• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amnesia: The Bunker announced. Coming March 2023

Sorne

Hm, intriguing. I LOVE soma and ofc the original amnesia. The new one (rebirth) didn't really grab my attention for more than a few hours.
But this looks and sounds pretty interesting, even though it seems a bit similar.

ss_9174ec9706aa741f4f02327abcb1389aee50751a.jpg

ss_9b76a5884a33d51e67a4b46ff1037dab6e49b354.jpg

ss_b40c38f96488d79fbb7f88b98feeb42cc2970d1b.jpg

ss_af954d3a71cd3f24b1404773e488c819a58ded27.jpg

ss_4adc588bf1ac863314208dfcf9c90ac2a7d02ecd.jpg

FEATURES
  • Dynamic and ever-present monster that reacts to player actions.
  • Constant tension - Time is not on your side.
  • Tactile and physics based interactions with the world.
  • Scavenge for resources and craft tools to aid your survival.
  • Multiple solutions to problem solving in a non-linear open world.

Kikorin

WAS THAT A GUN!? Fucking IN! I disliked all the amnesia games cause there was no gameplay really but now they have my attention
A gun with 1 bullet 🤔😆

Btw I'm surprised this series is still going, I played the first one on PC years ago and was so fucking scary, but really good too.

D-ray

I really don't even know what "Amnesia" stands for at this point.
At first it was a beautiful immersive horror puzzle game (The Dark Descent), then a weird walking simulator (A Machine For Pigs), then an interactive movie (Rebirth) and now a first person shooter?

Expecting it to be scary is out of the way, as Penumbra Overture wasn't that much scary due to the fact that you could defend yourself, so please let it be an ACTUAL game. With things to do.

Do you recommend the original Amnesia to me?
Depends.
If you are looking for a REAL horror game, yes, definitely, NO DOUBT.
If you are looking for a walking simulator with intrusive plot, then you might just play either Soma or Amnesia Rebirth.

Last edited:

Trunim

I liked Amnesia: Rebirth. It was a game that I looked forward to, since I was a big fan of Soma. Actually not so much of the other Amnesia games. It was a mysterious and strange world that I got to experience during a time in my life that I miss.

MiguelItUp

Okay, I respected the Amnesia games, but I think this is the first time I'm genuinely wanting to play it. This sounds pretty terrifying on paper, lol.

Especially these beats...
  • Constant tension - Time is not on your side.
I hate these, so much that I wanna check it out, lmao.

My kind of game. Can’t wait.

Pet peeve…they don’t got to breathe like the hot every respitory problem. It doesn’t add tension.

Last edited:

HL3.exe

• Multiple solutions to problem solving in a non-linear open world.
They seem to go full immersive sim finally! Really excited!

Denton

I wish Frictional would try something completely different. SOMA was brilliant, Rebirth was kinda boring (left it after four hours) and I am just fed up with these games at this point.

Mozzarella

Frictional Games are hit/miss type, lets hope its a hit.
I loved the first Amnesia, it had amazing atmosphere, probably among the best.
Soma had a great thought provoking story.

But Fricitional makes a common amatuer mistake and its "applying your game mechanics to the new title automatically"
The mechanics they made for Amnesia worked well for it, but they tried to apply the same for Rebirth when the whole game needed different ones, which made the game worse.

I think they realized that and now they are trying something new, so im excited.

Do you recommend the original Amnesia to me?

Yes DO IT!

Amnesia Dark Descent is a terrifying oppressive game with strong lovecraftian horror atmosphere, puzzles rooted in physics and logic and interesting story, the game uses its sounds greatly, from the OST to the sound effects, its all so well done, by such indie game standards, its fantastic.
The game has no combat so if you are the type to need that then avoid, but if you can digest a game without combat then dont waste any more time, grab the game and wait until everyone is sleep, put those juicy headphones on, turn the lights off and enjoy the ride, its really scary game. I loved it.

Edit: sorry quoted the wrong person.

Last edited:

spons

Gold Member
First Amnesia was fucking horrifying, I mean what the hell.
Soma was good, but I never understood the part where you 'roll the dice' or some shit. There is no dice involved here, they were just copies of minds.

But Fricitional makes a common amatuer mistake and its "applying your game mechanics to the new title automatically"
The mechanics they made for Amnesia worked well for it, but they tried to apply the same for Rebirth when the whole game needed different ones, which made the game worse.

I think they realized that and now they are trying something new, so im excited.

Yes DO IT!

Amnesia Dark Descent is a terrifying oppressive game with strong lovecraftian horror atmosphere, puzzles rooted in physics and logic and interesting story, the game uses its sounds greatly, from the OST to the sound effects, its all so well done, by such indie game standards, its fantastic.
The game has no combat so if you are the type to need that then avoid, but if you can digest a game without combat then dont waste any more time, grab the game and wait until everyone is sleep, put those juicy headphones on, turn the lights off and enjoy the ride, its really scary game. I loved it.

Edit: sorry quoted the wrong person.
I'm closer to trying it out eventually...did you play the Prenumbra series? I think that might have combat in it, but don't hear much about that series...

Mozzarella

I'm closer to trying it out eventually...did you play the Prenumbra series? I think that might have combat in it, but don't hear much about that series...
I didn't play it, i just know about it but i think its on my backlog, appears to be a good atmospheric game as well, but i think the combat in it is extremely janky.
It's their only game that i am yet to play.

Last edited:

D-ray

I don't think they are trying to apply the older game mechanics to the new ones, or Amnesia Rebirth would have been way better. Or HELL, this new Amnesia wouldn't even have weapons in the first place according to what they learned throughout the years.

They removed the immersive atmosphere of the first and original, in favor of a overly talkative character that ruined the entire game (kinda like Soma, but atleast that game didn't have the Amnesia name on it). They TRIED to put a "sanity" mechanic to the game, but it seemed more like an excuse to call it Amnesia rather than giving it a TRUE new horror mechanic.
They even removed the "survival horror" from it putting the Adventure Mode. What's the point of making it scary if you can't even die?

It might sound exaggerated, but Frictional now days seems to think more on making it's public bigger rather than making actual good horror games.

D-ray

First Amnesia was fucking horrifying, I mean what the hell.
Soma was good, but I never understood the part where you 'roll the dice' or some shit. There is no dice involved here, they were just copies of minds.
I think by "roll the dice" you mean the part where
Caterine tries to convince Simon that there's a chance for them to reach the ARC even tho it's not true. So it wouldn't just give up halfway because it has no purpose anyway.

Soma was good, just not a good horror game. Or a game for that matters.
The protagonist talking completely breaks the immersion, and the puzzles are not real puzzles but just "click everything until it works".
It's a good interactive movie, but hell, even Penumbra Requiem is a better game compared to Soma.

Last edited:

Fart Knight

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Only finished SOMA and Rebirth. Never been a fan of the hide and seek gameplay but will try this anyway because GP baby!

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Soma was fantastic but not for it's gameplay. I preferred the safe monsters mode.
The ambience and story was something else.
This looks like it's going back to amnesia style... which I never liked as much as Penumbra

attempted for the third time to get through rebirth a couple weeks ago & failed again - i just actively dislike the story/narrator, & can't seem to care what the hell happens next...

loved all the previous games, but, yeah, i'm going 'wait & see' on this one...

Top Bottom