• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

America's changing religious identity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
https://www.prri.org/research/american-religious-landscape-christian-religiously-unaffiliated/

The American religious landscape is undergoing a dramatic transformation. White Christians, once the dominant religious group in the U.S., now account for fewer than half of all adults living in the country. Today, fewer than half of all states are majority white Christian. As recently as 2007, 39 states had majority white Christian populations. These are two of the major findings from this report, which is based on findings from PRRI’s 2016 American Values Atlas, the single largest survey of American religious and denominational identity ever conducted. This landmark report is based on a sample of more than 101,000 Americans from all 50 states and includes detailed information about their religious affiliation, denominational ties, political affiliation, and other important demographic attributes.

PRRI-AVA-Religious-Diversity-by-State-1.png

chartf1szn.jpeg

chart1twszl.jpeg

A shit ton more info at the link.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I think it's odd that this has subgroups of Christianity based on race.

Yeah. And why does Judaism and Islam just get one entry each on this chart, while Christianity gets like ten? Tomato, tomato.

Either way, the "unaffiliated" group growing (if I'm reading this right) is a good sign.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Yeah. And why does Judaism and Islam just get one entry each on this chart, while Christianity gets like ten?

...They clearly went by population, and given how this was done, ethnic composition of Christianity, by far the largest group.

My guess would be that neither group is comparatively large enough justify such a division outside of the ungraphed full data-set.

This is what I mean.

Yeah. And why does Judaism and Islam just get one entry each on this chart, while Christianity gets like ten? Tomato, tomato.

Either way, the "unaffiliated" group growing (if I'm reading this right) is a good sign.

My guess would be that neither group is comparatively large enough justify such a division outside of the ungraphed full data-set.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I think it's odd that this has subgroups of Christianity based on race.

I can see why it looks odd for sure. But I do think there's point to it.

What if America is exactly the same percentage of religiosity that it always was.... But the more nuanced picture is that the white population has trended towards irreligiousity while the traditionally Catholic hispanic immigration has offset that decline? That's something we'd want to understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom