• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amnesia Fortnight 2017 - Developed by Double Fine, Documented by 2 Player Productions

LegionX

the VHX/Steam videos will come later down the line.... First up will be the YouTube uploads, then when it's all done they will edit the videos and fix up any issues before releasing final high quality versions later. This is how it has worked with the previous AF's anyways

the VHX/Steam videos will come later down the line.... First up will be the YouTube uploads, then when it's all done they will edit the videos and fix up any issues before releasing final high quality versions later. This is how it has worked with the previous AF's anyways

Yep, they mention that in a disclaimer at the start of the Day 0 vid.

Which is fine for me cause I love watching 2PP's stuff, even when it's in the "get it out so people can follow the story" mode.

Then I watch it again once it's all polished up and fall in love with the videos again.

"Vampire doing makeup but you can't see your face in the mirror" is exactly the kind of idea I was hoping to see in I Have No Idea What I'm Doing.

iFirez

I kinda wish more people were into this. Even the official forums seem quiet for it. Just watching them advance in such a small time is so inspiring. I do wish the Docs came out quicker but I guess us editors have to sleep some days - I'd totally just stay awake the entire 2 weeks to pump that content out though... it seems like such an amazing atmosphere to be around.

I kinda wish more people were into this. Even the official forums seem quiet for it. Just watching them advance in such a small time is so inspiring. I do wish the Docs came out quicker but I guess us editors have to sleep some days - I'd totally just stay awake the entire 2 weeks to pump that content out though... it seems like such an amazing atmosphere to be around.

To be honest, I'd kind of forgotten this was on for a long time because I was busy playing Persona 5. I missed the voting period entirely.

SL128

The lack of daily videos is definitely making me less engaged (even though the dev forum posts are great), but I think this is probably my overall favorite AF year in terms of having interesting projects.

Ash735

As interesting as the previous ones were though, I'm not surprised there's little interest this time around, as I mentioned during the voting stages, none of the best games ever actually get made into full titles, which is a shame, as you just end up with demos with huge potential that remain dead on a shelf as they move on to something else.

It's like why bother getting invested? Yes, it's interesting to see, but for people who have done so twice before we know how Double Fine usually handles things at this point so it just feels like a time sink for something that will never get full backing or see the light of day.

PaulloDEC

I'm as interested as ever, I guess I just don't have an awful lot to say this early on.

I can't wait to watch Episode 2 when I get home tonight.

CzarTim

I had a hard time visualizing The Gods Must Be Hungry during the pitch, but I really like the look of it. Can't wait to try it.

Aaron

As interesting as the previous ones were though, I'm not surprised there's little interest this time around, as I mentioned during the voting stages, none of the best games ever actually get made into full titles, which is a shame, as you just end up with demos with huge potential that remain dead on a shelf as they move on to something else.

It's like why bother getting invested? Yes, it's interesting to see, but for people who have done so twice before we know how Double Fine usually handles things at this point so it just feels like a time sink for something that will never get full backing or see the light of day.
Yeah out of everything from last time the game they decided to make was Headlander since it was Tim's personal pick, and he gives that as a reason he gets a vote this time? If anything it should be the opposite. Pretty much any of the prototype games from last time would have been a more interesting game to make into a full title, and none of the prototypes this time seem like they have any chance of becoming full titles.

PaulloDEC

Yeah out of everything from last time the game they decided to make was Headlander since it was Tim's personal pick, and he gives that as a reason he gets a vote this time? If anything it should be the opposite. Pretty much any of the prototype games from last time would have been a more interesting game to make into a full title, and none of the prototypes this time seem like they have any chance of becoming full titles.

You guys are getting way too hung up on the "maybe they'll get made into full games" part of this. That was never the big selling point of AF (by which I refer to the public-facing version we've had the chance to take part in); the point was to get a detailed look at the process of building a game prototype within a short time-frame and then to get a chance to play those prototypes at the end. That's it.

You guys are getting way too hung up on the "maybe they'll get made into full games" part of this. That was never the big selling point of AF (by which I refer to the public-facing version we've had the chance to take part in); the point was to get a detailed look at the process of building a game prototype within a short time-frame and then to get a chance to play those prototypes at the end. That's it.

