• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT2| Party Like It's 1999.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
How many game are left in the hex?

Two. A win here means we only need three more points to grab third place. A tie means a win and a tie. Either way a result here is needed to avoid that play-off with Asia.

EDIT: He couldn't get sent off 10 minutes ago?

Mory Dunz

It's pretty pathetic that we have to be excited about a draw after being outplayed by Honduras.

yea, everyone saying we just need a draw is really grating on me.

1 point out of 6. Great job guys.

These are the types of games you back and comfortably win if you ever want to experience any growth in a football/soccer nation.

Personally, I think we played a lot better offensively against costa rica.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
yea, everyone saying we just need a draw is really grating on me.

1 point out of 6. Great job guys.

These are the types of games you back and comfortably win if you ever want to experience any growth in a football/soccer nation.

Personally, I think we played a lot better offensively against costa rica.

We did. The issue in both of these games has been the back four. If that doesn't get sorted out before the next round of qualifiers it's going to be a pair of long, long games.

All the same, the only thing that matters right now is making the World Cup. Doesn't matter how ugly it looks, so long as we make it.

Quixzlizx

We did. The issue in both of these games has been the back four. If that doesn't get sorted out before the next round of qualifiers it's going to be a pair of long, long games.

All the same, the only thing that matters right now is making the World Cup. Doesn't matter how ugly it looks, so long as we make it.

I joked to a friend that I could've made a better tackle attempt than Gonzalez. I probably would've conceded a PK instead of tapping the ball to the perfect spot to kick it past Guzan.

Meier

3 minutes of added time in that game was laughable. Keeper alone wasted 3 minutes with his "injury." Whatever, we'll take it but if we hadn't gotten one back I've had been livid. Should have been 5 at a minimum and more like 6 or 7.

Meier

P.s. Can we talk about that BeIN halftime show? Was that not the worst thing you've seen in a long time? Good lord.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I'm starting to think coaching isn't the problem. Its the "talent" we have on the field. Our young guys coming up aren't that successful either.

The back is getting older instead of younger, outside of Yedlin and Brooks. Guys like Miazga need to be worked into the squad before the World Cup. A backline that's half old men is only going to cause problems going forward.

Watching these last two games, I'm convinced that Arena needs to start calling in younger defenders. There's too many guys either pushing thirty or on the wrong side of it right now. Fix that and it'll go a long way towards fixing the issues we've seen with the team in these last two games. Zusi works in a pinch if someone goes down in the middle of a game, but he's practically starting in that spot at this point.

And part of the problem is our young guys are really young. Pulisic is good, but he doesn't have enough experience with the rough and tumble of CONCACAF. Leaving him off the Gold Cup roster was probably a mistake, he needs the experience.

ZZMitch

Man the if the US lost that would totally ruined my day... And I successfully defended my MSc thesis today so that would have been hard to do lol.

Glad they were able to get a result but it's gotta be better

Icolin

Banned
Costa Rica vs Mexico is going on right now. 5 MLS players are starting for Costa Rica (Calvo, Waston, Guzman, Bolaños, Ureña), 2 MLS players starting for Mexico (Dos Santos brothers).

Since Costa Rica did not win they have not qualified and will have their full squad when they host Honduras.

US is hosting Panama in Orlando. Thanks Sunil.

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
I'm starting to think coaching isn't the problem. Its the "talent" we have on the field. Our young guys coming up aren't that successful either.

Spacing and movement off the ball are just pure amateur hour. Sure, they got outplayed and got the tie with a shit quality goal (let's just throw it into the mixer and pray!) but come on...our youth academy system should be paying bigger dividends at this point. We really are just playing checkers out there.

I used to say the US would probably be a powerhouse and WC contenders in 20 years (i.e. by 2038), then I thought about it for a minute and one could say that the 2002 team that got screwed in the QFs against Germany by poor reffing is arguably the best team the US has ever had. If I watched soccer back then I would have said for sure we would be WC contenders in 20 years, but there ain't no way in hell we are close to being anywhere close to sniffing that trophy in 2022.

