• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Americans of Chinese heritage with southern accents living in the Mississippi Delta

nel e nel

Regardless of segregation a multicultural society infers that nationals will have the appearance of any ethnic background and will have the accent of the area they grew up, or at the very least will have accent afflictions of the area they live if they immigrated. Its just basic common sense.

Sure, but my point is that due to racism and segregation, often times that inferral can be incorrect.

At the end of the day, representation in media really does play a strong role in this phenomena. If someone's only exposure to certain ethnic groups is how they are portrayed in the media, then they will have a lot of misconceptions about them.

Yes, it's going to be surprising to hear an Asian person with a deep southern accent, especially when the South is always characterized in terms of black and white people. This documentary would be pointless, if it was telling people something they already knew. Tickled me, the first time I spoke to a Chinese woman who was born and raised in Ireland.

I was in the hardware store one day when the young woman approached me, wanting to sell me the solar panels. I didn't give a damn about the solar panels, her accent was so unusual I had to ask her where she was from. South Africa, as it turned out. Rarely do I meet South Africans, and I had no clue they would be Chinese South Africans LOL. It was cool.

rpmurphy

Interesting how they ended up there was because of cotton plantation work, and not surprising that they didn't want to pick cotton for a living either.

Gattsu25

Banned
How is this odd? Of course people living in the area will grow up with the local accent.

That said, I greatly enjoyed the history lesson that the video provided. I wasn't aware of that.

Pretty sure when they say they are getting together for "southern Chinese food" they mean Cantonese food. These people all look like they're from there.

No, it's pretty obvious it's chinese/southern US BBQ fusion. I mean the BBQ ribs and chicken are right there in the video.

LOL. Weird seeing other people's reactions. To me, I don't feel anything. Probably cause I live in Irvine where there is a ton of Asian People with different California accents.

Another tidbit I found:

During the labor-scarce 1870s, cotton planters imported Chinese laborers to work their fields, while others came to work on the railroads. Most Chinese in the Delta came via New Orleans and the Mississippi River. The influx of blacks from east of the Mississippi resulted in most Chinese agricultural workers leaving the region. Those that remained established a Chinese-American culture substantially different from those found on the east and west coasts of the United States.

In the late 1800s, U.S. law allowed male Chinese laborers into the country, but banned Chinese women. Some of the earliest Chinese immigrants married black women, but as they came to better understand the power-structure of the late nineteenth century South, this trend died out. One Chinese who married a black woman in Mississippi reportedly sent their children back to China to spare them from the racism that was so prevalent in the Delta. Like blacks, Chinese in the Delta were segregated from whites until after World War II and refused access to white churches, schools, hospitals, hotels, and restaurants. Many became small grocers serving black neighborhoods.

Delta Chinese, or Hon Yen as they called themselves in Cantonese, erected a society unlike that of any other Chinese enclave in North America. There were no substantial Chinatowns in any Delta cities, nor were there any of the cultural accoutrements that Chinese communities on the two coasts brought to America, such as clans, tongs, gambling parlors, pagodas, and paper dragons. Delta Chinese have tended to play a subdued role in Delta society, somewhere between the Lo Mok, the blacks, and the Bok Guey, the whites.lix

The interesting thing about Chinese men marrying Black women in the late 1800s is that Mae Jemison, the first African American woman to travel in space, did a DNA test in 2006 on PBS's African American Lives with Louis Gates and found out she had no discernible European ancestry, 84% sub-Saharan African descent, 13% East Asian, and 3% Native American. Researchers were unable to find a conclusive match for her in terms of a specific African tribe. Researchers explained her high East Asian ancestry (for black Americans) to the fact that Chinese laborers were sent to Mississippi - her family's ancestral state - in the late 1800s, so apparently one of her great-grandfathers may have been such a laborer. although she indicated that people had told her such during her travels to Asia. She figured that it was just traces of Native American ancestry.

752px-Dr._Mae_C._Jemison%2C_First_African-American_Woman_in_Space_-_GPN-2004-00020.jpg

Plasmid

My hometown of clarksdale! Grew up on Wong's groceries and Kings food all the time. Never had better chinese food in my life than their restaurants when they were up. My wife's parents and mine both grew up on their food throughout their childhood. Sadly there's not much left in clarksdale as the town has gone down in the last 15-20 years.

We also have a huge Lebanese population in C'dale as well.

TissueBox

To all the surprised folk, you'd get a trip out of other interesting multi-ethnic, -cultural combos around the world. :p

The contexts and outcomes are usually still always fascinating though, but the fact goes without saying, that for every majority in a region, there is an outlying minority culture which has assimilated not just national quirks but the unique local ones too. It did captivate me at first when I was looking into my relatives and realized -- Cali and the MidWest and the east and the south all have such distinct differences, that this will also apply to them (who aren't purely white). Made me think just how much for granted one might take things they deem natural about their cultural properties, which actually can be very unique in greater consideration.

shaneo632

I remember when I was a kid and my school had one Chinese girl, and hearing her speak with a London (Lahndahn!) accent blew my fucking mind.

Apathy

Chinese Jamaicans and Caucasian Jamaicans are the ones that always throw me off. One of my ex 's mom was Chinese Jamaican

I remember when I was a kid and my school had one Chinese girl, and hearing her speak with a London (Lahndahn!) accent blew my fucking mind.
Working in my industry, i met Asians from Toronto, Montreal, London UK, Melbourne Australia and Paris.

2nd generationners adopt the locals' accent where they grew up.

Same applies with French: Quebec and France

Raven117

Y'all need to get out more.

Hell, in Houston when rodeo hits, you get all types of cowboyed up folks. ,Hats, boots, tobacco, accents, the whole bit who you wouldn't dream you would ever see in such attire.

Recently, the Vietnamese in Houston have gotten into the Texas BBQ scene. And man, their spin on it is effing awesome.

Llyranor

Accents don't usually catch me off-guard. Over here most people of all ethnicities have the local accent.

There was just one time in an Asian supermarket in Texas when I heard a black woman speaking Vietnamese. It caught me by surprise because I wouldn't expect it at all, but it was awesome.

Another tidbit I found:

The interesting thing about Chinese men marrying Black women in the late 1800s is that Mae Jemison, the first African American woman to travel in space, did a DNA test in 2006 on PBS's African American Lives with Louis Gates and found out she had no had no discernible European ancestry, 84% sub-Saharan African descent, 13% East Asian, and 3% Native American. Researchers were unable to find a conclusive match for her in terms of a specific African tribe. Researchers explained her high East Asian ancestry (for black Americans) to the fact that Chinese laborers were sent to Mississippi - her family's ancestral state - in the late 1800s, so apparently one of her great-grandfathers may have been such a laborer. although she indicated that people had told her such during her travels to Asia. She figured that it was just traces of Native American ancestry.
Thanks for digging this stuff up. That was interesting to read.

Dazza

Then they would have just said Cantonese food.

Also, what does a Cantonese look like?

No, it's pretty obvious it's chinese/southern US BBQ fusion. I mean the BBQ ribs and chicken are right there in the video.

Do you think BBQ ribs and chicken only exist Southern USA? I'd even go so far to say they be eating Taishan style Cantonese style food, aside from the mention of bacon in their fried rice it looks exactly what I'm used to seeing.

Top Bottom