I agree, this is really best thought of as a creative exercise/research and development that you get to have special insight into, not as an incubator for finished games. The fact that it's happened in the past to a bunch of prototypes is probably more an indication of the quality of the ideas, rather than a raison d'etre for the game jam.

I do wonder if not livestreaming the daily standups is part of the reason for the relative lack of interest. Those were neat to watch in 2014, and I felt like I had a better sense of what each game was (and the challenges each had to overcome) because of it.

Parsnip

I didn't watch the livestreams last time so I'm not really missing them this year either, I do wish the daily videos were a little longer though.
I'm as interested to see how things shake out as ever, but since none of my votes got picked I'm more just looking to see how the new and returning team leaders do their thing.
That's also why I don't really have a lot to say about the games, at least not yet.

They've added four new prototypes from other devs to the $1 tier. I assume you'll get them around the same time as the Double Fine prototypes.

iFirez

faceroll.gif.6a1b0a1765ab02eefaea116c086e3b72.gif

Kiln has physical animations back in and they're hilarious. They've actually got multiplayer working too - https://forums.doublefine.com/topic/17193-the-daily-screenshot-thread/ for all the latest screenshots from the team.

ezgif-1-ada2fbe10f.gif.dcfe3696eda5d0c6811699f6171077eb.gif

The Gods Must Be Hungry is also taking a really cool approach to mobility and I love their character design - https://forums.doublefine.com/topic/17249-day-7-update/ for the latest news.

Gisele

Banned
I basically want the games that the general gaming population doesn't care about:

Mega Flora
Oota's Songs of Happiness
Fresh

I thought too during the voting period, but I've been really pleasantly surprised with the quality of the games they're working on this time around.

faceroll.gif.6a1b0a1765ab02eefaea116c086e3b72.gif

Kiln has physical animations back in and they're hilarious. They've actually got multiplayer working too - https://forums.doublefine.com/topic/17193-the-daily-screenshot-thread/ for all the latest screenshots from the team.

ezgif-1-ada2fbe10f.gif.dcfe3696eda5d0c6811699f6171077eb.gif

The Gods Must Be Hungry is also taking a really cool approach to mobility and I love their character design - https://forums.doublefine.com/topic/17249-day-7-update/ for the latest news.

The spirits are so cute! I really hope Kiln pans out and is more than just a silly tech demo. I can see them making an interesting For Honor style game with it given adequate resources.

iFirez

I really wish these documentary episodes came out quicker, their editor needs to have a fire lit under them; I assume the issue is sorting through the rushes and making good selects for all the different teams while also striking a balance between all 4. But the edits are so simple and straightforward I don't see why we're so many days behind on the release schedule. I also just really really love this series and seeing the passion and stress merge together to make really awesome games.

Can't wait for more, I hope we get a couple of episodes this week as the actual Amnesia Fortnight ends this week so.

Bonus Gif (we're at Day 9 of the actual Fortnight now so very close to the end):
KilnWater2.gif.a29055a8fa5948863ef41ca26699b6e9.gif

I'm waiting on updates from the other teams for Day 9 too.

SL128

I really wish these documentary episodes came out quicker, their editor needs to have a fire lit under them; I assume the issue is sorting through the rushes and making good selects for all the different teams while also striking a balance between all 4. But the edits are so simple and straightforward I don't see why we're so many days behind on the release schedule. I also just really really love this series and seeing the passion and stress merge together to make really awesome games.

Can't wait for more, I hope we get a couple of episodes this week as the actual Amnesia Fortnight ends this week so.
I'm waiting on updates from the other teams for Day 9 too.
The issue is that one of the editors is running an AF team and hasn't been able to edit.

iFirez

The issue is that one of the editors is running an AF team and hasn't been able to edit.
They hired a new editor to fill that role though. And one editor worth his salt should be able to edit one of these in 7-8 hours at most.

Joqu

It's been a lot of fun watching these but yeah, the rate the episodes have been coming out at has been a little bit of a bummer.

I absolutely love how Kiln has been shaping up, so I do hope that one gets to be a full game someday. Game's got a great art style.

iFirez

It's been a lot of fun watching these but yeah, the rate the episodes have been coming out at has been a little bit of a bummer.

I absolutely love how Kiln has been shaping up, so I do hope that one gets to be a full game someday. Game's got a great art style.