I will say that unless there is a change in culture and the MLS and USL academies start producing talent, then the US is never going to win a WC. We will have to settle for competing with mediocre teams like the Mexicos and Honduras of the world and forget about the Brazils and Germanys.

I also think the US should stop trying to look for a Pele or a Ronaldo (like some are trying to do to Pullisic). The kid is not a Ronaldo or Messi. He is more of a Thomas Mueller or Julian Draxler type of player. The US is also more likely to develop a team like Germany (i.e. no Neymars or Ronaldos, but with 11 capable players) as opposed to developing a team like Argentina with good players and one superstar. So, please, let's stop trying to look for a great savior.

USA vs Syria in November?

That's what I'm hoping for since we can't get US vs N. Korea. That would be the ideal scenario.

So we need Mexico and Costa Rica to help us out it seems...

The US still controls its own destiny if they win the next two games. Of course, CR and MX could just play scrubs and let Honduras go to town on them and make up the goal difference, snatching 3rd place no matter what the US does. Regardless, I don't think the US gets 6 the next 2 games anyways, not with this squad and playing like this. I'm actually hoping for 4th place for a playoff against Asia. That would be a bit exciting and put some pressure on US Soccer. Not making the WC would be....interesting lol. I am sure heads would roll all over.

Why are US playing Panama in Orlando?

The US plays a road game no matter where they play, so US Soccer just wanted to throw Orlando a bone.

Big Blue

Hate to say it, but we won't be successful with most of the roster being made up of MLS players. Timmy Chandler>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Zusi as a fullback. Jurgen was right.

- MLS Analyst: A point can't eliminate real worries for US in Honduras
- Grant Wahl: Wood Helps USMNT Avoid World Cup Qualifying Disaster in Key Draw vs. Honduras
- Grant Wahl: World Cup Qualifying Survival Instincts Kick in for Desperate USA in Honduras Draw
- Washington Post: U.S. soccer team boosts World Cup hopes by salvaging draw against Honduras
- ESPNFC: Super-sub Bobby Wood keeps U.S. alive with late goal against Honduras
- Sciaretta: Here's What to Make of the Two September Qualifiers

Paul Carr said:
DJC300nXoAAgJlm.jpg

DJC0SifXoAA7SxY.jpg

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Hate to say it, but we won't be successful with most of the roster being made up of MLS players. Timmy Chandler>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Zusi as a fullback. Jurgen was right.

Timmy Chandler has been beyond shambolic for the US. He might perform at the club level but he's been total shit internationally.

gutshot

Is the whole "couple bad results leads to existential panic about a national team's long-term prospects for success" thing happening everywhere or is that strictly a US phenomenon?

I mean, these games sucked, don't get me wrong; but it's possible that the team just had a couple poor showings and it's not indicative of their overall talent level or ability to develop talent.

I mean, these games sucked, don't get me wrong; but it's possible that the team just had a couple poor showings and it's not indicative of their overall talent level or ability to develop talent.
I thought Mike Goodman had a reasonable take on it this morning in his article for fivethirtyeight.
The path to qualification is easy, so it’s still likely that the U.S. team will be off to Russia next summer, but they’ve used up much of their margin for error. As it stands, there’s no scenario in which the U.S. can qualify for the World Cup before the final match in Trinidad and Tobago. The last time the U.S. was still hoping to clinch a spot entering its final game was heading into the 1990 World Cup, basically the dawn of modern American soccer. Even if things go perfectly next month, when they take on Panama and Trinidad and Tobago, this will still go down as the team’s worst modern qualifying campaign.
Where the U.S. went wrong

The problem right now isn’t so much that the U.S. team is bad. It’s not. The problem is that the U.S. was really bad last year when this phase of qualification started, and it hasn’t really ever made up for it. Jurgen Klinsmann was fired two games into the USMNT’s final-round qualifying bid, after a home loss against Mexico and a 4-0 thumping away to Costa Rica. The team was a mess, and Bruce Arena was brought in to stabilize the ship. And he did. In his first four games in charge, he led the team to two home wins and two road draws, the exact kind of record that leads to easy qualification. But the record didn’t earn back any of the points the team dropped in its first two games. Arena stopped the bleeding, but he didn’t fill in the hole that Klinsmann had dug.

