around without the transfer window. They desperately need CB's and a good D-mid if they want to avoid relegation, firing Bob hasn't changed that. Unless the next guy brings in some defensive reinforcements they won't be able to stay up regardless of who is coaching the team.

Dartastic

He's had good results everywhere else he's been, he should land on his feet. I think this might have been down to losing the fanbase after the last game, no one was going to turn this team around without the transfer window. They desperately need CB's and a good D-mid if they want to avoid relegation, firing Bob hasn't changed that. Unless the next guy brings in some defensive reinforcements they won't be able to stay up regardless of who is coaching the team.
It's ridiculous that they fired him IMO. Barely gave him any time, and he had to work with what the last coach gave him. Ridiculous.

Also, as a Liverpool fan, I frankly think the Toronto game should have been one spot up.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
It's ridiculous that they fired him IMO. Barely gave him any time, and he had to work with what the last coach gave him. Ridiculous.

Also, as a Liverpool fan, I frankly think the Toronto game should have been one spot up.

I'm not sure how much of a choice they had after the fans revolted after the last game. I agree he should have at least gotten the transfer window and a few games after because right now he looks more like a sacrificial lamb to get them to the January window.

Dartastic

I'm not sure how much of a choice they had after the fans revolted after the last game. I agree he should have at least gotten the transfer window and a few games after because right now he looks more like a sacrificial lamb to get them to the January window.
I mean, his results were not quite as good, but at the same time holy shit, the dude didn't even get three months and he had to work with a crappy squad. What do you expect?

RBH

newsEngin.17103171_BDS.jpg

Georgia Tech has begun preparing Grant Field for Atlanta United’s arrival in March.

A project is underway at the 103-year-old field so that the playing surface will meet MLS specifications for the new franchise’s games. Tech will host games until Mercedes-Benz Stadium opens in the summer, with the season opener scheduled for March 5th.

Grant Field’s natural grass surface has been ringed by artificial turf along the sidelines and behind the end zones, but that has been removed to prepare for the installation of grass.

A football field is 53 1/3 yards from sideline to sideline. MLS dictates that fields must be at least 70 yards wide and 110 yards long. The maximum width is 80 yards and the maximum length 120 yards.

Tech contracted with Atlanta United to loan Bobby Dodd Stadium earlier this year , an agreement that will pay the athletic association $45,000 for each game that the soccer team plays there and another $5,000 for each game that the club sells merchandise. Tech will also receive $2 for every ticket sold and will split net revenues on food and beverages.

That’s in addition to $275,000 for locker-room accommodations and $350,000 to re-install artificial turf on the field’s perimeter once the final soccer game is played.

The department was going to replace to replace the aging artificial turf that rings the field anyway, as it had hardened and become matted down. The deal with Atlanta United means that much, if not all, of the cost of doing so will be footed by the soccer club.

It stands to be a useful revenue stream for Tech, which is facing a budget shortfall of $2.7 million for the 2017 fiscal year and has made a point of finding ways to generate income from its facilities. Atlanta United might hold seven matches in Bobby Dodd Stadium if the targeted June 1 opening for Mercedes-Benz Stadium holds.

Using a conservative average attendance of 30,000, the Tech athletic association would stand to receive $770,000 on seven games, not counting revenues on food and beverage and the intangible benefits of bringing non-Tech fans onto the campus. Tech is projected to spend $75.6 million in the 2017 fiscal year. The department will have to staff and operate the games in a scope similar to a home football game.

When the stadium hosted the Rolling Stones concert in 2015, the department netted $300,000.

In the contract, dates surrounding the football spring game and graduation were protected.

The school will have another professional sports tenant this coming summer, the Atlanta Dream. The WNBA team will play in McCamish Pavilion for its entire 2017 and 2018 seasons as Philips Arena will be undergoing renovation.
http://www.myajc.com/sports/college...-atlanta-united-games/XKX3pnDiYhIosPMI811hYO/

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
So there apparently Bob Bradley's name is getting tossed around as the new manager for Norway's national team. Nothing more than talk right now, but given his success the last time he was up there it makes a certain amount of sense given they need to turn that team around.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
So there apparently Bob Bradley's name is getting tossed around as the new manager for Norway's national team. Nothing more than talk right now, but given his success the last time he was up there it makes a certain amount of sense given they need to turn that team around.

He'll find a new job soon. I'm kind of rooting for Bournemouth to destroy Swansea today. Firing the manager won't give them a defense. They need new players.

Meier

It's been rumored for a bit but Ethan Horvath officially joined Club Brugge. He's unlikely to take over as the #1 for some time I'd suspect but it's a big, big move for him and should be a nice stepping stone in his career.

http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2017/01/03/ethan-horvath-club-brugge-us-goalkeeper-molde

Also, the Crew signed Jonathan Mensah (Ghanaian defender) as a DP. I'm not sure if Ghana have officially announced their roster for the AFCON but he was brought to their camp. I assume he'll be going as he has over 50 caps and is a regular member of the squad.

Top Bottom