They say the prototype is pretty much done now.... they've even added emotes.

emotes.gif.d9090953e6161b6b40b5f5bc6076555c.gif

iFirez

All the prototypes turned out fantastic, this stream has had me go from amazement to painful laughter its been so good.

I was kind of surprised that out of the four finished prototypes The Gods Must Be Hungry is probably the only one I really want to be a game. I thought Darwin's Dinner would have real animals that you hunted with like a bow and arrow, but I was pretty disappointed with the finished prototype. They also mentioned playing Kiln on Steam, so I'm guessing we'll be getting Steam keys for the Double Fine prototypes at least, hopefully for the other devs prototypes as well.

Boem

This was amazing. Kiln especially looks like it could be really special. Looks like the perfect PSN couch party game. Loved the look of that entire thing.

The VR game that consisted of DF employees torturing Tim was just one of those golden moments. Right up there with Giantbomb discovering Dubstep mode in Kinect Party back in the day.

Fishious

I hadn't really followed their progress this year after initially buying the bundle. I'd pretty much forgotten about it when I coincidentally happened to run across the stream as it was starting.

I have to say all the games looked great. It's mind boggling how much progress they've made in such a short time. The stream was a fun watch, but the I Have No Idea What I'm Doing part was really great. Watching Tim play it while everyone screamed instructions at him was hilarious. My favorite part was him looking down at his bony VR hands and scythe saying, "I'm the grim reaper? I know what I have to do...". It was just the right mix of confusion, epiphany, and grim resignation. I'll have to prod one of my friends to bring his Vive next time he's in town so my friends and I can try out the prototype.

On the one hand I wish I'd waited and watched all the documentary in order, but the stream was funny and now I've actually got motivation to watch it all instead of push it off indefinitely.

PaulloDEC

I watched most of the wrap-up stream today. Kiln and Gods remain my favourites (and they both looked fantastic, I'd be over the moon if either one got turned into a full product) but I thought I Have No Idea looked really great too. Darwin's I think might be one of those ideas that sounds better on paper, but if they were able to wrap it in a compelling survival game it might be a whole different story.

Looking forward to going back in time and seeing the rest of the documentary episodes. Pity we couldn't have had them on-time, but eh, that's how it goes sometimes.

Gods was so polished. It had an intro scene, a great stage, good mechanics, a fair amount of humor, and it looked really well put together by the end of it.

Some technical issues but that's how these always are.

Gisele

Banned
Episode 5 is up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rifXrmCYW6g

I think I'm not going to touch any of the prototypes or watch the closing stream until I've watched the episodes.

it's so sad seeing them not having fun with the game yet

I've been there before with a project. You're just praying that when you keep adding more and more stuff to it it eventually comes together and is enjoyable, but you don't know for sure that it will :(

> A total of 4 game pitches will be developed into prototypes. Two game pitches will be picked by the votes of the public, Tim will pick another pitch, and the employees vote for the final one.

So... all 4 are going to be made?

If the community picks two, then Schafer picks one of the remaining....

Gisele

Banned
> A total of 4 game pitches will be developed into prototypes. Two game pitches will be picked by the votes of the public, Tim will pick another pitch, and the employees vote for the final one.

There were a couple dozen pitches. Four of them were selected and developed in the past two weeks. We're just waiting for the video documentaries at this point.

Parsnip

There were 25 pitches from which 4 prototypes were made.

Considering how behind they are, am I wrong in thinking that the edits seem kind of clunkier this time, even compared to the rushes of previous years? I'd guess losing Asif to Gods probably hurt their output.

The closing ceremony stream was awesome, getting to see videogames from other devs like Ooblets and getting to see Rebecca Cordingley along with Lexie Dostal from Hitbox. Can't wait for Spire!

Seeing the four games in action, and the polish, shows how talented Double Fine devs are in just a couple of weeks to produce all that much. Especially The Gods Must Be Hungry and Darwin's Dinner.

the_gods_must_be_hungry_2_by_digi_matrix-db7kt38.gif

NoPiece

Considering how behind they are, am I wrong in thinking that the edits seem kind of clunkier this time, even compared to the rushes of previous years? I'd guess losing Asif to Gods probably hurt their output.

They mentioned that they brought in a new editor to try to make up for losing Asif, and it didn't work out. So that kind of explains both the clunky edits, then the drop off in output after the first couple episodes.

Top Bottom