That left that the men’s team vulnerable to a single bad match — like the match last Friday, in which Costa Rica beat the U.S. 2-0 in New Jersey. Realistically, Arena’s team didn’t play all that badly. The USMNT outshot its opponents 14-9 and produced a 1.26 to 0.62 expected goal advantage. Arena’s men conceded an early goal thanks to some poor positioning from central defenders Geoff Cameron and Tim Ream and some questionable goalkeeping from Tim Howard. Then they were denied a second-half equalizer when Costa Rica’s goalkeeper, Keylor Navas, made an absolutely inhuman save on a shot from U.S. midfielder Christian Pulisic that took a wicked deflection. If either the blown defense or the amazing save had gone slightly differently, the game looks different, the qualifying campaign looks different, and the answer to the question of “What is wrong with the team?” is basically “Nothing.”

This team as currently constituted is just about good enough to qualify for the World Cup. The problem is that it isn’t much better than that.

gutshot

I thought Mike Goodman had a reasonable take on it this morning in his article for fivethirtyeight.

Yeah, that sounds about right. The US are what they are. They aren't a world power, so it shouldn't be a surprise that they can struggle at times to defeat "lesser" teams. And even world powers can go through some tough times (look at Argentina or the Netherlands right now).

We should take solace in the fact that we have an 18-year-old who has the potential to be one of the top 15 players in the world. That's something we've never had before.

ZZMitch

So Will Johnson was arrested on domestic battery charges... Not a great year for Canadian Orlando City players. Or Orlando City in general.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
He's better than Graham Zusi.

I'd say their performances have been about even. If you think they weren't then you don't remember the shitshow that was Chandler.

The issue the fact both of them suck highlights is that we need way more depth in the back. We have a hard time cramming all the midfielders and strikers we'd like on the pitch all at once, but when it comes to defenders just finding some is hard enough.

We really need to start playing our younger defenders in friendlies, almost exclusively, if only to get them the needed experience. There was no excuse for Miazga to only get one game at the Gold Cup, especially when he played well for that one game. He was one of the better defenders in MLS at 19 and has locked down a starting job in Europe. Call his ass in!

This is reasonable. The US isn't a world beater and CONCACAF qualification is a grind, it's never looked pretty. I'd say the squad is a little better than "barely qualifies for the WC" but not by a whole lot. They need to play a little rougher and handle rough play from the other teams betters than they have been, I think that's been a major issue in the last two games.

We should take solace in the fact that we have an 18-year-old who has the potential to be one of the top 15 players in the world. That's something we've never had before.

When he gets more experience the US will have an easier time getting through, he's not used to how rough play is here yet. Should have brought him for the Gold Cup to speed the process up imo.

Cystm

NYCFC need to get this stadium shit sorted. I have no more patience left. Share a stadium with the Jersey boys, idgaf, that'd still be better than this shit.

Also

Hot take? Zusi is good at fullback and had proven that during the gold cup and WCQ before that already.

For the foreseeable future, yes. For long term future, the US needs MLS to produce world class athletes. They also need to be competitive salary wise to retain those athletes as well as sign foreign athletes in their prime to strengthen the league.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
NYCFC need to get this stadium shit sorted. I have no more patience left. Share a stadium with the Jersey boys, idgaf, that'd still be better than this shit.

Also

Hot take? Zusi is good at fullback and had proven that during the gold cup and WCQ before that already.

Zusi doesn't have the pace to handle some of the wingers he needs to contain, he's enough for most of CONCACAF but not the higher level teams in the region.

Also, both NYCFC fans and RBNY fans would riot if MLS forced a stadium share. If they can't lock down a stadium in the next year or two they should just fold and spare us all the embarrassment. They never should have been let in without a stadium in the first place.

For the foreseeable future, yes. For long term future, the US needs MLS to produce world class athletes. They also need to be competitive salary wise to retain those athletes as well as sign foreign athletes in their prime to strengthen the league.

MLS won't be able to compete with higher paid leagues so long as it has a salary cap.

Top Bottom